Iowa City Media

You are Gopher fan, right? Just curious as I see your moniker is Urbandale. Any hoots...I will also say that Ferentz has done a super great job down there. Very commendable and lots of respect for him until now. If he wants to defend the strength coach and his son and if he knew about any of this beforehand ...this makes him accountable. Just sayin'.
I'm a Gopher born and bred, but living in the Des Moines area for the past 25 years (not going to lie, it's not a bad place to raise a family).

I've always had respect for Ferentz and how he runs a program, but I'm very curious to see how all this shakes out. I believe he'll sacrifice Chris Doyle and circle the wagons around Brian Ferentz and hope to ride it out.

The S&C coach put multiple players in the hospital with severe rhabdomyolysis a number of years ago and he still has the job.
If anyone thinks the HC or AD is going to fire him because he contributes to a racist climate in the FB program you also believe in the tooth fairy.

The endemic paranoia in some MN fans about the media and the world at large regarding how the football team is regarded is either unseemly or laughable.
For the record the Milwaukee paper covers WI sports as much as the Madison paper does. I read them on line and "scandals" and controversies are covered.
No, but you go ahead believing you are reading everything.

The S&C coach put multiple players in the hospital with severe rhabdomyolysis a number of years ago and he still has the job.
If anyone thinks the HC or AD is going to fire him because he contributes to a racist climate in the FB program you also believe in the tooth fairy.

Yeah, he's not going to survive this.

Yeah, he's not going to survive this.
Well Ferentz has always showed that he's a solid coach...from watching him on the sidelines to his post game speeches...but we don't know what goes on 'inside' that program. I'm willing to hear the whole story and try not to take sides.
<edit> I'd like to see the University of Iowa do an investigation...but will they?

However, in making a comparison of various Universities...if this was to happen here at the U...The Coach and the entire coaching staff would be fired. Guaranteed. That's just my opinion.

Well Ferentz has always showed that he's a solid coach...from watching him on the sidelines to his post game speeches...but we don't know what goes on 'inside' that program. I'm willing to hear the whole story and try not to take sides.
<edit> I'd like to see the University of Iowa do an investigation...but will they?

However, in making a comparison of various Universities...if this was to happen here at the U...The Coach and the entire coaching staff would be fired. Guaranteed. That's just my opinion.

An outside firm is handling the investigation on Doyle. A group of current and former players, headed by former Packer Mike Daniels, are looking internally for ways to improve. In Sunday’s press conference, Kirk said he asked him alumni if they could support the program moving forward if he was the head coach and the answer was “yes”. That’s a tough question to ask, simply because you fear the inverse. That’s why I am proud of Kirk Ferentz.

Prediction: Kirk Ferentz gets fired by the end of June along with his whole staff.

The endemic paranoia in some MN fans about the media and the world at large regarding how the football team is regarded is either unseemly or laughable.
For the record the Milwaukee paper covers WI sports as much as the Madison paper does. I read them on line and "scandals" and controversies are covered.
The more negativity, whether warranted or not, is not good for any program. Yes, they might “cover” a story but it’s buried on the back page. Twin Cites media beat a dead horse. Every little negative thing gets used in recruiting and if you can’t understand that then you are laughable.

The sexual assaults etc. by players on the team are associated with the University and were handled pretty quietly. The media here is 10 times larger than in Madison or Iowa City. We COVERED the slimeball Teague garbage for how many days on the front page, one ? Cephus was covered several times on the front page.
Lmao handled quietly? The one with hundreds of protestors in the middle of winter? It was literally the major news story in CFB at the time, and the bowl protest brought even more attention to it. You love to have selective memory and not use facts when it comes to the gophers programs, not hard to see you can't get past your personal feelings on the previous regimes (some current). Media is not 10x larger here either but would love to see the numbers on that one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and standard though, some choose to not live in reality or use facts.

Lmao handled quietly? The one with hundreds of protestors in the middle of winter? It was literally the major news story in CFB at the time, and the bowl protest brought even more attention to it. You love to have selective memory and not use facts when it comes to the gophers programs, not hard to see you can't get past your personal feelings on the previous regimes (some current). Media is not 10x larger here either but would love to see the numbers on that one. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and standard though, some choose to not live in reality or use facts.
Well said Minn!!!

Let us also not forget that “Basketball Coach Doesn’t Fill Up Rental Car Gas Tanks” was also front page news a few years ago.

The coverage of this story down here in Iowa has been ridiculous. We're talking something that's prompted national writers like Pat Forde and Stewart to write columns about, and has been a topic of discussion on numerous national talk shows, and led the features on ESPN.com...but the local media are strangely placid.

More than 50 athletes have come forward to allege inappropriate behavior in the Ferentz regime. That's not just a stray voice or two.

The theory is that the writers and broadcast guys are so terrified of losing access to the University that they're tiptoeing around the issue as quietly as they can without ignoring it completely. Athletic Director Gary Barta is a ghost.

No way an issue of this magnitude is pillow-smothered in the Twin Cities.

The coverage of this story down here in Iowa has been ridiculous. We're talking something that's prompted national writers like Pat Forde and Stewart to write columns about, and has been a topic of discussion on numerous national talk shows, and led the features on ESPN.com...but the local media are strangely placid.

More than 50 athletes have come forward to allege inappropriate behavior in the Ferentz regime. That's not just a stray voice or two.

The theory is that the writers and broadcast guys are so terrified of losing access to the University that they're tiptoeing around the issue as quietly as they can without ignoring it completely. Athletic Director Gary Barta is a ghost.

Agree

I never thought I would see Gopher football as the cover story on the main CNN.com homepage, but we sure did when the bowl boycott broke. It went beyond CFB for a day or two into the biggest story in sports and also a top story in national news.

Is the Iowa media market different than the Twin Cities? Yes, unequivocally. Stewart and Forde have had an odd obsession with Kirk since the mid-2000s, usually launching a column every other year about how Kirk is overpaid and overrated as a coach. A local media source with a forum platform, Hawkeye Nation and Rob Howe, wrote the DJK story and removed it site’’s ownership questioned the journalistic integrity of Howe.

I never thought I would see Gopher football as the cover story on the main CNN.com homepage, but we sure did when the bowl boycott broke. It went beyond CFB for a day or two into the biggest story in sports and also a top story in national news.
Me neither, nor did I think built wouldn't have the nads to respond to his false statements

Prediction: Kirk Ferentz gets fired by the end of June along with his whole staff.

I'd be a bit shocked by that... they've got a built in bad guy to fire... that mgiht be enough for them.

Not Iowa City media, but the Des Moines Register today had [flipping the pages to make sure I've counted correctly] exactly one article on the issue, and it was about [re-reading it to make sure I've got it right] how the controversy isn't affecting football recruiting at all.

Honestly...this is such a sterile bubble down here. I still think S&C coach Chris Doyle will be let go, but everything else is going to fade unless the national media persist.

This is exactly what I’m talking about!!! Same thing happens in Madison but nobody seems to care! Such an advantage in recruiting, ugg!

Not Iowa City media, but the Des Moines Register today had [flipping the pages to make sure I've counted correctly] exactly one article on the issue, and it was about [re-reading it to make sure I've got it right] how the controversy isn't affecting football recruiting at all.

Honestly...this is such a sterile bubble down here. I still think S&C coach Chris Doyle will be let go, but everything else is going to fade unless the national media persist.

The Iowa beat reporter for the Register is on a two week furlough. That's not to say another reporter couldn't, or shouldn't, take up the reigns, but the normal voice isn't able to write.

The Iowa beat reporter for the Register is on a two week furlough. That's not to say another reporter couldn't, or shouldn't, take up the reigns, but the normal voice isn't able to write.
That's interesting. With how razor thin the profit margins are for newspapers, it wouldn't surprise me if there simply wasn't anyone else to shoulder the load.

It makes me sad that newspapers are going through their own Paleogene extinction.

Chris Doyle is out as S&C coach at Iowa. This is not unexpected. I strongly suspect he was paid handsomely and made to sign a non-disclosure agreement in blood.

This will completely satisfy the local Iowa outlets. They will consider the matter closed, and gush about how the Ferentz regime is blazing a brave new trail in race relations.

The only loose end, and this may be a ways down the road, is the inevitable lawsuit brought by multiple former players.

Chris Doyle is out as S&C coach at Iowa. This is not unexpected. I strongly suspect he was paid handsomely and made to sign a non-disclosure agreement in blood.

This will completely satisfy the local Iowa outlets. They will consider the matter closed, and gush about how the Ferentz regime is blazing a brave new trail in race relations.

The only loose end, and this may be a ways down the road, is the inevitable lawsuit brought by multiple former players.
Link for those interested...

Freezing cold take

Good Lord. Get a grip. If you believe the end result is a recruiting advantage, you need help.

Get a grip? Have you been living under a rock? Anything and everything is used in recruiting and the less a program is in the news for stupid things like filling up a gas tank the better. You’re so use to the Badger media writing whatever Lord Barry wants you’re delusional!!!

So how much does the tooth fairy pay per tooth now?

Top Bottom