Iowa-Becky predictions

restovich

Reaction score
This worked well last week for Wiscy-Purdue. Thread for actual predictions of our Chief rival's game. I'll go with Hawkeye 17 Becky 13.

This worked well last week for Wiscy-Purdue. Thread for actual predictions of our Chief rival's game. I'll go with Hawkeye 17 Becky 13.
I'll go 13-9 Iowa. If Iowa's run defense can force Wisconsin to throw there is a great chance that Iowa adds some more INTs to the league leading total. I am betting there will be lots of field goals in this one.

I'm all for an untimely earthquake opening a void and swallowing both teams. Did I say that out loud? :oops:

I'm all for an untimely earthquake opening a void and swallowing both teams. Did I say that out loud? :oops:
You may have said it but I doubt you will find many on here that will be offended by the thought or who haven't had a similar thought about this or other Wisconsin/Iowa matchups :)

wisco disco 31 iowa 10

I think wisconsin is ready to break out. Don't ask why.

Iowa 17
Wisconsin 10

It's going to be ugly. And I think Iowa will win the turnover battle.

Badgers’ defense is awesome. Iowa won’t score much without turnovers and short fields. Wisconsin will probably run 80%, so that Mertz can’t toss several interceptions yielding field position to Iowa. {Sound familiar?) If Iowa can contain Wisconsin’s two beast RB’s (Purdue couldn’t), this could be a low-scoring, defensive slugfest. I’m going with Wisconsin, because it appears to have a better running game. Neither team has an impressive passing game.

WI 24-17.

Iowa can't handle the improved rushing O-line for WI.

Here's a question: from a gophers perspective, who do we want to win? An Iowa win pretty much knocks becky out of the race, but basically means we have to win out. A Becky win makes the West chaos but could mean not winning in Iowa City isn't necessarily the end.

Thoughts?

Seems like two teams going in different directions plus it is home for the three point favorites.

Iowa’s defense teams up with Mertz for a score (or spectacular field position that leads to a score), but the moderately surging Skunks win this one 27-17.

The month has run out on the flavor-of-the-month Squawks.

I'm going with Wisconsin. I think they are on an upswing. Iowa's rushing attack isn't very good anyway so I think Wisconsin can force them to pass and concentrate more on stopping that. In contrast, I think Iowa very much has to concentrate on Wisconsin's rushing attack and won't be able to force Mertz to throw much more than Wisconsin wants him to do. I'm going to say 17-13.

Here's a question: from a gophers perspective, who do we want to win? An Iowa win pretty much knocks becky out of the race, but basically means we have to win out. A Becky win makes the West chaos but could mean not winning in Iowa City isn't necessarily the end.

Thoughts?
Iowa losing probably helps as I don’t know if Becky stays clean the rest of the year. I suppose one could say the same for Iowa but the extra conference loss for Wisconsin eliminates their margin for error where Iowa has the grace

I want Wisconsin to win. I want Iowa’s soul to be squeezed like it was put into a lemon press by the time we take the field at Kinnick.

So far by my count, 10 predictions for Becky and 6 for Squawkeyes. And a coupla in the "giant meteor" vein, or wishing each could lose somehow.

I guess I think that both losing would be kind of cool. Lead story on ESPN. "Two annoying teams lose to each other......"

I have Wisconsin winning this one.
Something like 21-17

Ultimately we need to get to where worrying about who wins this games matter to us as much as worrying about Illinois playing Purdue.

Lestikow with some notes:

first really big oline Iowa has faced, their dline will be tested

Petras not very mobile; WI brings good pressure

Still some injury issues in Iowa secondary:

Matt Hankins’ in-game shoulder injury seemed to derail his performance, and a pretty pedestrian quarterback in Aidan O’Connell had little trouble finding soft spots in Iowa’s zone scheme. The cushions from Hankins and Terry Roberts were way too big. Certainly the absence of Riley Moss was significant against Purdue; Moss still ranks second nationally with four interceptions despite missing the last 1½ games with a left knee injury.

Unfortunately, Moss (6-1, 194) won't make it back this week, meaning Hankins and Roberts are Iowa's starting corners again.

"It's week by week right now; day by day, actually. So we're gaining ground," Ferentz said. "We're optimistic (about) next week (at Northwestern). But there's no guarantees."

While Wisconsin only threw eight passes against Purdue (and has thrown just 42 times during its three-game win streak), getting Moss back on Saturday would have helped. The senior provides three important things: Experience (with four seasons worth of starts), excellent communication (with his secondary mates) and a play-making ability that is essential to Iowa's ball-hawking backfield.

Wisconsin 3, Iowa 2

Top Bottom