Iowa and their mopeds?

rectangle_decal.jpg

WEAR A FRIGGIN' HELMET!

And a damned full-face helmet. Open Face = Closed Casket!

Scooters are small and hard to see.

WEAR A FRIGGIN' HELMET!

And a damned full-face helmet. Open Face = Closed Casket!

Scooters are small and hard to see.

To add a litte perspective, back in th early 80s everyone over age 15 (edit, back then you only had to be 15 to get a Moped license, in my town age 15 was when we started being allowed at the giant keg parties, so that was part of the moped/ scooter issue back then just like Iowa City today)and above was riding Mopeds, to school, to parties, to work, and often in groups late at night... I do not recall seeing anyone ever wearing a helmet, and despite a lot of poor decision making, I do not recall any big incidents.

Back to today, if you ever drive by the Gopher Football Complex on 15th St, even in cold weather, you see a large number of scooters. At least half the football players have scooters. If you spend much time driving around campus (I work nearby) and recognize Gopher players without helmets on, you will see a bunch of them near your car, on scooters.

As far Iowa City goes, they have an extremely aggressive police department, acting on a mandate from the top of th U of I to crack down hard on all things alcohol related, and U of I athletes are in no way overlooked or given any SEC type special treatment.

At the Universit yof MN, there is nothing approaching the Iowa heavy handed enforcement situation, and there is also the added benefit of being more invisible, even as a DI player in Minneapolis. In IC they actually hand out public intoxication to students who are walking around, and not especially intoxicated. That never happens here.

To add a litte perspective, back in th early 80s everyone over age 15 and above was riding Mopeds, to school, to parties, to work, and often in groups late at night... I do not recall seeing anyone ever wearing a helmet, and despite a lot of poor decision making, I do not recall any big incidents.

Back to today, if you ever drive by the Gopher Football Complex on 15th St, even in cold weather, you see a large number of scooters. At least half the football players have scooters. If you spend much time driving around campus (I work nearby) and recognize Gopher players without helmets on, you will see a bunch of them near your car, on scooters.

I currently have a 1963 Vespa VNB 125. Rock solid, unadulterated bone-stock condition, but with a crappy paint job and gunked up jets that I need to rebuild so I get in a few more rides before the snow flies.

I have spent countless hours on scooter specific sites looking for parts, getting advice on rebuilding engines, etc. Damn near every day there are stories (often with pictures!) that pop up about accidents, deaths, laying down scooters, etc. etc. etc.

Just because you personally don't know anyone who has had their head cracked open from a moped accident doesn't mean there isn't a risk.

I don't personally know a single person who's life has been saved due to wearing a seatbelt, but even if there wasn't a law I would still wear mine.

Just because you personally don't know anyone who has had their head cracked open from a moped accident doesn't mean there isn't a risk.

I don't personally know a single person who's life has been saved due to wearing a seatbelt, but even if there wasn't a law I would still wear mine.[/QUOTE]

I agree with these points, and it logically follows then that we all should wear helmets when driving our cars as well. Just like the NASCAR drivers, wearing some sort of helmet in our car, would also save lives.

A lost of things would save lives, for certain. Pedestrian helmets for crossing the street would also save lives. The city of St Paul could put a bin of helmets next the the red flags they have put out on Grand Avenue.

If it saves just one life it is worth it, right?

I don't personally know a single person who's life has been saved due to wearing a seatbelt, but even if there wasn't a law I would still wear mine.

I agree with these points, and it logically follows then that we all should wear helmets when driving our cars as well. Just like the NASCAR drivers, wearing some sort of helmet in our car, would also save lives.

A lost of things would save lives, for certain. Pedestrian helmets for crossing the street would also save lives. The city of St Paul could put a bin of helmets next the the red flags they have put out on Grand Avenue.

If it saves just one life it is worth it, right?

You're being ignorant.

Why not wear a helmet when you can accessorize?

20091125_lagerfeldhelmet_250x375.jpg

Got to admit I get nervous about this, if I heard right Ernie Heifort is out after getting in a scooter accident.
I drive the stretch from como to dinkytown alot for my job, I have seen gopher footballers almost get hit a few times, pulled over a few times, etc. I'm sure the coaches talk to them about this every year.

I myself took a left turn around a bus who was taking a right onto como, came around the blind corner slowly(thank god), and almost hit Eric Decker who had veered into my lane to avoid the wide turning bus. Had I been in a hurry or whatever I'm sure I would have hit him.

On a lighter note a bunch of the Olinemen must share a full blown Harley, I've seen Campion and Bak rolling down 15th. Pretty classic biker dude looking, especially Campion with his huge beard and flowing locks.

I myself took a left turn around a bus who was taking a right onto como, came around the blind corner slowly(thank god), and almost hit Eric Decker who had veered into my lane to avoid the wide turning bus. Had I been in a hurry or whatever I'm sure I would have hit him.

If you had hit him, it would have been something like this for you...

[/video]

Remember how Mason talked about seeing Barber and Maroney riding around on the same scooter? Mason said something about his life passing before his eyes!

Top Bottom