Iowa 2023-24

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Once again the Hawkeyes deserve their own season thread.

The transfer of Lauren Betts, a former No. 1 recruit, out of Stanford is a huge development in women’s college basketball. Former No. 1 recruits don’t transfer a lot in women’s hoops, especially not after only one season at an elite program such as Stanford.

Now that this has happened, however, other top programs are going to climb all over each other to get the 6-7 center with considerable upside. Betts could be the difference between the Final Four and the Sweet 16 — or between the Elite Eight and the national title — for a number of programs.

Betts played high school basketball in Colorado, so the Buffaloes could reasonably be viewed as a team which has a chance of landing Betts in the portal. Multiple CU players have already chosen to transfer, opening up roster spots for Betts and others if they want to move to Boulder.

Here’s a piece of background detail which points to the possibility of Betts going to Iowa to join Caitlin Clark:

If Betts does go to Iowa City, the Hawkeyes would join South Carolina and UConn as the main national championship contenders for 2024. There is a lot to keep track of here, and USC is definitely going to be interested in seeing how all of this plays out

I find Clark Annoying. I liked her until last year when her arrogance and complaining really came out. Certainly among the top 3-5 best college basketball players I have ever seen, could be #1 since I can't think of any better.

I find Clark Annoying. I liked her until last year when her arrogance and complaining really came out. Certainly among the top 3-5 best college basketball players I have ever seen, could be #1 since I can't think of any better.
I watched the long version of this pep rally. I also found Clark annoying. But, 1. I think she appreciated the fans turning out and is just trying to fire up the crowd with her delivery. 2. Her content is good, she just hasn’t found her master of ceremonies best self yet.

On the court I think it’s the same…just needs to refine her confidence. Her game is going to get better… I would bet her inspiration and likability improve as well.

Listening to her answers in interviews and reading about some of her NIL decisions she has a good heart.

Good news.

But bad news strong UCLA will be in the Big Ten the season after this next and even better.

Which is good for the Big Ten and ratings.

Good for Gophers if Minnesota wins.

A good year for Bluder

Iowa head women’s basketball coach Lisa Bluder has earned $310,000 in postseason bonuses following the Hawkeyes’ 2023 Final Four run, according to her contract obtained by The Gazette via a public records request.

Her base salary also will increase from $838,506 to $964,282 — a bump of 15 percent or $125,776 — effective July 1, because the team went to the Elite Eight or farther.

Depending on the team’s six-year graduation rate and academic progress rate, Bluder could receive up to $75,000 in additional incentives.

Iowa’s March Madness appearance adds another year to Bluder’s contract, which will now end in 2028.

After factoring in her new base salary, 2023 postseason bonuses, a longevity bonus and other guaranteed income, Bluder’s total income will be about $1.6 million.

Bluder’s income — about $1.3 million before the bonuses — puts her in the top tier of college coaches. A USA Today database last updated in 2022 ranked Bluder as the ninth-highest paid coach in the country at the time although she and other coaches have received raises since.

Some of the coaches Bluder competed against in late rounds of March Madness have earned considerably more, though.

LSU’s Kim Mulkey will earn about $2.5 million before a slew of postseason bonuses, according to her contract obtained by the Baton Rouge Advocate.

South Carolina’s Dawn Staley has a base salary of $3 million before postseason incentives, per The State newspaper in Columbia, S.C. Louisville’s Jeff Walz’s base salary before incentives is $1.7 million, per the Louisville Courier-Journal.

Next year, with Paige Bueckers and CC competing for NPOY, that will be fun to watch play out.
I think it is at least a 3 girl race. Team performance is a factor. LSU will be a top team and Angel Reese is being recognized as the top NIL money earner. Different thing but it's all about attention...LSU and Angel will compete and be showcased.
I do agree the anticipation of the race for that award is the biggest attention getter in college basketball.

A hometown game for Clark. No word of the preferred sports book of Hawkeye athletics.

IOWA CITY, Iowa — The University of Iowa men’s and women’s basketball teams will play a doubleheader at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines on Dec. 16, 2023.

The Hawkeye women will face Cleveland State and the men will battle Florida A&M with tip-off times to be announced at a later date. Tickets will go on sale May 24 at 10 a.m. (CT) at hyveetix.com.

The Iowa women’s basketball team is coming off a historic season in which it won a school-record 31 games en route to a NCAA national runner-up finish. This will mark the first time in program history the Hawkeye women have ever played in Wells Fargo Arena.

Iowa senior guard Caitlin Clark, who was the consensus National Player of the Year averaged 27.8 points per game, 8.6 assists per game and 7.1 boards per game, will return to her hometown. Gabbie Marshall and Kate Martin also are set to return to the Hawkeyes along with 2023 Big Ten Sixth Player of the Year, Hannah Stuelke. Marshall, Martin, and Stuelke were pivotal pieces in its second Final Four run in program history

Can we move all this Idiots Out Walking Around content 2 their fan board ? Lol n Thx !

Will Beth Goetz be Iowa's next AD?

It’s a new era for University of Iowa athletics.

Iowa is known for many things: a passionate fanbase, a steady stream of success across all sports, and a traditional way of doing things. Change is not something that’s really all that common in Iowa City. After 17 years of serving as Iowa’s athletics director, Gary Barta announced his upcoming August retirement.

An interim athletics director is set to be announced for Iowa next week. Current Deputy Director of Athletics and Chief Operating Officer Beth Goetz is the likely favorite for the interim position and could perhaps take over the role permanently.

A former All-American soccer player, Beth Goetz has done a lot in the world of collegiate athletics over the past few decades. She has worked in some notable athletics departments and is no stranger to taking over a role on short notice.

A rising star in the world of colligate athletics, Goetz has been recognized nationally for her efforts at Ball State, both on and off the field. Given her background and national recognition by the NCAA, Goetz appears to be a candidate perfectly suited to uphold Iowa’s great tradition, while bringing the Hawkeyes into a new era.

Here is a more detailed look at a name that many are speculating just might be the Hawkeyes’ next athletics director.

Goetz named as interim AD

Iowa named Beth Goetz, its deputy athletic director and chief operating officer, as interim athletic director beginning Aug. 1, when longtime AD Gary Barta retires.

Goetz, the former athletic director at Ball State, has been with Iowa since September. She's considered the favorite to replace Barta, who last month announced he will retire after 17 years as Iowa's athletic director. Iowa will begin its search for Barta's permanent replacement in early 2024.

"Beth is a talented and respected leader, not only at Iowa, but also at the national level in college athletics," university president Barbara Wilson said in a statement issued Thursday. "I am grateful she has agreed to lead this crucial part of our university, and I am confident she will generate a lot of excitement and forward momentum for our student-athletes, coaches, athletics staff and Hawkeye fans."

Chances seem possible to likely that Caitlin Clark plays two more years of college basketball because it would be the highest earning year of her life.
The Lynx seem as though they could finish poorly this year with high draft odds. But Paige Bueckers and Caitlin both may still be in college for another year, I would think.
Do the Lynx just continue to lose enough to draft high three years running?
Do Paige and Caitlin transfer to play for the Minnesota Gophers and start to build a greater corporate and fan foundation for their pro careers close to home with the Lynx?
Do the Lynx and Gophers have a partnership strategy to make this happen?
If you don't have any dreams then they won't come true.

Chances seem possible to likely that Caitlin Clark plays two more years of college basketball because it would be the highest earning year of her life.
The Lynx seem as though they could finish poorly this year with high draft odds. But Paige Bueckers and Caitlin both may still be in college for another year, I would think.
Do Paige and Caitlin transfer to play for the Minnesota Gophers and start to build a greater corporate and fan foundation for their pro careers close to home with the Lynx?
Like your dream! I was hoping Des Moines would get an expansion team and keep Caitlin close to home. Iowa would go crazy for that.

Like your dream! I was hoping Des Moines would get an expansion team and keep Caitlin close to home. Iowa would go crazy for that.
Big picture, I like yours but it makes it tough for me to spin a Gopher graduate transfer scenario. :)

WNBA may expand teams. Clarke would be a draw but not sure about Des Moines.

I like dreamers.

Love the optimism! Paige , unlike Caitlin, is not loyal 2 MN so she will follow the 💵. Love 2 have either of them play 4 the Lynx but will personally cheer louder 4 Rachel Banham !!

Two Final Four Teams Matchup:
Iowa (31-7) vs Virginia Tech (31-5) on November 9th in Charlotte.
Iowa received $150,000 to sign plus $50,000 in travel expenses.
Caitlin Clark mania is alive and well.

IOWA CITY, IA-- It's been a life-changing few months for Iowa star point guard Caitlin Clark. She captivated the sports world with her logo three-pointers, eye-popping statistics and led Iowa to its first ever appearance in the national title game. The Hawkeyes would fall to LSU 102-85 in championship.

It was a flurry of emotions when that final buzzer sounded. Months of endless work had come to an end, just short of the final overall goal. When Clark returned to Iowa City, she made it a priority to just check out and focus on her health for the next month.

"I tried to take a month to myself to relax because it was a very exhausting run for myself physically, mentally, and emotionally," Clark said on Wednesday during one of her first offseason availabilities. "To be able to play on that stage with that spotlight for that long, it can be very training, and that’s something I’ve tried to work on is taking time to myself and making sure my mental, emotional, and physical state are healthy. I was quite run down after that point, but the coaches made sure I wasn’t in the gym too soon which was very hard for me because I’m just somebody that loves to be in the gym."

Her 191 total points set a new record for a player in a single NCAA Tournament -- men's or women's. Her 60 assists set a new record for a player in women's tournament. Clark was one short of Mark Wade's 61 assists for UNLV in 1987, which is the men's record. No player, male or female, had averaged 40 points and 10 assists in back-to-back NCAA Tournament games before Clark.

Iowa was a trendy pick for the Final Four, but they still had to defeat previously undefeated South Carolina to reach the title game, which they did in a 77-73 win. Clark finished with 41 points, six rebounds and eight assists.

“The biggest thing that I tried to do for myself after the season is, I didn’t get to play another basketball game, so to move on and enjoy every single second of what our Final Four was. I feel like it got kind of distorted after the fact of what happened in the National Championship," Clark said. "I think there was a lot of what our team was proud of and wanted to celebrate. I understand we lost in the National Championship, but we had an outstanding year and probably exceeded a lot of people’s expectations."

Clark finished the season averaging 27.8 points per game, 8.6 assists per game, and 7.1 rebounds per game. She became the first player in NCAA Division I women’s basketball history to record 1,055 points and 320 assists in a single season. Both of which shattered Big Ten and school single season records.

The Hawkeyes are going to be a popular top-10 pick heading into the 2023-2024 season. They'll be without four-time all-Big Ten center Monika Czinano and McKenna Warnock, but the expectations aren't lowering in Iowa City.

“It’s definitely going to be different for us, but I think that’s the exciting challenge of it all is bringing the young people on. I’m really excited about Hannah Stuelke, and I think that’s obvious to the outside world. She’s going to be a special player, it’s just getting her to believe that in herself and getting her to believe what she can contribute to this team because we really need her. I think she’s probably the one I’m most excited about."

"I think our fans are going to be really excited and it’s going to be here before we know it. I’m going to try and soak in every second of it.”

The biggest award this week for Clark was being named Collegiate Woman Athlete of the Year. It’s a 47-year old award, and Clark is the first BIG WBB player to win the award, and the 3rd BIG athlete to ever win the award.

Last edited:

Iowa women’s basketball coach Lisa Bluder received a two-year contract extension through 2029 and will earn a $1 million base salary for the 2023-24 school year, according to her contract obtained by The Athletic from an open records request.

Bluder, who guided the Hawkeyes to their first NCAA championship game appearance in April, also will receive $400,000 in guaranteed supplemental income and a $250,000 longevity bonus. Bluder also will have $30,000 to distribute among her assistants and program staff at her discretion.
[...]
In addition, Bluder’s competitive incentives, personal awards and team academic markers remain intact. At the top includes $100,000 for winning the national title, $100,000 for reaching the Final Four and $50,000 apiece for Elite 8 and Sweet 16 appearances, $50,000 for winning 65 percent of her games and $50,000 for a Big Ten regular-season championship. Those bonuses are cumulative.

"Bluder also will have $30,000 to distribute among her assistants and program staff at her discretion."
Coach goes to a $1 million... hey look at me bump... and the assistants and staff get $2500 to $1500 bucks apiece divided equally or $5,000 and $500 however it is divided. Nice, yes but very distorted...I think you needed to massage the money so more went to staff.
Each year PJ gets his $ million dollar bump extension and he gets $200,000 for the staff and I always think that seems paltry when the boss is getting so much more. Yes, I realize there are more people in football and more revenue but there is a lot of people involved in basketball too, and $30,000 is not much to divide when it is program staff. Maryland, in another thread for instance, listed 21 people under this umbrella of "program staff". Congrats to all...just fighting for the assistants.

Last edited:

"Bluder also will have $30,000 to distribute among her assistants and program staff at her discretion."
Coach goes to a $1 million... hey look at me bump... and the assistants and staff get $2500 to $1500 bucks apiece divided equally or $5,000 and $500 however it is divided. Nice, yes but very distorted...I think you needed to massage the money so more went to staff.
Each year PJ gets his $ million dollar bump extension and he gets $200,000 for the staff and I always think that seems paltry when the boss is getting so much more. Yes, I realize there are more people in football and more revenue but there is a lot of people involved in basketball too, and $30,000 is not much to divide when it is program staff. Maryland, in another thread for instance, listed 21 people under this umbrella of "program staff". Congrats to all...just fighting for the assistants.

FWIW: the Iowa government data base says assistant coach Jan Jensen made $225k base and $315k total in 2022. Bluder clocked in at $1.3M

Top Bottom