Interview with Coach Murray Warmath

Thanks for sharing this.

As the man said, "They just don't make 'em like him anymore".

I especially enjoyed the story about the fight between two coaches on a handball court, "I could have whipped both of 'em; neither one knew how to fight!". Also, watching Murray's eyes light up as he describes NFL Hall of Famer Beattie Feathers' running style.

Again, thank you for posting! Beat 'Bama!

Thanks. Glad you enjoyed. I've always been intrigued with Coach Warmath. I'd never heard him speak before. Always wondered if he'd lost his Tennessee accent after so many years in Minnesota. Sounds like he lost none of it! Interesting that during the interview, Coach Warmath interacted with Johnny Majors as a coach would to a player. He did not seem to defer to Majors, a legend here, like you might expect. Which was interesting. I know Coach Warmath had mixed reviews as a coach. But I'll bet a lot of places (Tennessee included) would sign up for a coach who could win two conference titles and one national championship in 15 or so seasons. My favorite thing he did was winning the 1960 AP natty over Ole Miss, who I don't care for. I was also moved by an interview with Dr. Sandy Stephens that I can't find anymore. He said that while other coaches showed him sports stuff on recruiting visits, Coach Warmath took him to academic buildings and introduced him to professors. Well, he was born a Tennessean and passed away a Minnesotan. I'd say the best of both worlds. And we were able to beat Bama on Saturday. Postgame was one of the most surreal scenes I've ever seen at Neyland Stadium. Bama wasn't happy with the refs, to which I say cry me a river. Best of luck the rest of the way.

Thanks for posting. As a Bulldawg converted to a Gopher I thoroughly enjoyed watching your men beat 'Bama on Saturday. Good times in Knoxville for sure.

As for taking down the goalposts at Neyland Stadium...not too sure about that. However, we Gophers have our own goalpost memory that is the exact opposite of yours when I-O-W-A fans tried to take our goalposts through the doors of the Metrodome after a historic win (for them).

1666134122376.png

Needless to say they did not fit...

Your fans are smart enough to take the goalposts apart...so automatically Vols > I-O-W-A in the smarts department. Go Vols...

Top Bottom