International Gopher Football Game?

Don't know about going overseas - but I could see a game in Mexico or maybe Canada.

Obviously, as long as Covid is a thing, any kind of international travel is going to be very problematic.
At this point Covids going to be the "new seasonal flu" We have seen with Omnicron that its more contagious but less of the severe symptoms. Once we stop using it as a political weapon and we can all get on with our lives and in the fall when we get our flu shots (if you choose to get those) you can get your (annual Covid Shot) At this point the number of people have had either had Covid, got the vaccines and 12 boosters, and those who felt crappy for a week and probably didn't realize it was Covid have got to be to the point of close to herd status. Eventually we are going to run out of people who fit the "never had it" category and get back on with our lives pre 2020.

Why would we play one in third world Mexico? It's not a recruiting hotbed or an emerging market
It's not a recruiting hotbed, but is is an emerging market. It's easier for logistics, in the covid era in particular. It's also an easy sell to Minnesotans to travel to Mexico if you put that game at the cold end of the season. I just don't think we want to lose a late season home game for it.

Can’t see much value in a trip anywhere outside the US. Rather the Gophers scheduled a home/away series with USC, Texas or Miami - help recruiting way more.

UST used to (maybe still does?) have scrimmages in Winnipeg against a university up there. Half the game played CFL rules, half NCAA. There's some NCAA rule saying you can get essentially a free game once every couple years if you play there. Similar to the Hawaii rule, but not an official game. I'm not sure if there's any competition up there that would be worth the trip for a D1 program - or whether it's allowed for D1 - though since UST typically won those games.

While not quite international I think the Gophers should look at a Home and Home with Hawaii to start the year. Who wouldn't enjoy a nice trip to Honolulu in either late August or early September to start the season off? Much like several years ago starting the year with UNLV and going to Vegas and made a week long trip out of that experience.

Seems like big ten teams playing games internationally is here to stay. Would you want to see the Gophers play a game overseas? Would you go? This seems like something PJ would be interested in, it’d be another thing to sell to recruits, and it's probably a fun trip for the players.
I'd go to London

While not quite international I think the Gophers should look at a Home and Home with Hawaii to start the year. Who wouldn't enjoy a nice trip to Honolulu in either late August or early September to start the season off? Much like several years ago starting the year with UNLV and going to Vegas and made a week long trip out of that experience.
I enjoyed that game and playing at SC as well.

I don’t see a bunch of people from Mexico City spending their money on gopher merchandise or clamoring for the Big Ten Network.
It makes more sense for the NFL to attempt to expand but not college.

While it wouldn’t be a good fit for gophers (or probably college football in general), Mexico loves American football. Nfl is very popular. Not soccer level popular but a good secondary sport, especially with lots of folks having family in US.

Why would we play one in third world Mexico? It's not a recruiting hotbed or an emerging market
To promote the B1G and increase fanbase. Sure would piss off the SEC if B1G football was as big as wrestling in Mexico....lol

I’ve wished they would do that for years…

To promote the B1G and increase fanbase. Sure would piss off the SEC if B1G football was as big as wrestling in Mexico....lol
Mexican wrestling….. THEMED UNIFORMS….

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

San Juan. U.S dollars, U.S. territory, and easy travel that wouldn’t jet lag the team. Actually, it seems like a decent bowl location now that I think of it.

It's not a recruiting hotbed, but is is an emerging market. It's easier for logistics, in the covid era in particular. It's also an easy sell to Minnesotans to travel to Mexico if you put that game at the cold end of the season. I just don't think we want to lose a late season home game for it.
Mexico City is a cauldron of humanity with 27.1 million people.

Australia, New Zealand, anywhere in Scandinavia, England, Germany, Italy Rome, Toyko Japan, Singapore are good destinations.

This is a fun thread. But just wondering if the OP is based on anything like that the school/team are actually considering this for the future?

Seems like big ten teams playing games internationally is here to stay. Would you want to see the Gophers play a game overseas? Would you go? This seems like something PJ would be interested in, it’d be another thing to sell to recruits, and it's probably a fun trip for the players.
As long as we are the "away" team

Qatar's official colors are maroon, white, and gold. And they've just built something like 12 new football stadiums. They've got this little event coming up called the "World Cup" for soccer, so that'll give them a nice warm-up and get them ready for an elite event like the Gopher's coming to town. I say we do it. Doha, here we come...

View attachment 16500
Be about 115 degrees in Qatar in September, why the World cup was moved to the winter

This is a fun thread. But just wondering if the OP is based on anything like that the school/team are actually considering this for the future?
No idea if it’s being considered. I’m sure it has at least been discussed considering Penn State, Nebraska and Northwestern have done or will be doing it.

I’d personally love to see it happen against a non-conference opponent, and wouldn’t care if it was a home/away game. It’d be no different than neutral site games that many teams play. Notre Dame and Navy regularly play in Ireland. We could probably get in on that annual Ireland game at some point.

Last edited:

Top Bottom