International Gopher Football Game?

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
Seems like big ten teams playing games internationally is here to stay. Would you want to see the Gophers play a game overseas? Would you go? This seems like something PJ would be interested in, it’d be another thing to sell to recruits, and it's probably a fun trip for the players.

Northwestern and Nebraska open 2022 season (week O) in Dublin, I think.

Don't know about going overseas - but I could see a game in Mexico or maybe Canada.

Obviously, as long as Covid is a thing, any kind of international travel is going to be very problematic.

Don't know about going overseas - but I could see a game in Mexico or maybe Canada.

Obviously, as long as Covid is a thing, any kind of international travel is going to be very problematic.
A game in Mexico would be awesome (as an excuse to travel). Not sure if there are great marketing opportunities there though. Maybe???

Monterrey or Mexico City at Azteca would be awesome.

I would only be for it if it doesn't shortchange the Gophers on a home game. Otherwise I guess I would be neutral. Suppose it would be a good way to market the University of Minnesota name/brand.

Thinking early September game in Calgary, Alberta versus Washington. Could be part of a great road trip and renew an old series with Washington. Could do a back to back neutral site maybe in Mexico City the next year

Qatar's official colors are maroon, white, and gold. And they've just built something like 12 new football stadiums. They've got this little event coming up called the "World Cup" for soccer, so that'll give them a nice warm-up and get them ready for an elite event like the Gopher's coming to town. I say we do it. Doha, here we come...

1642203169341.png

Last edited:

No way if it replaces a home game or an away Big Ten game. Not as bad if it replaces an away nonconference game but I still don't see the point. If the goal is to appeal to a non-traditional Big Ten audience why not just do a neutral site game in the southeast or Canada where football is already huge?

No way would I consider Mexico. I have done business there for decades. Crime, cartels, major corruption, etc. are the norm. Really would be a bad choice.

As a fan I don’t see the point. As a player it might be a great experience.
Also, if we have to play a game in another country to get national recognition then we have a longer way to go than we think.

C'mon Thailand!!!!!!!!!!! The over/under of 6 people that know what is American football is a good bet.

Qatar's official colors are maroon, white, and gold. And they've just built something like 12 new football stadiums. They've got this little event coming up called the "World Cup" for soccer, so that'll give them a nice warm-up and get them ready for an elite event like the Gopher's coming to town. I say we do it. Doha, here we come...

View attachment 16500
Great choice except for the alleged death of 6500 South East Asian nationals who died constructing said stadiums. Basically you worked your shift no matter the conditions/ heat.

human rights wise on a par with the Chinese/ North Koreans and that lot

Hardest of passes

Last edited:

November 18th, 2023

Gophers @ tO$U, held at Maracanã stadium Rio De Janeiro :D

Great choice except for the alleged death of 6500 South East Asian nationals who died constructing said stadiums. Basically you worked your shift no matter the conditions/ heat.

human rights wise on a par with the Chinese/ North Koreans and that lot

Hardest of passes
Bad enough but not on level of China or North Korea.

Why would we play one in third world Mexico? It's not a recruiting hotbed or an emerging market

Why would we play one in third world Mexico? It's not a recruiting hotbed or an emerging market
I take it you've never been to Mexico. Would be a great road trip.
Is PSU playing in Ireland for recruiting?

Top Bottom