Interesting: Who are the 5 best coaches in college football?

I agree with you but was suggesting that there's an argument that he could be, largely predicated on his peak seasons and the idea that the Gophers are a Very Difficult Job that some people have. I think it's an average difficulty job.

Most of the top coaches have a bad loss or three in their history, especially the ones who have been program builders and didn't take over an established top 10 program.
He has had one peak season, IMO. I do not consider 2021 and 2022 peak seasons, but thats just me.

He has had one peak season, IMO. I do not consider 2021 and 2022 peak seasons, but thats just me.
I'm counting his NY6 bowl at Western Michigan for sure, and mayyybe those other years by the modern standards of Minnesota.

I'm counting his NY6 bowl at Western Michigan for sure, and mayyybe those other years by the modern standards of Minnesota.
I would agree the WM year counts for sure. Probably more impressive than any of his years at MN. I think 2021 and 2022 are solid, good years, but hardly defining for a top ranked coach. Not a lot of great wins in either of those years. Each had a bad loss or two as well...

All this said, I like Fleck, I think he is a good coach, just not a top 5-10 coach. In my book hes between 20-30. Still in the upper 1/3 of all D1 coaches and the top half of the Power 4 coaches.

It is in response to the “competing for national championships” as only being playing in the title game.
I think my point is 100% valid. Ohio State has the most talent in the B1G, and should be running the table and setting themselves up for a 1 or 2 seed every year. Yes, you're right, Anything can happen in that semifinal game. However, I think Day has assembled rosters and talent at a level that playing for anything less than a chip is a failure. (and I think they'd agree with this)

Top 5-10 coaches don’t lose to BG at home. I like fleck and think he’s good, but in my opinion 5-10 is about 20 spots too high
The best coach of all time lost to Louisiana Monroe and UAB at home if it makes you feel better

I think both would attract a noticably higher level of talent and coaches, with improved results showing up on the field in year two or three.
Sarkisian doesn't have a great track record of success on the field, even with the talent he's had. Maybe he finally figured it out last year with a top 5 finish. Prior to that, his teams never finished better than 20th.

Neither one has ever been a head coach at a program at MN's level or below. Sark has never even been an assistant at a program like MN or worse. It's different with less resources.

And 75% of his titles
You think fleck needs 5-6 national titles and 8-9 big ten titles to atone for losing to bowling green?

You might want to go find a new team for a few years until fleck is gone 😂

And can see it now:

Fleck wins 4 straight national titles and 4 straight big ten titles.
But then follows it up with 6-6

Gopherbadgerman:
“Bowling Green”

You think fleck needs 5-6 national titles and 8-9 big ten titles to atone for losing to bowling green?

You might want to go find a new team for a few years until fleck is gone 😂

And can see it now:

Fleck wins 4 straight national titles and 4 straight big ten titles.
But then follows it up with 6-6

Gopherbadgerman:
“Bowling Green”
Not at all. You brought up the saban compairson and want to argue. That’s fine.

I like fleck, I think he is a good coach. I don’t think he’s a top 5-10 coach in the country. He has too many bad losses and not enough good wins.

Not at all. You brought up the saban compairson and want to argue. That’s fine.

I like fleck, I think he is a good coach. I don’t think he’s a top 5-10 coach in the country. He has too many bad losses and not enough good wins.
I think he has not enough good wins. He has fewer bad losses than the goat

I want to argue? You kept saying things, some of which are already almost true and some of which are ridiculous.

If fleck won two national titles at Minnesota he would be a top 3 current coach in college football. He doesn’t need 75% of Sabans. Even though you have PTSD from bowling green

I tend to agree with you on ranking as is right now. Probably the 25-40 range is where I would have him. I’ve said in other threads anything between 20-60 is a pretty defensible rating.

Top Bottom