Interesting Twitter back and forth between M.Fuller and T.Hines on Minnesota vs ISU

I agree with you. Why would ISU be interested in scheduling Wisconsin's unwanted step child?

Let's be real here. Outside of Minnesota killing the name sake of the ISU football stadium, no one outside of internet sports sociopaths even realize that the Gophers exist.

Good luck with your sanctions, pal! Hopefully ISU will be able to at least get to a Sweet Sixteen before Hoiberg scoots out of town once step ahead of Johnny Law.

Good luck with your sanctions, pal! Hopefully ISU will be able to at least get to a Sweet Sixteen before Hoiberg scoots out of town once step ahead of Johnny Law.

Please elaborate.

Please elaborate.

Tell you what, I'll meet you back at the ISU message board and explain it all to you there, k? If I'm not there within the next year or so, just wait for me.

A nice NCAA resume building road win. Same potential would be true if Minnesota played in Ames.

Yes, so really there is the same thing to be gained by playing both programs. I don't see Iowa State as being above a home & home series with a program like Minnesota. BYU is not known for being a particularly strong hoops program, and they aren't located in a fertile recruiting area, either.

A nice NCAA resume building road win. Same potential would be true if Minnesota played in Ames.

This is why playing Iowa St. is good.

We need to be properly tested and prepared for the Big 10 season. Games like this will help us determine where we stand. Also, it improves our schedule for NCAA tournament purposes as well as improves home attendance. We want to generate buzz and positive media stories. If you play good teams, fill the arena, and win, then you're generating buzz. Winning these games helps with rankings. The higher you're ranked the more likely you are to play on ESPN or CBS on the weekend.

I don't think showcasing for Iowa St. is a major concern.

Benefits of playing ISU?

Beating them gives us a decent win come tourney time, if not a signature win!!!

Win or lose our RPI will be helped by playing ISU.

If we lose to ISU, its either because we really suck and at the end of the season it won't matter either way or if we are good, we can make up for the loss by beating lots of B1G teams. Quality losses in ooc play are not held against a program as much if that program then goes on to win lots of conf games.

ISU fans might travel to see the game, and there are probably a few ISU fans who live in the cities as well and Gopher fans will definitely go to a game like that, so the Barn will fill up, that's a good thing!!!

Gopher fans will be able to travel to the games in Iowa if they want to.

Negatives?

Not sure I can think of any? Hoiberg doesn't seem to need to play us in Minnesota to get the exposure needed to get our recruits, for he seems to be getting plenty as it is. Maybe taking them on head on and beating them will help stop the southward flow of our players?!

The only negative I can think of is the whole rewarding a player who left town with a free trip home thing. But seriously? That would probably happen once in his career? Twice at the most? Hardly worth being petty and vindictive when there are so many positives that we'll miss out on.

I'd say we would be absolutely crazy to pass up on this opportunity. The ooc schedule is BRUTALLY WEAK!!!!!!! I live about 2-3 hours out from the U and am not driving down to watch us play San Antonio School for the Blind and Mute.

And those kinds of games KILL our RPI and SOS rankings. There is no benefit to playing those schools.

Wrong border state. Why don't we play Marquette?

I'd love to play them too. Why not play both? Play one of them on the road and the other at home every year. Maybe Marquette cannot accommodate that in their schedule, but we should try if they can do it. Then we really wouldn't need to do much else with our schedule. Play a team of Louisiville's caliber every year, preferably at home or a home and away series, play the two border teams, play a preseason tournament, and play cupcakes. If you want to add one more good time that's fine by me, but otherwise that schedule looks very good to me.

Marquette and Iowa State have plenty of instate rivalries to fill up their non-conference schedule every year. This is why we don't have an ongoing rivalry with them. I know Doogie tweeted something about Iowa State being open to a match up, but I'm going to take that with a grain of salt until a more connected and trustworthy source corroborates.

Off thread, but interesting nonetheless.

Fuller with a tweet 6 hours ago.
Sorry Dre Hollins but I can see why Yogi Ferrell got picked instead to be the point guard for the World University Games team this summer.

(I'm not familiar with how to post a tweet.) Banham had a retort, something along the lines of "We'll see who ends up on top"

Off thread, but interesting nonetheless. Fuller with a tweet 6 hours ago. Sorry Dre Hollins but I can see why Yogi Ferrell got picked instead to be the point guard for the World University Games team this summer. (I'm not familiar with how to post a tweet.) Banham had a retort, something along the lines of "We'll see who ends up on top"

I'm assuming Yogi was probably guarding Rice as he dropped 29 yesterday?

I'd love to play them too. Why not play both? Play one of them on the road and the other at home every year. Maybe Marquette cannot accommodate that in their schedule, but we should try if they can do it. Then we really wouldn't need to do much else with our schedule. Play a team of Louisiville's caliber every year, preferably at home or a home and away series, play the two border teams, play a preseason tournament, and play cupcakes. If you want to add one more good time that's fine by me, but otherwise that schedule looks very good to me.

I barely recall an early Dutcher team (McHale, Mychal Thompson- prohibition team) beating Al McGuire's NCCA championship team fairly soundly in Milwaukee. I also recall a later Jim Dutcher team pounding a Marquette team lead by Doc Rivers. There was also a good NIT game at Williams Arena against Marquette in the Clem era. I really wish Minnesota would play Marquette again.

I'd also rather play Creighton, DePaul, Drake, No. Iowa, ISU, UW Milwaukee, Butler, Valpo, or some of the Illinois DI programs before giving a platform to the former D2 North Central Conference teams from west of here, or the complete no name programs we bring in from 1200 miles away.

Top Bottom