Interesting STrib article on the future of Williams Arena

I don't understand about Minnesota. There are tons of Fortune 500 corporations there. Actually, Minnesota has more Fortune 500 corporations per capita than any other state. How come the U isn't proactive in getting corporate sponsorship? Is it just bad management in the athletics department? KFC practically built Louisville's new arena. I really don't see how money can be an issue with so much flowing in the Twin Cities.

There's United Health, Target, Best Buy, 3M, SuperValu, US Bank, General Mills, etc., etc. There's plenty of deep pockets to build a practice facility and/or arena eventually.

Maybe I'm crazy but wouldn't tearing down Williams Arena be akin to tearing down Memorial Stadium?

Maybe I'm crazy but wouldn't tearing down Williams Arena be akin to tearing down Memorial Stadium?

+1

Without looking at the emotional aspect of it, just look at the dollars-and-cents aspect of tearing down The Barn. Not long ago, the U spent $280 million to replace what would have cost $20 million in 1981 dollars (inflation-adjusted to 2009, it's $47 million). Even if you put another $100-$150M into the original Brickhouse in a second renovation around 2000, you still don't get close to the real dollar cost of the New Brickhouse.

If the University is having a hard time raising $25 million for a practice facility, and is balking at spending another $20 million on major, needed Williams Arena repairs, just how are they supposed to come up with the $200 million for a brand-spanking new arena?

I hope I'm dead and buried by the time Gopher basketball isn't played at Williams Arena anymore.

Kyle

How many would prefer a refurbished Memorial Stadium and how many would prefer the present TCF Stadium. Just asking.

Kyle

How many would prefer a refurbished Memorial Stadium and how many would prefer the present TCF Stadium. Just asking.

How many would have liked to skip the "Dome-era"?

Williams arena is an outstanding place. They just need to do one thing to make game day 100% better and it would come at a very low cost.
Turn the house lights off when the game starts.
When you go to the movies do they leave the lights on?

Bring the entire focus of everyone onto the court where it belongs. We don't need to see the peanut vendor.

This is a very simple fix and I think everyone would be suprised what a huge difference it would make.

Not really. If Williams was replaced the Gophers wouldn't go and play 20 seasons in Target Center. TCF Bank Stadium is superior in pretty much every way to Memorial Stadium.

One of the original sales pitches for moving the football team was that the Metrodome would attract top recruits due to its state of the art NFL caliber facilities.

For the record, I loved Memorial Stadium and all that it offered. The tradition and history, the beautiful alternation of dark and light green grass every 5 yards, and the golden voice of Julius Pearlt. Also, it provided me a venue for some of the best 2:00am sex I ever had with a few of my acquaintances on the 50 yard line right between the M's. ;)

For the record, I loved Memorial Stadium and all that it offered. The tradition and history, the beautiful alternation of dark and light green grass every 5 yards, and the golden voice of Julius Pearlt. Also, it provided me a venue for some of the best 2:00am sex I ever had with a few of my acquaintances on the 50 yard line right between the M's. ;)

At the same time?

Please don't tell me is was with the football team.:D

Top Bottom