Interesting set of Doogie tweets suggest Kaler prefers renovating The Barn

GoAUpher

Section 246
Reaction score
From the Twitter:
Just had a nice chat w/ @PrezKaler. Full interview will air Sat. on @1500ESPN at 4:20ish. Nuggets: Expect Teague to bring in a few people.

(con.) Kaler is leaning toward a modern renovation of 'The Barn' vs. idea of a new arena. Practice facility would be The Pavilion. #gophers

(con.) 1 more nugget w/o giving away the whole chat: Kaler expects a Tubby ext. soon. Didn't deny the buyout is the sticking point. #gophers

About 2-3 weeks ago President Kaler appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid and Dave, and at that time he talked about remodeling Williams Arena and converting the Sports Pavilion into a basketball practice facility. He emphasized that it was just something he was thinking about.

To me it makes a lot of sense to keep basketball in the one facility. But does that mean the U would build another arena? Or attempt to shoehorn wrestling, 2 gymnastics teams, and volleyball into existing facilities? I think they would need a new arena.

Of course, at this point no one even knows how much it might cost to renovate Williams properly.

To me it makes a lot of sense to keep basketball in the one facility. But does that mean the U would build another arena? Or attempt to shoehorn wrestling, 2 gymnastics teams, and volleyball into existing facilities? I think they would need a new arena.

They would need a new arena. But doing it this way might allow them more flexibility with how to remodel Williams, saving a little money long term while saving the iconic home of the Gophers. Devil, as always, would be in the details.

Didn't someone say they are already planning on rebuilding the field house?

per Shama:

Kaler also said “his own personal prejudice” is to renovate Williams Arena when the time is right rather than replace the 84-year-old building. “It’s such an iconic building. That building holds so many memories for so many people I would really like that we wouldn’t tear it down. …We don’t have anything immediately going on with it. It will be one of the many things that Norwood will have to dig into when he arrives.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Didn't someone say they are already planning on rebuilding the field house?

He said that the plan is to tear down the fieldhouse and use the space for a new arena for gymnastics and wrestling etc..

How about tear down the fieldhouse and build practice facility there. I don't like the idea of coverting the Pavillion to a practice facility. Somone please convince me I am wrong!

Top Bottom