Interesting Read - Top 10 Trophies

Ranking the Gophers' trophies:

1. Jug (oldest one, and best story)
2. Floyd of Rosedale (also great story, and who doesn't think 'Pig' when they think 'Iowa'?!?)
3. Paul Bunyan's Axe (sweet looking trophy, too bad it is a replacement)
4. Governor's Victory Bell (the only reason the Penn St. game means anything to any Gopher fan)

Ranking the Gophers' trophy games:

1. wisconsin (hopefully next year we will wait until their band is finished with their alma mater before we cut down their goal posts)
2. Iowa (We are Iowa's top rival, too bad we haven't lived up to it recently)
3. Michigan (Now that we left the dome, we might be able to beat these guys at home. them having DickRod also helps our cause)
4. Penn St. (I'd rather play Nebraska every year)

Says you. Most Hawk fans I know would disagree.

The problem with Iowa and "biggest" rival is geography.

For folks like me, in the far east of the state, it is the despised Illini.

For folks in the northeast, around Dubuque, it is the Badgers.

For others along the northern tier of counties, it is the Gophers.

For those in the Des Moines/Central Iowa area, it is the Cyclones - because they have to listen to insistent yipping from little brother.

Frankly, for me personally, Minnesota isn't really even on the radar as far as a big rivalry game. Although it is fun seeing Iowa players carry Floyd around most of the time.

Iowa doesn't have one, single unifying rival that everyone hates on an equal basis.

True of Gophers fans, too

The problem with Iowa and "biggest" rival is geography.

For folks like me, in the far east of the state, it is the despised Illini.

For folks in the northeast, around Dubuque, it is the Badgers.

For others along the northern tier of counties, it is the Gophers.

For those in the Des Moines/Central Iowa area, it is the Cyclones - because they have to listen to insistent yipping from little brother.

Frankly, for me personally, Minnesota isn't really even on the radar as far as a big rivalry game. Although it is fun seeing Iowa players carry Floyd around most of the time.

Iowa doesn't have one, single unifying rival that everyone hates on an equal basis.

As a Gopher fan, I would have to put the Badgers at the top of the rivalry list. And I would much rather have the Jug than the Pig. I'm sure other Gopher fans would disagree.

As a Gopher fan, I would have to put the Badgers at the top of the rivalry list. And I would much rather have the Jug than the Pig. I'm sure other Gopher fans would disagree.

Beating Wisconsin and winning The Axe is above all else.

Top Bottom