Interesting article in Daily about athletics finances

Kind of relates to the atmosphere in The Barn. An audience in the 10-14K range 20X per season can garner big bucks for advertising and the athletic department has to beat the bushes for $$$$.

Kind of relates to the atmosphere in The Barn. An audience in the 10-14K range 20X per season can garner big bucks for advertising and the athletic department has to beat the bushes for $$$$.

And that's why we get fed the steady diet of hyphenateds. Easy money. It's still disrespectful to the customers who do pony up every year.

Very interesting. I am thinking the Athletics Department would be in a littel better financial shape if they didn't give TCF Bank such a great deal for the naming right to the stadium. I think most here would agree that TCF got a hellava deal on that one.

I'm of the opinion that public funds should never be used for athletics and if a school's athletic programs can't be self-sufficient and profitable (to the point where they contribute back to the academic side of the University) those programs need to re-evaluate their place and roles. The UKAA pays for it's scholarships back into the General Scholarship Fund. The UKAA uses its profits to build libraries and fund non-athletic scholarship endowments. This is how things are supposed to work and not robbing Peter to pay for Paul playing football. We also shouldn't put any sort of fees on students with bogus "activities fees" that are little more than a tax for the athletic programs.

I'm of the opinion that public funds should never be used for athletics and if a school's athletic programs can't be self-sufficient and profitable (to the point where they contribute back to the academic side of the University) those programs need to re-evaluate their place and roles. The UKAA pays for it's scholarships back into the General Scholarship Fund. The UKAA uses its profits to build libraries and fund non-athletic scholarship endowments. This is how things are supposed to work and not robbing Peter to pay for Paul playing football. We also shouldn't put any sort of fees on students with bogus "activities fees" that are little more than a tax for the athletic programs.

Do you think each athletic program (sport) needs to be self-sufficient? Paul playing football, basketball and hockey allows for Peter and Mary to play their sports at Minnesota. At most Universities Football and men's Basketball are they only two sports that make any money. All other sports rely on these two sports to operate.

An interesting fact that I just learned yesterday is that while the University of Texas produces the most athletics revenue in the country, they have only 18 varsity men's and women's sports teams. The U with their middle of the pack (or lower) athletics revenue streams has 25 varsity teams. I think it is time for the U to reevaluate that approach to athletics. They don't need to be all things to all people. Club teams can satisfy almost everyone's desire for athletic opportunity and competition at the U. The primary mission of college is education - not sports.

Do you think each athletic program (sport) needs to be self-sufficient? Paul playing football, basketball and hockey allows for Peter and Mary to play their sports at Minnesota. At most Universities Football and men's Basketball are they only two sports that make any money. All other sports rely on these two sports to operate.

No, I'm talking about the Athletic Program overall. Football and Basketball pay for the Women's sports, the Olympic sports, etc at UK too. But the UKAA still makes a profit which they pay back into the University to help with the Academic mission. I don't know how the scholarships are funded at Minnesota but at Kentucky they're paid by the UKAA into the General Scholarship Fund. No money is taken away from the University itself to pay the tuition, room and board, etc for athletes.

I've long said there are too many programs in D-1 basketball. We're seeing Centenary and UNO this season start the process to move down to D-III but there are schools waiting to take their place. Everybody wants the meal ticket (the NCAA tournament, the media dollars) but they can't drown in debt to do so. Other bigger schools struggle with the debt issues as well.

“I think you need to know who you are,” Maturi said. “And we at Minnesota are always going to be mid-Big Ten level, because that’s where our revenues are.”

That's a little disturbing. I think it can work the other way. If your football and basketball teams are good, I believe that would encourage more people to donate money, in addition to attending games. There's a very real pride thing that goes with winning, and Maturi doesn't seem to recognize. that.

“I think you need to know who you are,” Maturi said. “And we at Minnesota are always going to be mid-Big Ten level, because that’s where our revenues are.”

That's a little disturbing. I think it can work the other way. If your football and basketball teams are good, I believe that would encourage more people to donate money, in addition to attending games. There's a very real pride thing that goes with winning, and Maturi doesn't seem to recognize. that.

I agree with you HM but I think that the comment might be in reference to vast size difference between TCF and the 'Shoe, the Big House, and Happy Valley. Unless you have a crazy dedicated fans base and a team that wins all the time there is no possible way you can make as much in 50000 seat stadium than a 100000 seat stadium.

Top Bottom