Interested to see what Dorrell can do once he gets established

swingman

Reaction score
Hired in late-Feb of 2020 after Tucker and friends took the Sparty job, he had no chance to recruit that year.

And, then Covid hit, so really disrupted last year's practice time. PAC-12 was even later than Big Ten in re-start.

Really just instilling his culture and launching his recruiting since Spring ball a few months back.

Went with his guy for new DC this year, brought in a new S&C guy this year, returning all-conference QB leaves after his guy wins job, and then his QB gets injured late in August. His top WR gets suspended. Other top WR heads to USC. His top defensive player misses Spring ball with injury. Lot of disruptions in year zero.

Buff will have 10 of top 24 starting spots filled by transfers, frosh or true sophs.

41-10 type of win by Gophers will not surprise...think we see a run like 2019 when after slow start vs lower level schools, Gophs successively went into Purdue and were up 38-17 after three quarters before coasting to win, beat IL 40-17, beat NE 34-7, beat RU 42-7, beat MD 52-10, and beat PSU.

That would obviously be great.

But then, what happened to Texas A&M??

Teams have played two games in this new season. The fact of the matter is: we don't know how good Texas A&M is. How much did we actually learn when about Texas A&M when they beat beat Kent State 41-10 in Week One?

Teams have played two games in this new season. The fact of the matter is: we don't know how good Texas A&M is. How much did we actually learn when about Texas A&M when they beat beat Kent State 41-10 in Week One?
Comparative wins and losses are irrelevant. Its about how the two teams playing match up.

Comparative wins and losses are irrelevant. Its about how the two teams playing match up.

Texas A&M could finish in the Top Ten, or out of the rankings completely. It's too soon to tell who is great, who is good, and who is bad.

With a few notable exceptions, of course. Alabama is almost certainly great, once again.

Last edited:

Texas A&M could finish in the Top Ten, or out of the rankings completely. It's too soon to tell who is great, who is good, and who is bad.

With a few notable exceptions, of course. Alabama is almost certainly great, once again.
Your point is of course valid.

It just seems far-fetched to me, to have the scenario where:
- A&M beats Colorado only 10-7 (possibly indicating A&M isn't that good)
- Minnesota beats Colorado 41-10 (indicating Colorado isn't that good)
- A&M finishes in the top 10

My gut says that, for whatever reason -- perhaps because it was at altitude, but that's where we're going to be too -- this Colorado game is going to be very tough.

My gut says that, for whatever reason -- perhaps because it was at altitude, but that's where we're going to be too -- this Colorado game is going to be very tough.
I have a bad feeling about this game. Maybe we won't be talking about losing Fleck to USC or somewhere else after it. If I were betting it, I would NOT take the Gophers. The special teams have gotten better but both the offense and defense have taken a step backward. Be careful, Gopher fans!!

I have a bad feeling about this game. Maybe we won't be talking about losing Fleck to USC or somewhere else after it. If I were betting it, I would NOT take the Gophers. The special teams have gotten better but both the offense and defense have taken a step backward. Be careful, Gopher fans!!
not worried about offense, defense will need to step it up

Colorado can't throw, but they have a running QB and we've struggled with those

not worried about offense, defense will need to step it up

Colorado can't throw, but they have a running QB and we've struggled with those
A win would sure be nice. This will be a very good test for us - I would like to schedule one of these type of non conference games each year even if it might not end up the way we want. Games like this prepare the team for the Big Ten in a big way (typically we don't open the season with Ohio St!!!)

That would obviously be great.

But then, what happened to Texas A&M??

For one, they lost their starting QB early in the game. A&M smothered the Buffs offense they just struggled to move it until the 4th quarter. A&M also only led Kent State 10-3 at the half of their first game, so the canaries are looking a little queasy on the Aggies so far.

I'm watching our linebackers. We don't have anyone to make plays on the edge and that just guts us defensively. I'm looking for a lot of points today - something like 41-35 gophers

For one, they lost their starting QB early in the game. A&M smothered the Buffs offense they just struggled to move it until the 4th quarter. A&M also only led Kent State 10-3 at the half of their first game, so the canaries are looking a little queasy on the Aggies so far.
Thanks, that makes sense. So perhaps A&M just isn't that good this year. We will see.

I'm watching our linebackers. We don't have anyone to make plays on the edge and that just guts us defensively. I'm looking for a lot of points today - something like 41-35 gophers
You were saying.

How's your gut feeling now?

I guess we'll see, and someone said they lost their QB for the game. Altitude also a factor.

A&M has looked good in their two games at home vs G5 opponents. Maybe they're overrated, or maybe it was just a weird, tough situation for them in Denver.

I guess we'll see, and someone said they lost their QB for the game. Altitude also a factor.

A&M has looked good in their two games at home vs G5 opponents. Maybe they're overrated, or maybe it was just a weird, tough situation for them in Denver.
Boulder.

Top Bottom