Intensity in Puerto Rico

Rouser

Reaction score
After watching the bulk of this team's home games in person since 1998, I can safely say that last night's game brought an intensity rarely seen by the Gophs. It was obvious from the start that the team AND coaches wanted this badly.

Tubby was yelling at the refs the whole game and his intensity was at NCAA tourney levels. The players were focused and the crowd was great. For each game of the tournament, they assign a local high school or college band for each team. They learn the fight songs, etc. Our band was awesome, the kids made up Minnesota signs and cheered loud for their adopted teams. They really got a kick out of the crowds finish to the Rouser. Very festive indeed. I guess it doesn't hurt that you can get a Pina Colada at the game either. :)

Back to the game... The players were so focused and ready to play. Nerves did not get the best of them. Regardless of what happens Sunday night, you get the feeling that this team has the potential to be special. Getting Devoe back will be huge as he is the likely back up at the point. Al got a foul in the first minute, but luckily kept out of trouble after that. If he would have gotten into fouled trouble we would have been in big trouble.

Go gophers and lets seal the deal and win the tournament!

After watching the bulk of this team's home games in person since 1998, I can safely say that last night's game brought an intensity rarely seen by the Gophs. It was obvious from the start that the team AND coaches wanted this badly.

Tubby was yelling at the refs the whole game and his intensity was at NCAA tourney levels. The players were focused and the crowd was great. For each game of the tournament, they assign a local high school or college band for each team. They learn the fight songs, etc. Our band was awesome, the kids made up Minnesota signs and cheered loud for their adopted teams. They really got a kick out of the crowds finish to the Rouser. Very festive indeed. I guess it doesn't hurt that you can get a Pina Colada at the game either. :)

Back to the game... The players were so focused and ready to play. Nerves did not get the best of them. Regardless of what happens Sunday night, you get the feeling that this team has the potential to be special. Getting Devoe back will be huge as he is the likely back up at the point. Al got a foul in the first minute, but luckily kept out of trouble after that. If he would have gotten into fouled trouble we would have been in big trouble.

Go gophers and lets seal the deal and win the tournament!

Nice recap, thanks. As far as the intensity of the team, I had the same impression watching the game. I thought their energy level and extra effort was remarkably consistent all night long. They didn't just turn it up or down in spurts.

Thanks, Rouser...enjoy your visit and have a Pina Colada for me!

Rouser, I was looking forward to a review by you. Thanks for the update. How was the venue? Does it feel like you are in an arena or a TV studio? Those preseason tournaments give you great vantage points compared to most games, but can seem almost ghostly with so few people in them relative to the number of seats?

Holy Man, the venue is a typical large NBA/concert venue. They only have the lower bowl open and have large curtains to close off the upper sections. The crowds are generally light with fans from the respective teams and a few locals attending the respective games. That said, the UNC/Gopher game had a pretty large crowd. Local bands sit behind the baskets so fans get good seats. We have been sitting about 5 rows behind the gopher bench without problem as it's general admission and fans rarely stay for multiple games (we are in puerto Rico).

Outside of UNC I'd say we have just as many fans as anybody. It's a fun time, obviously the destination has a large part in that assessment. All in all, I recommend traveling to a tournament like this if provided the opportunity.

I watched on TV like everyone else, but the intensity on the floor was palpable. The guys were playing their tails off; it was like a tourney game. I was just surprised at our physicality and how we kept knocking the Tar Heels around...chalk a TON of it up to Mbakwe, he brings a whole new level of aggressiveness that our school hasn't seen in a number of years, maybe more.

People had been hyping him up pretty well, so my expectations of him this year were pretty high; I can't believe that he's exceeded them already. He is SO fun to watch.

Holy Man, the venue is a typical large NBA/concert venue. They only have the lower bowl open and have large curtains to close off the upper sections. The crowds are generally light with fans from the respective teams and a few locals attending the respective games. That said, the UNC/Gopher game had a pretty large crowd. Local bands sit behind the baskets so fans get good seats. We have been sitting about 5 rows behind the gopher bench without problem as it's general admission and fans rarely stay for multiple games (we are in puerto Rico).

Outside of UNC I'd say we have just as many fans as anybody. It's a fun time, obviously the destination has a large part in that assessment. All in all, I recommend traveling to a tournament like this if provided the opportunity.

Pretty much describes how it was in LA last year. The Gophers had the biggest crowd except for UCLA. It is a blast to sit that close to the team. Have a good time this weekend, Rouser.

Top Bottom