Insight determines Brew's future?

Reaction score
Just watched an ESPN segment about Brew. It was suggested that Brew is similarly situated to Mason when he was fired. Bottomline of the segment was that Brew's future rides on the outcome of this bowl game. If they win, he probably gets a contract extension. If they lose, he may be fired after the game (like Mason was). Thoughts?

It's a very different situation. Masons program had stagnated, it actually looked to be regressing. Brewsters appears to be improving.

Same results and negative media thus the comparison, different trend line.

I have said all along that if the outcome of the Insight Bowl is not a factor in whether or not to extend Brewster, then Maturi would have done it by now.

If Maturi was going to extend him either way, then (from a pure negotiating position), Brewster can increase his leverage with a W, but a L wouldn't really change things because Maturi is likely to offer him another year at his current pay (or maybe just a slight cost of living bump) and with a buy-out clause that favors the U.

If I were Brewster, I would be asking for the negotiations to be parked until after the bowl (unless the status really is hurting recruiting - but I think that's been overstated).

I'm not saying its right, but I think the outcome of the Insight Bowl will be more of a factor than most on this board have concluded it will be.

We might read more into the timing then we should. Maturi does the coach thing after the season. A terrible aproach for fall sports, but none the less its what he does.

This is too easy a "story" for ESPN, it's stupid.
A)Make light that the last Gopher coach was fired after the Insight Bowl(casual national fans won't know this), B)explain that Brewster is under some pressure(he is, but not to the point everyone thinks), make connection between A and B, national audience says "Huh, that's interesting."

If there is anything AT ALL to this, Maturi needs to go, he cannot seriously make the same mistake twice and wait until AFTER the bowl game to get a new coach.

it was also robert smith doing the talking, im sure he spent a lot of time looking at the situation. He said Mason was fired when his team was playing really good football, surely he cant think blowing that 2nd half lead against TT was good football?

The only way that a bowl game loss will EVER determine Brewster's future as Gopher's coach is if he acts like the loss doesn't matter to him when the University President and AD talk to him after the game. We all know that there is ZERO chance that Brewster will ever act like Mason did after the Texas Tech game.

The only way that a bowl game loss will EVER determine Brewster's future as Gopher's coach is if he act's like the loss doesn't matter to him when the University President and AD talk to him after the game.

Personally, I think this is one the reasons Mason got fired. It wasn't simply because his teams constantly blew games, but rather because after blowing said games, his entire attitude was "so what?" He just didn't care. As long as the team made a minor bowl by beating a bunch of cupcakes during the regular season, he was happy as a clam and readily patted himself on the back for a job well done.

The only way that a bowl game loss will EVER determine Brewster's future as Gopher's coach is if he acts like the loss doesn't matter to him when the University President and AD talk to him after the game. We all know that there is ZERO chance that Brewster will ever act like Mason did after the Texas Tech game.

I don't remember hearing this. What happened?

The only similarities are the record and the bowl. Other than that, literally everything is different. Not great reporting.

he's not gonna be fired end of story...hes not had enough time and bad timing when you have recruits riding on him. no way

I don't care if we lose 44-0, you don't fire Brewster after the Bowl game.

Give him another year.........but it would be a big mistake to fire him right now unless you had an absolute top of the line home run hire ready to take his place. I don't think that's going to happen and I don't trust Maturi to make a great hire even with a search committee doing the legwork.

That's one of the gripes I have with Maturi. He has openly stated more than once that he evaluates the football coach after the bowl games. That is about the most idiotic thing I have heard of. If the review goes poorly and he fires Brewster, what coach wants to come in less than a month before signing day? And how many recruits will move on if they still have other options? Isn't this the 8 ball he stuck Brewster behind affectively wasting a year?

All of the major coaching changes already happened this year, between the end of the season and the bowl game. Maturi should do the evaluation after the regular season ends.

That's one of the gripes I have with Maturi. He has openly stated more than once that he evaluates the football coach after the bowl games. That is about the most idiotic thing I have heard of. If the review goes poorly and he fires Brewster, what coach wants to come in less than a month before signing day? And how many recruits will move on if they still have other options? Isn't this the 8 ball he stuck Brewster behind affectively wasting a year?

All of the major coaching changes already happened this year, between the end of the season and the bowl game. Maturi should do the evaluation after the regular season ends.

I agree for all fall sports. i understand maturi's desire to make the best decision and wanting to have as much info as possible and time to make that choice, but it just doesn't work for the recruiting year. The kids are making their choices now, and they need the most complete information to make their choices. Who the coach is going to be, and stability is a big factor.

If Maturi has thought long and hard about Gopher football and concluded that Brewster's tenure hangs on a bowl game with Iowa State....then I agree that somebody's future should be in doubt.

If Maturi has thought long and hard about Gopher football and concluded that Brewster's tenure hangs on a bowl game with Iowa State....then I agree that somebody's future should be in doubt.

Exactly. Maturi seems engages in a process geared toward making life easier for now while forestalling important decisions. If that's the case, then trouble is on the horizon for our AD because that kind of thinking seldom yields a positive outcome.

Top Bottom