Insight Bowl Tickets Nearly Gone!

gopherluv

Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/12/24/20081224tr-insight1226.html

Tickets for the Dec. 31 Insight Bowl at Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium are almost gone, and organizers say this year's sales have far exceeded record ticket sales for the event.

Fiesta Bowl/Insight Bowl organization spokesman Shawn Schoeffler said more than 55,000 tickets have been sold for the contest between the Kansas Jayhawks and Minnesota Golden Gophers. The previous record, set in 2006, was 48,391. Each school bought 10,500 tickets, Schoeffler said.

Sun Devil Stadium Capacity

Sun Devil Stadium seats 73K. According to the article 55K have been sold. That would obviously mean 18K are still available. Is the article trying to say both schools have sold their allotment of 10,500 or does it mean the people in the Tempe area have bought most of the 55K? I would be curious to know how many tickets each school has actually sold at this point. How many plane-loads has creative charter sold at this point?

4 of us are leaving Saturday and we bought our seats from the University office. We bought our tickets 2 weeks ago and at that point about 2000 seats had been sold out of the 10,500 from the University allotment.

2 years ago there must have been 10-15,000 Gopher fans at the Insight Bowl but most of them were from the Tempe area so the sales weren't credited to Minnesota as far as traveling was concerned. I would hope there would be 60-65,000 fans at the game and it will be interesting to see the mix from Kansas and Minnesota.

Sun Devil Stadium seats 73K. According to the article 55K have been sold. That would obviously mean 18K are still available. Is the article trying to say both schools have sold their allotment of 10,500 or does it mean the people in the Tempe area have bought most of the 55K? I would be curious to know how many tickets each school has actually sold at this point. How many plane-loads has creative charter sold at this point?

4 of us are leaving Saturday and we bought our seats from the University office. We bought our tickets 2 weeks ago and at that point about 2000 seats had been sold out of the 10,500 from the University allotment.

2 years ago there must have been 10-15,000 Gopher fans at the Insight Bowl but most of them were from the Tempe area so the sales weren't credited to Minnesota as far as traveling was concerned. I would hope there would be 60-65,000 fans at the game and it will be interesting to see the mix from Kansas and Minnesota.

They cover the seats in part of the upper deck.

They cover the seats in part of the upper deck.

Correct. Here is a pic I took before the game two years ago showing the tarp over the upper deck in the end zone:

ph2492441630094942381.jpg

Creative Charter has 4 tickets left for the "Gold Tour" ....departs at 5:30 today ( Maroon Tour sold out) I'm surprised at this because it ain't cheap to go this route. ( As of Monday according to the ticket office a tad over 4,000 had been sold through the University

As of Monday according to the ticket office a tad over 4,000 had been sold through the University

Why doesn't the U do a better job telling people to buy tickets through the ticket office?? They are talking 55,000 tickets sold and only 4,000 told through the University. I know everyone isn't a Gopher fan. Lets say 1/3 of the people there are Gopher fans. Thanks over 18,000 people. 18000-4000= 14000. Where did these 14000 get their tickets instead of through the ticket office? I really want bowl committees to think that we travel well and 18000 would look much better than 4000. It sounds like the same thing happened in 2006 as well, is that correct?

I think there's something else at work here, too. Remember, the Insight Bowl is run by the Fiesta Bowl. So, there are literally thousands of tickets that are going to corporate sponsors of the Fiesta Bowl. Those corporate sponsors get "throw-in" tickets for the Insight Bowl. I'm guessing there will be some prime seats that are left empty because the corporate suits didn't use them.

Any way you look at it ... breaking a bowl game attendance record in two consecutive appearances would disprove the theory that Gopher fans don't travel well.

Consider that bowl attendance is supposedly down overall as the number has reached 34 and the contests have become television-focused events, and this is even more impressive.

I live in Arizona, Scottsdale to be exact, there are tons of transplanted Minnesotans down here, when they buy tickets it's not necessarily thru the U's ticket office. Did you catch any of the recent Vikings/Cardinals game a couple of weeks ago? It almost seemed like the Vikes were the home team.

Nice picture - no seat backs in Sun Devil Stadium I notice.

I will likely have season tickets outside the seat back zone - guess that is the norm in college stadiums but I wish the benches at least had backs even if there are no arm rests.

( As of Monday according to the ticket office a tad over 4,000 had been sold through the University

Translation...the ticket office rounded way up and included the tickets that go to the team/staff/administration.

Snowbirds, alumns, et al.

I don't know if the Alumni Association sent out notices, ticket offers, and brouchures. If they didn't shame on them. The market is ripe with Minnesotans either retired there or vacationing there. And take into account the Bowl committe looking for those already there. When the teams arrive more interest and news coverage and ticket sales. These sales will continue with walkup sales as well. This is a sucess, a building block. It would be nice if Southwest was at MPLS. Now and in the future. It would also be nice when Radison gets a clue. Hello, Carlson School?

Why doesn't the U do a better job telling people to buy tickets through the ticket office?? They are talking 55,000 tickets sold and only 4,000 told through the University. I know everyone isn't a Gopher fan. Lets say 1/3 of the people there are Gopher fans. Thanks over 18,000 people. 18000-4000= 14000. Where did these 14000 get their tickets instead of through the ticket office? I really want bowl committees to think that we travel well and 18000 would look much better than 4000. It sounds like the same thing happened in 2006 as well, is that correct?

------

I can tell you from my experience, the Gopher ticket office told me that my best bet was to go directly through the Insight ticket office. My dad went to KU and is in his 70s. He wanted to go, but to make it comfortable for him, wanted tickets in the lodge or club level. I don't have season tickets since I moved to Texas 4 years ago. I was told that: 1) I have no points so there was a good chance that I couldn't get the tickets I wanted -- O.K. I get that 2) The 14 years of non-student season tickets I held were of no value since I'm not a current football season ticket holder (there were three years of Hockey Season tix in there two, but for most years, I split tickets not in my name) -- this burns a little given that I'm a 17 hour drive from the Cities these days. 3) The fact that I am a lifetime member of the Alumni association didn't count for diddly squat -- this pisses me off a bit. 4) the annual donations I make to the U (one for academics, one for the athletic department don't count for anything because I'm not a current season ticket holder for football -- :eek: Nice way to keep the donors (o.k. it's not more than a few hundred dollars each year, but still) happy.

I get that this is a new era in Gopher sports, but we now have big time program policies, with a small time operation of the ticket office and have yet to deliver on the field to match the policies of the ticket department. All in all, when the ticket office is sending you elsewhere (and I explained I'd rather buy tickets through the U to make sure we get credit) that is a problem.

I don't think I should get special treatment because I don't have season tickets, but I'm doing a lot in support of the school and programs (typically travel to one away game every season, tickets purchased through the U) and get the same treatment if I'd done absolutely nothing. Seems to me I'd get some preference over joe schmo who is buying tickets from the U for the first time, but as it was explained to me, that was not the case.

Given past issues with the ticket department, I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that everything I was told was false, but it was what I was told. I got the seats I wanted and will be at the game, although it sounds like we'll be on the KU side of the stadium, but I'll be in gold.

I don't know if the Alumni Association sent out notices, ticket offers, and brouchures. If they didn't shame on them. The market is ripe with Minnesotans either retired there or vacationing there. And take into account the Bowl committe looking for those already there. When the teams arrive more interest and news coverage and ticket sales. These sales will continue with walkup sales as well. This is a sucess, a building block. It would be nice if Southwest was at MPLS. Now and in the future. It would also be nice when Radison gets a clue. Hello, Carlson School?

Where is the support from the local media. We have five local news channels that ignore Gopher football.

Went to the Insight Bowl in '06. Bought tickets for $10 a piece. THAT is why people don't buy from the Gopher Ticket office.

TCCSA & PSCSA

Where is the support from the local media. We have five local news channels that ignore Gopher football.

Why would the local media, which is beholden to the Twin Cities Corporate Sports Authority (TCCSA), provide any publicity for an entity which competes directly against the TCCSA (University of Minnesota Football, Basketball, and Hockey)?

You think we have it bad? Look at what has happened to the Washington Huskies Football program. A once very proud PAC-10 program is now groveling in the mud at the expense of the Puget Sound Corporate Sports Authority (PSCSA). The NFL / Seahawks are laughing in their beer all the way to the bank.

I have lived in Phoenix for 12 years and went to the game two years ago and bought tickets from the Insight bowl ticket office in Scottsdale. Not this year, my wife and I are planning to just show up at the game and purchase from a scalper or the ticket office. I am not too worried with 18k tickets still left and many of those being in the upper level. GO GOPHERS!!! Don't forget to take the light rail if you are in downtown Phoenix as traffic will be nuts getting into Tempe for the block party. If you plan to stay until midnight, catch the light rail right after midnight as it closes before 2 am.

That photo posted reminded me how much I miss the colors of the old uniforms. Both the maroon and gold in the previous uniforms were better in my opinion. Maybe I'm in the minority on this. Seems like the old ones were closer to USC, and the new ones are closer to Arizona State's colors.

Why would the local media, which is beholden to the Twin Cities Corporate Sports Authority (TCCSA), provide any publicity for an entity which competes directly against the TCCSA (University of Minnesota Football, Basketball, and Hockey)?

HUH
sm-nachdenk.gif

I think the theory is that people think they can get better seats going directly through Insight than the Goph ticket office for the same price. I'm guessing the allotment that the schools get are more of the "cheaper" seats, while the Insight office holds on to the majority of the better seats. If someone could get a better seat for the same/cheaper price, most would.

I know when I've bought away game tickets from the U ticket office, we get put in the U allotment which usually aren't the best seats. While I like sitting next to fellow gopher fans, I know I could have bought the tickets directly from the away school (or a third party) for the same price and gotten way better seats.

Another thing to take into account is the fact that we know that this game won't sell out. Therefore, people have the option to wait til the last minute for better deals.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2008/12/24/20081224tr-insight1226.html

Tickets for the Dec. 31 Insight Bowl at Arizona State University's Sun Devil Stadium are almost gone, and organizers say this year's sales have far exceeded record ticket sales for the event.

Fiesta Bowl/Insight Bowl organization spokesman Shawn Schoeffler said more than 55,000 tickets have been sold for the contest between the Kansas Jayhawks and Minnesota Golden Gophers. The previous record, set in 2006, was 48,391. Each school bought 10,500 tickets, Schoeffler said.

I'm not sure when 25% left = nearly gone, but whatever. There is a big problem with the U ticket sales structure when they direct you elsewhere to purchase tickets. Is any priority given to former bowl game attenders? (I attended the '05 Music City Bowl)

I'll be heading to future bowls, though this one is not one of them.

6Nov1999

Get this, radio cut ins on the home of the Gophers, WCCO. Eric Nelson is hyping ticket sales for the Vikes playoff game along with his sports commentary. And other radio stations are having ticket give aways if you know who kicked the winning field goal for the Vikes. The media is in the NFL tank. Its is so blatant, its a matter of course. Those who do not see the bias, or deny it exists are blind to this all to cozy arrangement between the papers, radio and TV reporters. The NFL perks, the meals, the seemingly pre written stories, and no criticism of a pro team while heaping snide shots at the Gophers. I would go so far as to suggest the NFL may offer some payment for the coverage. Either to the reporters or their employers or both. The old addage, perception is reality is applicable here.

Lets see the Gopher Basketball Team is undefeated, ranked 21st, Coached by Tubby Smith and recieves token coverage at best. The coverage, another collapse by the Wolves. Where is the outrage, where is the drum beat, where is the pressure on Glen Taylor?

Top Bottom