Injury status on Tommy Olson?

Golden Elephant

Maroon & Gold Maven
Reaction score
I apologize if I missed the thread, but I went back a few pages and did a search and came up with nothing. Does anyone have injury status on the Tank?

I thought I heard on the radio postgame that he had a twisted ankle and they tried putting him back in for a play, but he couldn't go. So that it makes it not sound too serious, but does anyone have any further update?

Much kudos and props to Caleb Bak in filling in. I wasn't watching him really closely, but generally the O-line allowing no sacks and doing pretty good rushing means he must've done decently (at least) filling in. I check the roster pretty often, but here's a guy who I literally had never heard of, and he goes in and does OK.

I thought it was curious no one was talking about Bak. I admit I didn't notice him in the game until afterwards when I read a couple tweets about him going in for Tommy. I suppose that's a good thing considering our line didn't give up a sack and I don't remember any holding or false start penalties from our line. Pretty spectacular further that he wasn't even here in the Spring. Kills take on Bak:

"He didn't even practice this spring. I told him he's screwed more drills up, driving me crazy -- he had all the reason in the world to say, 'I'm tired of this old man.' But he's hung in there ... and he did a heck of a job," Kill said. "[Offensive coordinator Matt] Limegrover, he said, 'Put Bak in. He knows what to do, I believe in him.' ... He played pretty hard. Give the kid credit."

To your question though about Tommy, i saw him on the field after the game (and standing next to him.. HE IS A MONSTER) he was walking around ok. I haven't heard anything about his injury.. and if it was bad you'd think it woulda come out.

Tommy looked fine, he was walking around the sidelines and looked like he wanted to go back in. I think Kill and Co were just being extra careful with the true freshman.

I noticed Bak go into the game and had to check and see who it was. I actually thought the roster was wrong and that it was a FR who burned his RS, so I watched him pretty closely and he actually played decent.

I thought Mottla had a pretty good game too, he seemed to be splitting the snaps pretty evenly with Wynn (not sure who started). I watched him pretty closely because he's a Cretin kid (walk on as well, I don't think he has a scholarship now, but I know he came to the school as a walk on).
Our O-Line played a whale of a game, especially considering a big chunk of the time, it was a banged up SO (Olson), two WO SOs (Wynn and Bak), a FR (Epping), and one senior (Bunders).

Did Mottla play? On TV, they listed him as the starter but Wynn started and played virtually every snap that I noticed. I hope he got some PT in, the experience will be good in the long run. I just don't ever recall him playing.

Also glad to hear Kill say at some point they were going to check with BT officiating on those chop blocks that Epping got called for (not the first time either). The call looked pretty weak on the replay, and it killed what was an otherwise impressive first drive.

Our O-Line played a whale of a game, especially considering a big chunk of the time, it was a banged up SO (Olson), two WO SOs (Wynn and Bak), a FR (Epping), and one senior (Bunders).

Bob - One small correction. I believe that Wynn is a senior and also is not a walk-on.

All in all they looked as good/better than they have all year.

Bob - One small correction. I believe that Wynn is a senior and also is not a walk-on.

All in all they looked as good/better than they have all year.

I was referring to Mottla, who I thought I saw in the game. Maybe I did not, the people in the game started getting really confusing and I thought I saw him in the game and then TV listed him as a starter (when I watched on replay), so I thought he played. I am probably wrong. I might have mixed him up with Epping.

Did Mottla play? On TV, they listed him as the starter but Wynn started and played virtually every snap that I noticed. I hope he got some PT in, the experience will be good in the long run. I just don't ever recall him playing.

Also glad to hear Kill say at some point they were going to check with BT officiating on those chop blocks that Epping got called for (not the first time either). The call looked pretty weak on the replay, and it killed what was an otherwise impressive first drive.

Both chop block calls were weak but will get called every time when an interior lineman loses his feat and falls into a player being blocked. Epping is just so darn undersized that sometimes he gets tossed aside or lunges and the defender slides and Epping ends up on the ground...if he falls or rolls into another defender it looks like a chop block even though it is just a kid being trampled.

Top Bottom