Votes: 19 31.1%
  • 1750 - 2000 - Gopher record?

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • 2000+ History made!

Votes: 5 8.2%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
I honestly feel that Mo would have passed 2,000 yards last year had he played the whole season.

I don’t even think many of you would argue against that!

That said, this year after recovery and with a less mature offensive line and no Kieft, how many yards do you think he will end up with if he stays healthy?

Keep in mind he has a pretty good back-up to share carries with.

I honestly feel that Mo would have passed 2,000 yards last year had he played the whole season.

I don’t even think many of you would argue against that!

That said, this year after recovery and with a less mature offensive line and no Kieft, how many yards do you think he will end up with if he stays healthy?

Keep in mind he has a pretty good back-up to share carries with.

I think they will wanna spread it around a bit more to preserve Mo as much as I'd love to see him push for DT's record

I went with 1000-1500. I don't see anyway he doesn't top 1000 with a full season of health but I also think that Potts and Williams will both see some action as well and will cut into the final total. My guess would be that early in the year they will be cautious with all 3 guys given that they all suffered season ending injuries last year.

I went 1,750 - 2,000. My thinking is he didn't come back to have an average season. Have watched him practice and he's got everything he had before being injured.

I've looked at the Gophers as more of ball control/defensive team in the past. This year may be completely different. That's why I chose the record breaking year.

I went 1,750 - 2,000. My thinking is he didn't come back to have an average season. Have watched him practice and he's got everything he had before being injured.

I've looked at the Gophers as more of ball control/defensive team in the past. This year may be completely different. That's why I chose the record breaking year.
If he’s back to old self this this is highly likely.

Went with 1500-1750. While the coaches may spread it out a bit more, Mo will want to show he is fully healed so he can boost his NFL draft prospects.

I'm thinking it will be more like 2019, with Mo leading the pack with somewhere around 1,300 yards on 250ish attempts...

He came back to win. We will be strongest with three backs getting carries. Mo will be featured and get 60% or so of carries leaving plenty of opportunities for Potts and Williams.

Went with 1500-1750. While the coaches may spread it out a bit more, Mo will want to show he is fully healed so he can boost his NFL draft prospects.
You thinking Mo has been holding back in the past but will now really turn it loose for the draft?

I don’t think the 2023 offensive strategy will be to grind Mo down to pumice, and tempt fate, by pointless overwork and over-utilization when you have a very good three back rotation … and several great receivers … and a new OC. He goes over 1000; doubt he breaks 1500 unless we are shelving or underutilizing other upperclassmen assets.

I don’t think the 2023 offensive strategy will be to grind Mo down to pumice, and tempt fate, by pointless overwork and over-utilization when you have a very good three back rotation … and several great receivers … and a new OC. He goes over 1000; doubt he breaks 1500 unless we are shelving or underutilizing other upperclassmen assets.
I mean unless something crazy happens Mo won't be part of the 2023 offensive strategy... :)

But agree that in 2022 they won't want to overload him as long as the backups prove they can get it done and we have every reason to believe they can based on what we have seen of them.

My guess is Mo gets 20-25 carries a game and the rest are split among Potts, Williams.....

I also agree that he is unlikely to go over 1500, he is fully capable of doing it but don't think he will be asked too as we strive for a bit more balance on offense. My guess is he ends up somewhere around 1300 yards for the season.

In 2019 we had the following
Rodney Smith - 228 carries - 1210 yards - 8 TD
Mo Ibrahim - 114 carries - 605 yards - 7 TD
Shannon Brooks - 73 carries - 413 yards - 2 TD

Wouldn't shock me at all to see something very similar in 2022 with Mo getting the highest number of carries, Potts seeing a decent amount of action and Williams filling in the rest. Although I would expect to see Mo get a higher percentage of the TDs.

I hope it’s 1000-1500 with Potts also getting close to 1k. To me that’s where this team will be best with keeping them fresh so the combo can kill them in the 4th running out the clock playing Tressel ball

The description I've heard of repairing a torn Achilles is, "sewing two mop heads together." Expecting 1K+ yards after than injury like that is very optimistic.

It's possible he comes back where he was last year, but that is not the most likely outcome. I would guess 500-700 yards, and would be very happy to be proven wrong.

Quick excerpt from "Epidemiology and Outcomes of Achilles Tendon Ruptures in the National Football League"

"Results: 78 Achilles tendon ruptures were identified in professional football players during the 2010-2015 NFL seasons. 58% of these injuries occurred during the preseason. Of those that suffered an Achilles tendon rupture, 26% did not ever return to play in the NFL. Players who did return to play in the NFL took an average of 9 months to recover after the date of injury. Across all
positions, there was a net decrease in power ratings by 22% and a net decrease in approximate value by 23% over 3 years following player return after Achilles tendon rupture. Across all positions, running backs saw the biggest decrease in production with a 78% decrease over 3 years post-injury in both power ratings and approximate value."

My best guess is that Potts is the clear #1 by the end of the season. This is an over-use injury that's caused by improper training and load management. Mo will be lucky to recover from it, and I hope that Fleck learned his lesson about load management and running back rotations. There's a reason that the best offenses in the NFL don't "feature" RBs. No player other than a C or QB should be touching the ball 30+ times per game, especially that early in the season.

Last edited:

The description I've heard of repairing a torn Achilles is, "sewing two mop heads together." Expecting 1K+ yards after than injury like that is very optimistic.

It's possible he comes back where he was last year, but that is not the most likely outcome. I would guess 500-700 yards, and would be very happy to be proven wrong.

Quick excerpt from "Epidemiology and Outcomes of Achilles Tendon Ruptures in the National Football League"

"Results: 78 Achilles tendon ruptures were identified in professional football players during the 2010-2015 NFL seasons. 58% of these injuries occurred during the preseason. Of those that suffered an Achilles tendon rupture, 26% did not ever return to play in the NFL. Players who did return to play in the NFL took an average of 9 months to recover after the date of injury. Across all
positions, there was a net decrease in power ratings by 22% and a net decrease in approximate value by 23% over 3 years following player return after Achilles tendon rupture. Across all positions, running backs saw the biggest decrease in production with a 78% decrease over 3 years post-injury in both power ratings and approximate value."

My best guess is that Potts is the clear #1 by the end of the season. This is an over-use injury that's caused by improper training and load management. Mo will be lucky to recover from it, and I hope that Fleck learned his lesson about load management and running back rotations. There's a reason that the best offenses in the NFL don't "feature" RBs. No player other than a C or QB should be touching the ball 30+ times per game, especially that early in the season.
Source?

The sky is the limit for Mo if he is indeed 100%! I hope he has a Heisman kind of year, nobody deserves it more. Go Gophers.

This is sadly correct. It probably won't happen for Mo. Let's hope he shows otherwise.

Any article from early this year seems more optimistic about Achilles injuries: https://www.thefantasyfootballers.c...t=30-40% of players who,takes up to 12 months

Looks like there's a new procedure, likely developed after the data you referenced, that has better outcomes.

Any article from early this year seems more optimistic about Achilles injuries: https://www.thefantasyfootballers.com/articles/a-deep-dive-into-cam-akers-miraculous-recovery-from-achilles-tendon-surgery-fantasy-football/#:~:text=30-40% of players who,takes up to 12 months

Looks like there's a new procedure, likely developed after the data you referenced, that has better outcomes.
It wasn't that long ago that an ACL was a potential career ender, then it was a guaranteed full year of recovery, now there are guys coming back way quicker than that.

Advancements are happening all the time and every athlete recovers differently. All the reports on Mo have been great, so those making assumptions on how his comeback will go should sit back and see what happens when he takes the field this fall.

Back to a pair plus a spare and Mo and Potts both go over 1,000 yards and Morgan passes for 2500 and Gophers are top 3 in Big Ten in both offense and defense and play Ohio in Indy...Go Gophes.

I'm really hoping we spread the ball around more than other years.

Looks like 30.4% of us got it right.

Looks like 30.4% of us got it right.
Yep, I was in the group just below that. Figured he would approach 1500 but didn't think he would surpass it.

In 11 games as well. I was off by 200 yards and 50 carries.

Yep, I was in the group just below that. Figured he would approach 1500 but didn't think he would surpass it.
Is there a way to see how one voted? Can't remember if I cast my vote or not.

On a side note, Somewhere I predicted Braelon Allen wouldn't rush for 900 yards. He proved me wrong by gaining ~1,100 and I'll eat my words.
But it was a lucky 1,100 yards, dammit!

Is there a way to see how one voted? Can't remember if I cast my vote or not.

On a side note, Somewhere I predicted Braelon Allen wouldn't rush for 900 yards. He proved me wrong by gaining ~1,100 and I'll eat my words.
But it was a lucky 1,100 yards, dammit!
If you don’t see a check mark by one of the choices you didn’t vote.

Top Bottom