Initial thoughts on Michigan State-UNC

coolhandgopher

Reaction score
I'm sure that over the next two days, the beatdown that Carolina delivered in early December to Michigan State in this very same Ford Field will be referenced ad infinitum. While the 35 point win for the Tar Heels can be termed nothing else but impressive and overwhelming, it was not the same Michigan State team that they will face Monday night. It starts with the fact that Goran Suton did not play that game and will be present and formidable for the Spartans on Monday night. In addition, the Spartans have more seasoned freshman playing at this point in the season. In that game, Devlon Roe was held scoreless and in foul trouble most of the night; Draymond Green played six minutes and fouled out without attempting a shot; and Korie Lucious played 11 non-descript minutes. All three of those players have grown into their games and are currently playing with a lot of confidence. In addition, Kalin Lucas was in the midst of some early season struggles that he shook off and is no longer besieged with in his game.

So, now that we've established that the Spartans aren't the same team, do they have a shot in hell against the juggernaut which is the Tar Heels? Carolina's playing at an awfully high level and is exactly where everyone figured them to be at the beginning of the season. They have arguably the top point guard in the nation and the top backcourt in the nation, and they also feature last year's National POY. Their first guy off the bench is a freshman said to be their best pro prospect, on a roster dotted with future NBA players. Yeah, it's a formidable task for the Spartans.

Let's start in the backcourt. For my money, Ty Lawson's the best point guard in the nation and should be a future NBA star, now that he's developed a jump shot. He's strong, fast, and can hurt you shooting or delivering the basketball. His backcourt mate, Wayne Ellington, is playing at an extremely high level himself. I am curious how Izzo's going to match up with these guys on defense-does he assign Travis Walton, his best backcourt defender and one of the few guards who can match up with Lawson in the strength department, to UNC's point guard? Or does Lucas and his blinding quickness take on Lawson while Walton looks to shut down Ellington?

In the frontcourt, I like the Spartans chances here. If they held their own against Thabeet, Adrien, Robinson, and Edwards for UConn, I think they can do the same against Hansbrough, Thompson, Davis, and Zeller. In fact, I see Davis and Zeller having a tough time against the interior of Michigan State on Monday night-although they can out-length the Spartans, I think they haven't developed the requisite toughness yet to impact the Spartans. I like what Suton, Morgan, Gray, Green, and Ibok can throw at the frontline of UNC.

They'll have to make sure they account for Danny Green, who when he's rolling makes UNC also impossible to overcome. If Raymer Morgan can play like he did tonight, or close to it, I like this match up for the Spartans.

Off the bench, I really like what Michigan State can do. The tandem of Durrell Summers and Chris Allen can be incredibly explosive and the late season emergence of Draymond Green and Korie Lucious makes the Spartans ludicrously deep. Adding the post play and fouls of Marquis Gray and Ibok makes it eleven players at Izzo's service to offer quality minutes.

The biggest thing for Michigan State is not to get overwhelmed in the first ten minutes and then the first half of the game. UNC, particularly these last two games, has come out firing in the tournament and overwhelmed their opponents from the get go. And while Oklahoma and Villanova were unable to respond effectively, I think Michigan State is a different breed. For one, UNC's previous opponents couldn't offer the balance Michigan State does-either weak in the backcourt (Oklahoma) or the frontcourt (Villanova), UNC was able to exploit that. Michigan State has pretty good balance. The other thing I've noticed in watching UNC is the lack of truly salting away these opponents. Both Oklahoma and Villanova were outclassed and played horrible at times-yet, UNC didn't really pull away. The leads were never in doubt, but both second halves were exercises in sloppiness, and I think UNC can be in for some tense moments that they've yet to experience in the tournament if Michigan State can keep the score tight at halftime.

The last factor to look at is the head coaching match up. Call me a Big Ten sycophant, but I really like Izzo in the match up against Roy Boy. Izzo is masterful, there's no two ways about it, and we will get to see him (I assume) change strategy from Saturday (run at every opportunity) to Monday (control the ball, run the offense, milk the clock). Roy Williams has been criticized in the past for his X and O acumen; against most competition, it doesn't matter, but I don't think he matches wits well with Izzo.

My prediction? A tight game, but I like Michigan State's chances-provided they don't get overwhelmed in the beginning of the game and they have the halftime margin at least within 5-7 points of the Tar Heels. As we've seen in this tournament, MSU is a second half team and the Tar Heels have yet to be challenged in the second half of a game this tournament. I think that'll catch up with UNC, although they are pretty mentally tough (can't say enough good things about Lawson's game and how it's matured). I think it will be a great match up and potential classic. Don't listen to any idiots who say we'll see a repeat of the December game.

While I think UNC will win, the fact that the Spartans got this far is great for the conference. If they were to win, that would be awesome. I'll be rooting for the Spartys.

Maybe I am a sycophant for the B10 but I thought MSU was the most athletic of the four teams yesterday. I don't know what the point spread will be but I don't view an MSU victory as an upset, particularly in Detroit.

It also gives encouragement to the notion that the gophers aren't that far away. I didn't see the MSU away game but the one at Williams was reasonably competitive.

Your post is long, so perhaps I missed it, but I believe you failed to mention the atmosphere that will be so overwhelming in favor of MSU. In the first game...per the summary I read, "The NFL venue was configured for about 70,000 seats and perhaps one-third of them were filled with fans, creating a scene that was as lackluster as the game. The announced attendance was 25,267." Big difference this time. You can be sure that a lot of MSU fans gobbled up the extra tickets that Villanova and UConn fans were selling after their teams bowed out. It will be a ridiculous advantage for the "home" team, particularly if they can get some momentum early. This will be a great challenge for UNC. I think it will be a great game.

Keys: (1) stay in front of Lawson, (2) Raymar Morgan

My guess is Izzo will put Walton on Lawson. A physical, tough defender who has a chance to stay in front of Lawson. It will be up to him to prevent Lawson from driving & kicking to the potent 3-point shooters like Ellington. Quite simply if Lawson gets to the lane, don't leave the shooters. Make UNC shoot 2's to beat you. Guys like Summers, Hill, Lucas, Morgan, Lucious will have to be disciplined enough to not leave the shooters when Lawson gets to the lane.

Agree wholeheartedly about the frontcourt battle. Hansbrough will get his, but Sparty has a lot of physical bodies they can throw at UNC's frontline. There's no way in hell UNC's frontline is more physical than Thabeet, Adrien and Robinson & the Spartans held up just fine against those guys. A key will be that the officials don't blow the whistle every time Hansbrough gets breathed on. So far, the officials haven't fallen for Hansbrough's acting. Hopefully that continues.

To me, the key guy again will be Raymar Morgan. If he's invisible in the first 10 minutes, I don't like Sparty's chances. If he plays like he did vs. UConn, there's no reason MSU can't pull it off.

I still lean UNC, but I think the Spartans at +7.5 is a steal. As Robb pointed out, this basically will be a home game for Sparty. I'll take those points and won't be surprised at all if Sparty wins. To term this game "David vs. Goliath" as I've heard at least 2 talking heads/idiots claim it to be is pure lunacy. Since when is "David" a program that has reached 5 Final Fours in the last 11 years?

Great post CH. I wish Myron put forth as much effort as you do.

I know Michigan St. had injuries the first time they played and is definitely playing their best ball of the season.....regardless though, has a team ever been completely destroyed by an opponent (35 point loss) and then beat that opponent the next time they played? Same season, too? I'm just wondering what kind of rarity we would be looking at. Is it possible that UNC is just a horrible match-up for MSU?

I'm a huge Michigan St. fan but my gut feeling is that they will have a hard time staying within 10 points of UNC. I think UNC has to choke to lose this one. Like say...shooting 2-20 from the 3 point line while MSU hits almost 50%. I sure hope we get a good game tonight with some late game drama...or a MSU blowout win. :p

Not the same season, but Duke ended the undefeated year of UNLV in the Final Four one year after they were destroyed by 30 points in the national championship game. Both those teams featured the same cast of characters in each of those seasons.

I still lean UNC, but I think the Spartans at +7.5 is a steal. As Robb pointed out, this basically will be a home game for Sparty. I'll take those points and won't be surprised at all if Sparty wins. To term this game "David vs. Goliath" as I've heard at least 2 talking heads/idiots claim it to be is pure lunacy. Since when is "David" a program that has reached 5 Final Fours in the last 11 years?

I was with you SelectionSunday, I thought MSU +7.5 was lock and load. Boy we were wrong. Ole' Roy showed Izzo a thing or two about pressure, pushing the ball up the court and execution on the games grandest stage, not to mention this being a home game for Sparty as you pointed out. Tough night for the Izzone and my pocket book.

Top Bottom