Initial 2019 Coaches Poll - Gophers Receiving Votes

Can coaches vote for themselves?

Only 151 votes behind Nebby!

31 behind Fresno...

The 53-point difference between Clemson and Alabama corresponds exactly to the difference in first place votes, which means that every single one of the 65 voters had those two teams in the top two. College football feels very top heavy these days, doesn't it?

Coaches aren’t quite buying into the Nebraska hype. Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern are all ranked higher in the B1G West.

12/1 odds on the playoffs for Nebraska getting some disrespect in this poll...

There should be enough retrospective data to know which preseason polls are more accurate - human polls or computer models. Surely someone has looked at this.

Vegas doesn’t predict wins, they try to make money

I think I get what you're saying, and I don't necessarily disagree, but ...

So with a stupid 12/1 Neb odds to make the playoffs they can bait stupid fans for sure.

IMO they have to be more careful with points and such as any attempt to bait folks there could expose them to anyone else who knows better. They tend to fall in line a bit more with realistic odds there.

The 53-point difference between Clemson and Alabama corresponds exactly to the difference in first place votes, which means that every single one of the 65 voters had those two teams in the top two. College football feels very top heavy these days, doesn't it?

Unless the true blue chippers are distributed around the country in a way enforcing parity for the sake of parity, like the NFL Draft does, this will always be true.

There should be enough retrospective data to know which preseason polls are more accurate - human polls or computer models. Surely someone has looked at this.

The problem is that all anyone care about is predicting the current season (or current game), and the variables involved have wildly fluctuating variances, non-stationarities, and non-linear correlations, making a certain prediction of the current state almost impossible.

You can look backwards and say which method is closest to a mean, but that’s not really what anyone wants.

The problem is that all anyone care about is predicting the current season (or current game), and the variables involved have wildly fluctuating variances, non-stationarities, and non-linear correlations, making a certain prediction of the current state almost impossible.

You can look backwards and say which method is closest to a mean, but that’s not really what anyone wants.

Saying the preseason polls are completely worthless would have been sufficient.

Saying the preseason polls are completely worthless would have been sufficient.

No, it was addressing your question of if human or computer polls are better.

Having mean historical predictions closer to the actual mean historical outcome, looking backwards, only seems reasonable, but it ultimately doesn’t help much when the future outcomes of the most most interesting future games are basically random.

We’re in a 4-way tie for 54th with Troy, Tennessee and Mississippi. Is that good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

We’re in a 4-way tie for 54th with Troy, Tennessee and Mississippi. Is that good?

54th? Yet another source expecting the Gophers to somehow get worse, against almost all supporting data and trends that say otherwise.

Well, two are perennial top 30 teams in recruiting...there's got to be some degrees of separation analogy of goodness there.

Well, two are perennial top 30 teams in recruiting...there's got to be some degrees of separation analogy of goodness there.

You could say we’re doing more with less, I guess.

No, it was addressing your question of if human or computer polls are better.

Having mean historical predictions closer to the actual mean historical outcome, looking backwards, only seems reasonable, but it ultimately doesn’t help much when the future outcomes of the most most interesting future games are basically random.

In other words you agree with my statement

Ole Miss is even worse than TN at doing less with more. They had more players drafted in the first 3 rounds off of a 5-7 (1-7 SEC) team than the Gophers have had in the past 12 years combined.

Top Bottom