Inexperience, injuries have Ryan Day concerned about Ohio State readiness

swingman

Reaction score
Seeing his team in a true simulated game setting, though, drove home what Ryan Day already knew that his team still has a long way to go between now and Sept. 2 in order to get ready for its 2021 season opener against Minnesota.

“There was some good things out there,” Day said Monday while reviewing the scrimmage. “But it’s just, you don’t have Tuf Borland or Pete Werner or Baron Browning. You don’t have Justin Fields. Luke Farrell, you miss these guys that you just counted on, and now you have some of these younger guys that haven’t done it and didn’t have a chance to play much over the past year. So the rush is on to get them ready."

The Buckeyes already have at least eight players sidelined by injuries this spring, including defensive tackle Haskell Garrett, linebackers Dallas Gant and Mitchell Melton, cornerbacks Sevyn Banks and Cameron Brown, safety Kourt Williams, offensive lineman Harry Miller and wide receiver Kamryn Babb.

That’s why Friday was the first time Ohio State did full tackling this spring, and why only two of its four practices this week are in full pads.

I guess this is a bit of unique situation for Day at the QB position as he has had a sure fire #1 in Fields the past two years. Going into this year he has very talented kids out of high school but they have next to zero in game experience. Kind of surprised they haven't landed some hot shot transfer to this point.

Seeing his team in a true simulated game setting, though, drove home what Ryan Day already knew that his team still has a long way to go between now and Sept. 2 in order to get ready for its 2021 season opener against Minnesota.

“There was some good things out there,” Day said Monday while reviewing the scrimmage. “But it’s just, you don’t have Tuf Borland or Pete Werner or Baron Browning. You don’t have Justin Fields. Luke Farrell, you miss these guys that you just counted on, and now you have some of these younger guys that haven’t done it and didn’t have a chance to play much over the past year. So the rush is on to get them ready."

The Buckeyes already have at least eight players sidelined by injuries this spring, including defensive tackle Haskell Garrett, linebackers Dallas Gant and Mitchell Melton, cornerbacks Sevyn Banks and Cameron Brown, safety Kourt Williams, offensive lineman Harry Miller and wide receiver Kamryn Babb.

That’s why Friday was the first time Ohio State did full tackling this spring, and why only two of its four practices this week are in full pads.

You kind of feel bad for the guy. Having to play on the road with all those inexperienced 5* recruits.

I guess this is a bit of unique situation for Day at the QB position as he has had a sure fire #1 in Fields the past two years. Going into this year he has very talented kids out of high school but they have next to zero in game experience. Kind of surprised they haven't landed some hot shot transfer to this point.
Sooner or later you have to use one of those 5* QBs you recruited over multiple years.

I hope the gophers can throw some different looks at Ohio St and don't do the same old vanilla BS in Sept like they have the past 3 years. Get ballsy like Kill did against TCU in '15. Came out with the no huddle...I loved it.

Sooner or later you have to use one of those 5* QBs you recruited over multiple years.
Yeah, I don't think anyone is going to feel sorry for them. Still, no matter how talented a kid is out of high school it is a big ask for them to hit the ground running in the Big Ten with little to no game experience.

I have zero doubt that OSU will be just fine in the end but maybe we can catch them in a bit of a transition phase where things aren't yet clicking on all cylinders.

I can guarantee the OSU fanbase won't have any sympathy for him in needing to replace elite players. Happens all the time, and they will expect the team to start the year just as dominant as always.

I hope the gophers can throw some different looks at Ohio St and don't do the same old vanilla BS in Sept like they have the past 3 years. Get ballsy like Kill did against TCU in '15. Came out with the no huddle...I loved it.
I hope they can. But going crazy first game of the year when normally you're rusty is also a good way to ... not do good things.

Pretty big roll of the dice to take on the first series.

Oh, you mean on offense. I immediately assumed you were going defense, since OP was talking about how they're going to be green at QB. I hope that too is something that Rossi and Harasymiak are able to cook up. Granted, they need the playmakers who can get that done.

On offense, until proven wrong, Sanford for me is Robb Smith. Close your eyes and hope for the best.

Excellent!!

Let's open this bad boy up on September 2 -

1617968148905.png

Have to do something. We've been extremely lucky particularly two years ago winning the first 4 games by the skin of our teeth. I agree we don't want to overload the players, but holy cow, we've got to do more than what we've typically done in the first couple games or so.

Why is it that I feel like Ryan Day has bee taking lessons from Lou Holz. Lou would have you thinking that his powerhouse Notre Dame teams were the Little Sisters of the Poor.

OSU needs ‘the fixer’ Jerry Kill.
According to Kill's bio he joined TCU in Feb or 2020 so he is probably getting antsy to move on to something else. He would probably listen if they called. :)

Ohio State back-up tackle, Max Wray, a redshirt junior and a four -star recruit out of high school, enetered portal last week. He started one game last year and was likely top reserve this coming year. Thayer Munford opted to return for a 5th year at tackle despite considered a NFL draft prospect.

Umm, all I can say is wow. Jack Sawyer, the #2 recruit in the 2021 class and early enrollee had FOUR sacks in their spring game today. Already getting comparisons to Chase Young and the Bosa brothers from those close to the program. They are also reportedly favored to land the #1 recruit in the class JT Tuimolaou, a defensive end as well.

Their two hyped freshman receivers Marvin Harrison Jr. and Emeka Egbuka looked unbelievable today and have reportedly already solidified their spots on the 2 deep in spring practices. The two finished for 14 receptions and 172 yards combined. Those two will pair with Chris Olave, Garrett Wilson, and Jaxon Smith-Njigba to form the deepest and most dangerous set of wideouts of any team in the country this year.

Minnesota's OL and secondary will get put to the test right away, but there is so much experience on the OL. That'll be a big time matchup to watch.
It'll be interesting to see how Durr and Walley fare... they are two players who I believe will play at a high level this year, but they will absolutely need help from the pass rush if they want any chance against OSU's receiving core.

Honestly I think 2021 is the first fall you can really judge to see if Day is as good as people claim him to be. 30-50 coaches could win big with Ohio states roster the last two years

tOSU could be missing it's top 11 on both sides of the ball and still field a team with better athletes than Minnesota. I didn't understand exactly how true that was until I watched J.T. Barret (a quarterback) run for a 90-yard touchdown against the best (and fastest) secondary Minnesota has had in my lifetime.

tOSU could be missing it's top 11 on both sides of the ball and still field a team with better athletes than Minnesota. I didn't understand exactly how true that was until I watched J.T. Barret (a quarterback) run for a 90-yard touchdown against the best (and fastest) secondary Minnesota has had in my lifetime.
That play was painful to watch. A "Bo Jackson vs. Colts Defense" Tecmo Bowl-kinda moment.

Top Bottom