Indiana State River College (JUCO) guard Abdoulaye Thiam commits to Minnesota

Look, you moron, why don't you just look this up? They had two guys who were designated as point guards. One was named AJ Cajuste. He had 104 assists in 24 games. He obviously was the starter. The other was named Tanahj Pettway and he had 52 assists in 24 games. He obviously was the backup.

Thiam was not the point guard and he's not designated as one on the roster but even if you didn't know that, his stats should tell you that he's not.

Carr was primarily a scoring point but he still had a lot of assists.

Why do you insist on arguing before you even done any research? That's the hallmark of a blowhard and a dope.
Provide some game tape or stand down, private.

Video footage. Not much, but something.

Per 247 he had 7 offers.
minnesota, Buffalo, Coastal Carolina, Georgia!! (southern), Jacksonville and University of Tennessee (Martin)

At least I had heard of William and Mary. This is getting ridiculous.

The article totally screwed up the school's name. I lived in Indiana while in grad school at Purdue, and the name just didn't sound right. I asked my wife who was born and raised in Indiana and she said not only is there no such school, but Indiana doesn't have community colleges (but some of the regional 4 year schools do offer the associate's degree).
The school's name is Indian River State College, and it's in Ft. Pierce Fl.

From 247...
Abdoulaye Thiam is a shooter, a worker, and a winner. That's how he was described by his high school coach and his junior college coach in previous interviews and that is why Ben Johnson and the Minnesota Gopher staff is bringing him to the Big Ten.

Thiam averaged 15 points a game at Indian River State College, a junior college program that qualified for the Junior College National Tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas this year. Thiam scored those 15 points a game on 56 percent field goal shooting, 48.6 percent three point shooting, and 70 percent foul shooting. He grabbed 3.7 rebounds a game as well.

10396847.jpeg

Abdoulaye will have four years to play as he was a qualifier out of high school and will get his freshman year back due to covid rules. He's a 6-foot-3 guard from Orlando, Florida.

His offer list included Minnesota, Buffalo, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Jacksonville, Kent State, and UT Martin.

Thiam averaged 17.6 points a game for Dr. Phillips High School two years ago as a senior for a 20 win team. He tweeted the following words with his commitment:

"This has been one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make in my life. But I am so grateful I got the chance to be recruited by division one schools. Coming from underrated where nobody knows who I am then getting to the point where the city knows my name, but I still feel I am getting the respect I deserve. I kept my head down and I am grateful I did because know I get the chance to play at a high level at one of the best schools in the country. I got this out of the mud and I am grateful for it. The mission is nowhere near complete. Let's stick to the plan. This journey has been one of the wildest rides but I wouldn't have it any other way.

"With all this being said, I am committing to the University of Minnesota. Go Gophers!"

Watching Thiam's video mashup from HUDL, he's a rhythm shooter where he drops the ball to his waist before bringing it up for release. The Gopher staff will have to run plays that get Thiam open for Thiam to get his shot off.
Thiam looks like he could have a bit of "Hoffarber" in him as far as pure shooter.

The article totally screwed up the school's name. I lived in Indiana while in grad school at Purdue, and the name just didn't sound right. I asked my wife who was born and raised in Indiana and she said not only is there no such school, but Indiana doesn't have community colleges (but some of the regional 4 year schools do offer the associate's degree).
The school's name is Indian River State College, and it's in Ft. Pierce Fl.

You know, even if the name contained "Indiana," that would not establish that the school was located in the state of Indiana. There is an Indiana University (D II) in western Pennsylvania. It is located in Indiana County. It used to be called Indiana State College but changed its name to Indiana University of Pennsylvania when it achieved university status. Pennsylvania also has a California State University.

Watching Thiam's video mashup from HUDL, he's a rhythm shooter where he drops the ball to his waist before bringing it up for release. The Gopher staff will have to run plays that get Thiam open for Thiam to get his shot off.
Thiam looks like he could have a bit of "Hoffarber" in him as far as pure shooter.
I have the same concern about his shot. May be a reason why no high majors were looking at him.

I have the same concern about his shot. May be a reason why no high majors were looking at him.
Same! Looked like a very slow release. Interesting that he talked about the coach "fixing his shot" as one of the reasons he committed to Indian River.

His shot will work, but his teammates will need to draw his defender away via drive and kickout or feed to the post, double-team, with a kickout. The other option is to run him from wing to wing and set picks to clear him.
The potential is there, it's on the coaches as to how they use him

If he can make wide open shots that will be a step in the right direction than I will worry about knocking down shots with a hand in his face....Gophers has to lead college basketball in missed threes or very close many of those were WIDE open.

If he can make wide open shots that will be a step in the right direction than I will worry about knocking down shots with a hand in his face....Gophers has to lead college basketball in missed threes or very close many of those were WIDE open.
Yep. The DARED us to shoot them. And shoot them we did.

His shooting stroke may lead to a lot of opposition blocks.

I don't see how this guy is better than Ish El-Amin. Okay we'll have him for four years, but I still find it odd we didn't offer El-Amin

I don't see how this guy is better than Ish El-Amin. Okay we'll have him for four years, but I still find it odd we didn't offer El-Amin
There’s more to it than skill. Do you know if Ish wants to have a bench role? Is he willing to defend?

Will this young man accept a bench role when Johnson recruits over him? How do you know he is willing to defend?
At this point we don't know who is willing to defend. However, reading Thiam's comments, he is going to work extremely hard to prove his worth.

At this point we don't know who is willing to defend. However, reading Thiam's comments, he is going to work extremely hard to prove his worth.
Imagine believing everything said in interviews. Find the guy who says “I really don’t worry about defense. I’m not a team player, I don’t work very hard” or a coach that says “yeah, we’re gonna not play D, not work hard, not be exciting and recruit low character guys”

you can’t take every word spoken as gospel.

Imagine believing everything said in interviews. Find the guy who says “I really don’t worry about defense. I’m not a team player, I don’t work very hard” or a coach that says “yeah, we’re gonna not play D, not work hard, not be exciting and recruit low character guys”

you can’t take every word spoken as gospel.
True, but you can be positive until it doesn't happen.
Man there are a lot of negative people on the GH.

True, but you can be positive until it doesn't happen.
Man there are a lot of negative people on the GH.
You’d be a great target for a pyramid scheme. Just believe every word. There is a video showing what every college coach says at opening press conferences. Its all the same. Many times word for word. You need to watch it

You’d be a great target for a pyramid scheme. Just believe every word. There is a video showing what every college coach says at opening press conferences. Its all the same. Many times word for word. You need to watch it
Well, I read what his high school coach and JC coach say about him. I read what Ben Johnson is looking for in players and I see the video of Thiam playing.
The kid is working hard and improving. I look forward to seeing his improvement over the next four years.
Now back to you, Oscar...

Top Bottom