Indaina to host Penn State in Washington DC?

If this stands (well maybe either way), I now have a least favorite team in the Big Ten.

IU is clearly stating with this move that college footbal is only about money. I'm not naive, I know money is a huge factor, but when it becomes bigger than the spirit of competition and fairplay, tradition, history, gameday atmosphere, etc. than I will be getting off the train.

If IU wants to behave like a MAC or Sun Belt team, let them join the MAC or Sun Belt. That would get the BT back down to 10 and let us resume a round-robin scheduling similar to that of the Big Ten.

IU sucks:mad:

yeah, and imagine how embarrassed they would be if they had been playing college football for 120 years and still hadn't won a national title........boy would their faces be red.........oh wait.......i am talking about the wrong team.........that is wisconsin i just described.........my bad......sorry!

:rolleyes:

At least somebody got it and somehow I knew that would be the response.:clap:

This is completely bogus and the Big Ten needs to put a stop to this immediately. I remember a few years ago when there was a scheduling conflict with the Twins that Michigan wanted Minnesota to travel to Ford Field and play a "home" game. I seem to remember the conference stepping in and saying that wasn't an option.

Neutral field games are fine in college football...Florida/Georgia, Texas/OU and Kansas/Mizzou do this every year. But this isn't a neutral field. If IU and PSU want to do this then the agreement needs to be a 2 year agreement (so PSU is giving up a home game the next year) and the ticket allotment needs to be even (even if IU can't sell out).

Also, I am fine with NW playing Illinois and/or Iowa at Wrigley (as has been negotiated). Chicago is still close enough to NW's campus that one could argue it's a home game.

This is completely bogus and the Big Ten needs to put a stop to this immediately. I remember a few years ago when there was a scheduling conflict with the Twins that Michigan wanted Minnesota to travel to Ford Field and play a "home" game. I seem to remember the conference stepping in and saying that wasn't an option.

Couple of things.
1) The B10 AD's (including Maturi) already voted on and approved this. Via Rittenburg:
Rittenburg's Blog said:
After Glass discussed the game with Lynch, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany and Penn State AD Tim Curley, the league's athletic directors voted on the game during a conference call last week. It was approved by a unanimous vote of 9-0 (Penn State and Indiana abstained). Big Ten associate commissioner for television of administration Mark Rudner told me the location was approved "with the conditions that the game is treated as a home game in every respect, an Indiana home game."

"With our revenue sharing, the Big Ten is going to make more money off this game than they would have in Bloomington, Indiana," Glass said. "They're going to have a chance to have a high-profile game on the Eastern side of our boundary, which I think is a good thing, and show the Big Ten flag to recruits and others. I think it's a win-win all around.
2) I'm betting the reason the Gophers didn't play a game @ Ford Field was because it was our home game. I would think that we'd have to agree to it before it would have even been an option.

If Indiana does this, they're no better than a Sun Belt team that plays 4 non-conference road games for a guaranteed payment. This is bad for the Big Ten and College Football. Are they trying to become the NFL or MLB? When you favor the big boys in scheduling, the integrity of the season becomes a joke.

3 notable moments that made me want to puke and killed a piece of my excitement for the sport:

1. Last year, Boston and Oakland played a 2-game season opening series in Japan. Boston had the huge crowd advantage because of Dice-K but that's besides the point. Oakland was deemed the "home" team for the 2 games when the schedulers could have easily made each team the home team for 1 game. That still ticks me off. Oakland played the season with 83 road games and 79 home games while Boston had the inverse. How is that fair?

2. During the aftermath from Hurricane Katrina, the NFL had the New Orleans Saints play a home game at Giants stadium...against the New York Giants. The game could have easily been played 300 miles from New Orleans at Reliant Stadium in Houston but the NFL seized the opportunity to give a major boost to the big market New York Giants. Total BS.

3. During the aftermath from Hurricane Ike last year, MLB moved a series orginially scheduled to be played at Minute Maid park in Houston between the Chicago Cubs and the Houston Astros to Miller Park in Milwaukee, less than 70 miles from Chicago. Guess who filled the seats in Milwaukee? If you said Astros fans, you'd be wrong. Several options other than Milwaukee existed but why be fair to the Astros when you can favor the 3rd most marketable baseball team in the league?

Even if the Indiana AD is complicit in the scheduling of the game in DC, it doesn't make it right. Remember that 'Ol Carl tried to contract the very team he owned. When you put the almighty dollar ahead of integrity, you become no better than the WWE. Maybe that's why I find myself drawn more and more to professional golf. There aren't implicit and explicit biases that give Tiger Woods an advantage.

Good points, but we are talking the college, not the pros.

Jokes aside, was there anything wrong with playing the game in Indianapolis?

There is no excuse or reason for this. As said before UI should be banished from the B10.

Jokes aside, was there anything wrong with playing the game in Indianapolis?

There is no excuse or reason for this. As said before UI should be banished from the B10.

Sure was. Not enough Benjamins for the IU AD to play with. :)

This wouldn't be considered a money grabbing sell out if the game had been proposed for Lucas Oil Field. But, by putting it in the lap of a well traveling fan base, not far from them on the East coast is a complete JOKE.

I would be pissed if I were an Indiana fan.
I think I read that Curry said that DC is in part of the country that they are recruiting and will be good for recruits? Can't the same be said for Penn State? Especially when the stadium will now be an extra home game for Penn State?

Why did Indiana go ahead with their renovation of their stadium and then do something like this?

If Indiana were to change any venue wouldn't it be more wise to play in Soldier Field or in Indianapolis? I would think getting a larger fan base to sell season tickets would be their goal.

Top Bottom