Incoming Freshmen

DL65

Reaction score
A thread that's similar to who will have a breakout year?

Most of the freshmen from the recent recruiting class will be redshirted. Typically those that see the field the earliest are the skill position players. Who are the 1st year freshmen that you expect to see on the field for the Gophers this year? Your opinion, what position has the greatest need and is the best opportunity for a freshman player seeing the field early (excluding special teams)?

Go Gophers!!

It's a foregone conclusion that McDonald will see the field early and often. I have a sneaking suspicion that part of the reason he came back around to Minnesota were promises that he wouldn't be redshirted this year. Other than him (and all of the JuCos, with the possible exception of Boddy), I could see any/all of the below getting run this year:

Harbison, A. Johnson, Hinojosa, Maye, Travis, M. Williams, and Ekpe

I hope they all get redshirted, but I doubt it will happen.

Here's my list of who sees the field in order of importance:

1. McDonald
2. Maye
3. Ekpe
4. Maxx Williams
5. Travis or A Johnson

yep. mcdonald should see the field a bunch. if he can adjust i picture him making the all-freshman team pretty easily.

1. McDonald
2. Maye
3. Ekpe
4. Maxx Williams
5. Travis or A Johnson

I saw Maxx Williams at his sister's track meet in Waconia a few weeks ago. No way he is physically ready to play TE in the Big 10.

My thoughts: Kill is going to try and balance things out class wise, splitting alot of this class and last years. It also allows him to integrate "his" guys into the systems early and should pay off with better performances this year and next versus just redshirting the lot and taking his medicine W/L wise like he did last year trying to put everything together. IMO Kill has been very calculating and smart about how he goes about setting the program up structurally. He knows what he's doing.

-Recruited lots of OL/QB in his first 2 classes
-got quality JUCO help for key spots
-found alot of Hback/ATH types who could play multiple spots if they settle into them.

As far as this year goes:

Antonio Johnson-Likely play, Kill's said before he expects safety depth to be improved when Johnson and Travis come into camp. One or both may play.

KJ Maye-Play, brings a slotback/speed/playmaker element to the offense

Damarius Travis-Play, see Johnson.

Maxx Williams-Play, little depth at Hback behind Rabe, Goodger will be more of a blocker, Williams can backup Rabe and start for 3 years. Very strong athlete who was in the huddles at spring camp, should be ready to contribute.

Rodrick Williams Jr.-Play, unless Kirkwood/Cobb are healthy. Kill/Limegrover have always used alot of runningbacks in their O, I think Williams may surprise people with his size, especially since he was a wrestler in HS, and will have been training for a football body full time for the first time.

Scott Ekpe- Play, DT depth isn't great and he's been enrolled/working out already

Jamel Harbison- Play, WR core is fairly deep but very unproven, talent will rise to the top regardless of age

Andre McDonald-Play, see Harbison. Best WR's will play, nobody's earned a starting gig yet.

Jordan Hinojosa-Likely play, see Ekpe minus being here already, we need DT depth, a RS would be a nice luxury, especially after watching guys like Kirksey/Edwards/Tinsley/Mcknight just begin to emerge their "upperclass" years, and then be done(edwards by his own stupidity, but still)

Philip Nelson-The great debate, I think RS, but if Shortell goes down, even if Gray is healthy, i think he could be called upon.

Jonah Pirsig-RS, needs time to season and fill in his frame.

Lincoln Plsek-RS, big athlete type i think will get a shot at a few positions before settling in

Yoshoub Timms-RS, Hinjosa/Ekpe will fill in depth, Timms will sit and grow, balance out the classes at this position a bit.
Nick Rallis-Likely RS, but could be a special teamer

Eric Murray-RS, good athlete that will need to learn, nice to have depth here and allow a kid like Murray to RS(Theret, Collado, Carter could have used another year)

Isaac Hayes- RS, although I'd bet had this been last year he'd have played like Tommy Olson did

Alex Keith-RS, DE depth is ok, and Keith is a bit light with a high ceiling, much like Theiren Cockran was last year.

Mitch Leidner-RS, won't be the backup, hit the bench and learn

Jack Lynn-I think RS, but only because of our senior depth, he seems like he could be a special teamer right off the bat, but let him learn behind some good senior leaders.

I saw Maxx Williams at his sister's track meet in Waconia a few weeks ago. No way he is physically ready to play TE in the Big 10.

A lot of guys we have aren't physically ready to play in the B1G, that's why we've been 3-9 the last 2 years. The offense Limegrover runs likes to use 2 TE sets, and our current depth chart is Rabe and Goodger. A true freshmen will get some minutes.

Imbalance in Last Year's Freshman Class

Last year's freshman class now has only 11 scholarship players because several members of that class were not red shirted. I suspect Kill is going to want to play at least six or seven of this year's freshman class also in order to balance last year's class and to get more talent on the field. It seems to me that people have done a pretty good job of identifying the likely candidates to play this year so I don't have much to add to that discussion. My only prediction is that the over/under for the number of freshman playing this year is seven.

Last year's freshman class now has only 11 scholarship players because several members of that class were not red shirted. I suspect Kill is going to want to play at least six or seven of this year's freshman class also in order to balance last year's class and to get more talent on the field. It seems to me that people have done a pretty good job of identifying the like candidates to play this year so I don't have much to add to that discussion. My only prediction is that the over/under for the number of freshman playing this year is seven.

True. But it's also important to remember that there are several walk-ons who will be RS Fr this fall and are good candidates for scholarships at some point in the future - namely Christenson, Heifort, and Schultz. According to what I read, Christenson and Schultz were both running in the 2 deeps during spring ball. Giving them scholarships as Soph or Jr is another way to backfill some of the lost numbers from that year.

Walk-On Scholarship Recipients

True. But it's also important to remember that there are several walk-ons who will be RS Fr this fall and are good candidates for scholarships at some point in the future - namely Christenson, Heifort, and Schultz. According to what I read, Christenson and Schultz were both running in the 2 deeps during spring ball. Giving them scholarships as Soph or Jr is another way to backfill some of the lost numbers from that year.

You have raised a very interesting question since Coach Kill wants to establish a strong walk-on program at the U. Since there are a very limited number of scholarship available for 2013 class the most likely scenario would be that these walk-on scholarships would become available from the graduation of the 2013 class (presently 19 scholarships) or the 2014 class (presently 24 scholarships). Of course these numbers are a moving target but it would make sense to do it that way if they are deserving of a scholarship. It certainly would help balance the classes.

I expect 7 true freshmen to make the traveling squad for the opener in Vegas 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 QB ( Nelson won't play unless both Gray and Shortell go down) 1 DT, and here is my surprise. Maxx Williams will be our punter unless they get the Aussie kid in school. We can't have 1 out of every 2 punts shanked like we did last year.

I expect 7 true freshmen to make the traveling squad for the opener in Vegas 3 WR, 1 RB, 1 QB ( Nelson won't play unless both Gray and Shortell go down) 1 DT, and here is my surprise. Maxx Williams will be our punter unless they get the Aussie kid in school. We can't have 1 out of every 2 punts shanked like we did last year.

There is no way they will waste Williams RS as a punter with three on the roster (Orseske, Mortell, Schwerman). You are overreacting as usual, something Kill won't do. Coach knows exactly what he will be doing at punter, we do not. I am not worried.

We have 5 TE's, so Williams RS will not be wasted at TE either.

I think McDonald, Maye, Ekpe, and Johnson OR Travis play fior sure. Haribison is 50-50. Neither Williams plays. My wild card is Plsek at H-back/special teamer. My official over/under is 5, leaning toward 6...

Yes, but 1 was a QB 6 months ago, one was a DE, and the other is a walk-on. 3 of the 5 have never played a down, and the other 2 have one year of D-1 experience. It's not exactly a position of strength.

highwayman said:
There is no way they will waste Williams RS as a punter with three on the roster (Orseske, Mortell, Schwerman). You are overreacting as usual, something Kill won't do. Coach knows exactly what he will be doing at punter, we do not. I am not worried.

I think McDonald, Maye, Ekpe, and Johnson OR Travis play fior sure. Haribison is 50-50. Neither Williams plays. My wild card is Plsek at H-back/special teamer. My official over/under is 5, leaning toward 6...
Yeah like "fior sure"! Happy that your official over under is so official and you know EXACTLY what Kill is going to do "fior sure".

KGM, Alipate, and probably even Ngekia will all see some run.

I will be surprised if Alipate sees the field this year. I wasn't very impressed with what I saw during spring ball, hopefully he uses the rest of spring and summer to prove me wrong.

Overreacting as usual?... Me thinks you should really take a hard look at the TE
situation. It not exactly bursting with experience. As Gault said, the 3 backups don't
bring alot to the table. Williams played TE in the Army Game caught a TD pass and I believe averaged 45 yards a punt. Granted, he needs to add some weight, but whose to say he won't put on 15-20 lbs before fall practice. If I remember right, Kill is in charge of the kicking game and I'm sure that is why he went after the Aussie. The punting during Spring Practice was very inconsistent.
Orseke was all over the place. Field position is a big part of the game. If Coach Kill feels Williams can be a factor on the field he will use him.

1. McDonald
2. Maye
3. Ekpe
4. Maxx Williams
5. Travis or A Johnson

So, I really don't want to start a huge "star rating" argument or anything, but I'm wondering why so many people have McDonald starting for sure and Harbison as a maybe. Weren't they both 4 star WR's? Is there something specific about one or the other that makes them lean toward McDonald or is it because he's from MN or we think he was "guaranteed" a starting position to change his commitment? Not being critical - just wondering if I'm missing something because I've seen so many posts about McDonald and very little about Harbison.

So, I really don't want to start a huge "star rating" argument or anything, but I'm wondering why so many people have McDonald starting for sure and Harbison as a maybe. Weren't they both 4 star WR's? Is there something specific about one or the other that makes them lean toward McDonald or is it because he's from MN or we think he was "guaranteed" a starting position to change his commitment? Not being critical - just wondering if I'm missing something because I've seen so many posts about McDonald and very little about Harbison.

McDonald is 6'3" 200 lbs. Harbison is 6'0" 190 lbs. McDonald is already bigger than most of the WRs on our team, and it seems that physically he would be better positioned to play right away.

I think the biggest reason is that some of us believe that Harbison will probably be most effective in the slot. We really lack depth and talent on the outside (where McDonald will be playing), but we have a couple decent players in the slot. Jones showed promise last year as a FR and even Moulton would be more comfortable in the slot. Heck, if McDonald and DCT firmly grab the outside spots, Green could even get a bit of run from the slot.

I personally think Harbison sees the field a ton and it will mostly be from the slot. (which is why I think Maye will be RS). We need more playmakers on our offense and I just don't see how we have the luxury of RSing a guy who has as much talent as Harbison.

I think being from Minnesota has something to do with the lean toward McDonald. Same as the big lean toward Nelson over Shortell. Not pure favoritism - just a lot more familiarity with the local kid generating a lot of excitement for him. People just haven't seen as much of Shortell and Harbison to compare. Granted, we've seen something of Shortell - but that wasn't a completely fair evaluation, throwing him to the lions with a team that hardly knew Kill/Limegrover's system yet.

[QUOTE We need more playmakers on our offense and I just don't see how we have the luxury of RSing a guy who has as much talent as Harbison.[/QUOTE]

Lack of playmakers has been a huge problem, but they don't grow on trees. Let's hope that some arrive here or current players emerge. Playmakers also take a ton of pressure off the QB. There's nothing like a playmaker turning a 10 yard run or pass into an 80 yard TD. Go Gophers!

A lot o talk about roster management here (I.e. class balancing). How much do you guys think that will really play into it when we're talking about a 3-9 team. Don't you think that'll just play whomever can help us the most?

I haven't been paying that much attention, but it seems to me that Kill was raving about Ekpe during and after spring practice. How he'd put on a lot of muscle (was up to 280 or something like that--I could be wrong). Was working hard in the classroom and meeting all the football program workout expectations. Given Kill's comments, I'd be surprised if Ekpe didn't see the field.

I got a strong feeling Harbison is going to see a decent of the field this year, McDonald and him are going to have to contribute right away for this team to keep progressing. Hopefully Jamel has some good experiences too, might help us in landing Marquez North next year if he sees his friend tearing it up and sees an opening.

Hopefully Jamel has some good experiences too, might help us in landing Marquez North next year if he sees his friend tearing it up and sees an opening.

We have also offered Anthony Covington (from Mallard), the #24 ranked safety according to ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/150634/anthony-covington

I was pretty disappointed to hear Brian Walker (also from Mallard, 4* CB) already committed to North Carolina. Wishful thinking...

Mallard Creek seems like a football factory. Not a bad idea trying to establish a deep connection to the school.

Mallard Creek is a new school. It opened in 2007. Football people can build a program in a hurry.

Mallard Creek is a new school. It opened in 2007. Football people can build a program in a hurry.

Mallard Creek was spun off from 20 schools in the same school district. It is also the largest of those 21 schools. You can assume they got anything they wanted.

Interesting sub note: "The school's varsity football team was forfeited to a 1-10 season in 2008, due to an ineligible player who violated the NCHSAA's 8-semester eligibility rule. Before the conflict about the ineligible player, the team's record for the season was 10-0, but on October 31, the appeal was rescinded, and the team forfeited their 10 wins."

Top Bottom