Inbounds Plays

Gopher73

Reaction score
Congrats to the Gophers and Coach Smith for a nice win. It sure was frustrating watching our inbounds plays. There is no movement and everything looks half speed. Mich St. and other teams cut hard and cut sharply off of picks. Our main play in the lob back to mid court. We turned the ball over a few times on inbounds plays. Twice after a time out. C'mon...let's get some movement and some intensity on the inbounds plays.

+1

I was thinking the same thing myself. It seems we have struggled with this over the years (I remember being very frustrated with some of Clem's teams inability to inbound the ball)

Did you guys watch the game? There was plenty of movement. The issue was that the trigger man didn't use the designed (and open) fail-safe. They were open. Break down the film.

A few games earlier I heard one of the announcers say that Tubby only has about 4 inbounds plays. If you watch the series of inbounds plays that we cannot get the ball into play it's basically the same inbound play every time with just a very slight variation. Tubby is pretty vanilla when it comes to offensive creativity. Thankfully he can really coach defense.

I do agree with GopherJake, though. No one cut to the ball and called for it. Many times they ran away from the guy inbounding the ball, which really makes it tough to get the ball to an open guy.

Some of you are so dramatic! We won, the guy inbounding the ball missed an open guy right away and then panicked. It happens, tubby doesn't run plays that aren't proven to work. I swear some of you guys would look to bitch about things if we won a national title.

My post about the lack of execution on our inbounds plays. It's happened all year. Watch the films. I watched MSU's Appling busting it around screens to get the ball on their inbounds plays. He gets the ball. We seem half speed. Yes, there are times when the player inbounding the ball doesn't get the pass in. However, more than half of the time we end up with the half court lob to get it in. Just an observation that we need to make some adjustments on these inbounds plays for the rest of the BIG.

Some of you are so dramatic! We won, the guy inbounding the ball missed an open guy right away and then panicked. It happens, tubby doesn't run plays that aren't proven to work. I swear some of you guys would look to bitch about things if we won a national title.

Dude...did you watch the game??? Were you there???

We failed like 5-6 times in a row. After the 5th time, a large percentage of the crowd was booing when we had to call a time out.

A then when we finally got it in: resounding cheers.

Dude...did you watch the game??? Were you there???

We failed like 5-6 times in a row. After the 5th time, a large percentage of the crowd was booing when we had to call a time out.

A then when we finally got it in: resounding cheers.

Yes I watched the game it wasn't this absolute train wreck. It was on the inbounded no one else get over it and move on. We won the damn game tubby and the team will work on it this week and it will be taken care of. Quit being so damn dramatic...dude

Don't forget izzo is a damn good coach and did some things that worked. It wasn't like we were playing the school of the blind we were playing one of the best overall programs in the country and they did some good things. I love how so many on here can't let things go. The other team wins at times during the game, move on

After the 5th time, a large percentage of the crowd was booing when we had to call a time out.

On that one, Joe Coleman was WIDE OPEN about 5 feet from Welch with good leverage and position for a simple, typical, short lob over the defender. Welch called timeout at count 3. Tubby's fault? Others were similar. Trigger man fails.

Yes I watched the game it wasn't this absolute train wreck. It was on the inbounded no one else get over it and move on. We won the damn game tubby and the team will work on it this week and it will be taken care of. Quit being so damn dramatic...dude

If by "dramatic" you mean "describing the actual atmosphere at the game because I was there rather than sitting on my couch", then I guess I'm being dramatic.

If by "dramatic" you mean "describing the actual atmosphere at the game because I was there rather than sitting on my couch", then I guess I'm being dramatic.

Aren't you fancy thanks for letting me know you were at the game! Who cares? From my couch I watched the guy inbounding the ball fail to see the open man and then panic. My dramatic comment refers to people acting like the world is ending because we had a couple problems inbounding the ball. The other team was pretty good and did some things to make it tough. Sometimes that happens. Tubby will get it situated its not a big deal

Who's being dramatic? There was a stretch where the inbounds were a disaster. Is stating that being dramatic?

Who's being dramatic? There was a stretch where the inbounds were a disaster. Is stating that being dramatic?

See, when we win you aren't allowed to question anything cuz we won and that's all that matters. Even if for a 3 minute stretch it looked like we were going to lose by 20 and the season was going down the toilet.

While I do agree that the Gophers had some issues inbounding against MSU, I think this team this year has been remarkably good at getting easy points off of inbounds plays. It has been 3 or 4 easy buckets per game up to this point. Scouting certainly has something to do with this past game, as Izzo & staff are outstanding.

Nobody's being dramatic buddy.....It was an embarrassing stretch of trying to inbounds the ball. Was the rest of the stadium being dramatic when they cheered when the team was actually able to inbound the ball?

Think not.....Its a nice win, but stop with the duckies and bunnies bs pal. Its ok to point out the weak points of the team.

Aren't you fancy thanks for letting me know you were at the game! Who cares? From my couch I watched the guy inbounding the ball fail to see the open man and then panic. My dramatic comment refers to people acting like the world is ending because we had a couple problems inbounding the ball. The other team was pretty good and did some things to make it tough. Sometimes that happens. Tubby will get it situated its not a big deal

If I am correct, MSU did have a hard time to inbound the ball during the last 5 minutes of the game also. At least in two cases. Those who are calling this a weakness are correct. It is more mental than anything else. Our kids are getting mentally strong because Tubby is also not so hard on them. To fans who boo the players that are playing so well, I tell them go to hell. Our players and coaches will work on this and it won't be an issue just like how they defended the 3's in the second half. This team is for real. They can use more support. If you can't give them, there is always other teams that you can cheer for .

Go Gophers

It was frustrating to watch and the crowd deservedly was angered by the lack of execution on the inbounds plays. I think MSU's length was a huge factor on this when the Gophers were inbounding from under their own basket. Often times throwing a lob towards the elbow works fine but there was so many hands in the passing lanes it was tough. If our biggest complaint is the inbounds plays I am happy but it needs to be addressed because it led to empty possessions and at least 1 lay-up for Sparty.

I can't remember for sure but I think they were playing a zone during that stretch when we couldn't get it in and I think with their length it was just throwing us fits. Correct me if I am wrong. I was kind of disappointed at hearing all of the boo'ing too, lets support these guys in tough times, not get down on them!

After reading this thread it appears that you are the one being overly dramatic. No one else wrote anything that wasn't exactly the way it happened.

Ok. It wasn't quite as bad as 5-6 in a row. But it sure was about 2 minutes of frustration.

12:50 - Inbound play - no problem
12:37 - Inbound play - nearly got a 5 call - passed into Joe who was fouled
12:36 - Inbound play - nearly got a 5 call again - passed long to EE
12:15 - Inbound play - Turnover
11:56 - Inbound play - Turnover
10:21 - Inbound play - Time out called
10:20 - Inbound play - Success!

Wait, some people are trying to say that the inbounds plays were not that bad or aren't concerning? That was three of the most frustrating minutes of basketball I've watched in quite a while... Should be an easy fix, though, once players realize that after one or two "failures", it should just be about getting the ball in.

This has been a problem since the start of the Monson era, I still have nightmares of Kevin Burleson

Top Bottom