Inability of D to get off the field on 3rd down...

Why can't we get off the field on 3rd down? Pretty simple: our defense (as a whole) isn't that good. It's filled with below-average athletes who try very hard, are good tacklers, and appear to be VERY well-coached in regards to scheme and positioning. We play the run tough and have 3 or 4 DT's who can really play (and would probably be in the rotations of most BT teams).

Unfortunately though, as has been noted above, we have zero pass rush off the edge. Every team we play can go 1-1 with their T's vs. our DE's in pass pro...which means G's, C, and RB can focus on the real threats--our DT and the possibility of blitz.

As a result of getting very little pass rush, our LB's oftentimes have to blitz...or at least give the impression of blitzing, which puts us out of position and creates holes in our zone (especially in the flats for easy throws, like hitches, outs, comebacks).

Everyone always complains about the 8-10 yard cushions our DB's give, but trust me, if they played any tighter than that, you have no idea the carnage you'd see with us getting beat over the top. I mean, I hate to say it, but our d-backs are extremely average athletes. I think everyone is playing their guts out (as T.B. would say) and the defense is doing a GREAT job overall, but let's be honest: our best athlete on defense is an OLB whom we often have to use in the rush. Our supposed best DB has been exposed a few times this year and appears to be somewhat soft. The other three guys are below average athletes who, while very sound tacklers, simply don't have the reaction time to act on their reads--no matter how good they might be. They all try very hard and appear to be very "headsy" players who are rarely out of position, but how often do you see them break on a ball and almost pick it...or bat it away at the last second...or "jump" underneath a route?

I agree with a few of the posters on this. The soft zone only works if your team has an elite pass rushing D-line. The Gophers do not. The Gophers need to blitz multiple players on 3rd down and play aggressive man coverage on the outside. The Gophers need to pressure the QB in any way possible, regardless of the potential big play risks.

TP's confidence is fragile and his play erratic. If the Gophers are going to have any chance they need to harass him constantly which should cause him to turn over the ball the way he has all season long.

The Gophers do not have the DL or DB personnel to play soft zones on 3rd down, period.

Top Bottom