In theory, our running backs next season

RememberMurray

Reaction score
Assume Mo opts to return, and assume he and Trey are both healthy. In that scenario, our 2022 backs would be:

Mo Ibrahim
Trey Potts
Bryce Williams
Bucky Irving
Ky Thomas

Wow! What a stable of runners.

You know what that would mean, don't you? That's right: it would mean GopherHolers would be screaming for 40 throws per game!

Assume your assumption is 50% and you'll get a more likely scenario.

If I had to guess, Mo comes back.
Trey unsure.
I'd bet that Mo comes back. However, I'm worried about Trey as to his overall health. We'll learn more after the two signing days coming up I would think.

Does Mo's injury usually result in back to 100%?

Even four, is too many cooks in the kitchen.

With how well T&I have continue to be, if Mo comes back he's #1 fine, but we don't need Williams anymore. If Mo doesn't come back, than Williams would be good to have.

Will go with:

Thomas
Irving
Williams (better pass-pro/blocking)

Assume Mo opts to return, and assume he and Trey are both healthy. In that scenario, our 2022 backs would be:

Mo Ibrahim
Trey Potts
Bryce Williams
Bucky Irving
Ky Thomas

You know what that would mean, don't you? That's right: it would mean GopherHolers would be screaming for 40 throws per game!
If everyone was back it would not surprise me to see Williams transfer out to somewhere that would get him more carries because he would likely be on the outside looking in with that group of players.

If Mo is back it could mean Ky and Bucko have to take a backseat for a year similar to what Mo had to do when both Rodney and Shannon were somewhat healthy.

No matter what happens with the other guys it is comforting to know we will head into next year with 2 really good running backs who should only get better as they get more experience.

Mo Ibrahim
Trey Potts
Bryce Williams
Bucky Irving
Ky Thomas

Besides your hypothetical returning player list which would be outstanding I don’t think anyone has been clamoring to pass on 60% of plays? Even if the Gophers threw 10 more passes per game next year versus 2021 that would only put them mid-pack in the Big Ten. Running a more balanced offense would also preserve tread on the tires of the RBs and arguably make it easier to win standard downs. More desirable would be somewhere in that 25 pass per game area?

Last edited:

If we only had 4 coming into this year, we'd be looking at LeCaptain as RB1 at this point.
You need the pair, spare, air and prayer at RB in this system.

Well, let's be honest with ourselves. If Mo comes back and is healthy, he'll be the bell cow.

I went back and watched highlights of the opener against Ohio State. As good as our other backs have been since Mo went down — and they have been excellent — Mo Ibrahim is clearly in a class by himself.

That being said, I don't have any idea if Mo is coming back, or even if he would be healthy enough to go by the beginning of next season.

Well, let's be honest with ourselves. If Mo comes back and is healthy, he'll be the bell cow.

I went back and watched highlights of the opener against Ohio State. As good as our other backs have been since Mo went down — and they have been excellent — Mo Ibrahim is clearly in a class by himself.

That being said, I don't have any idea if Mo is coming back, or even if he would be healthy enough to go by the beginning of next season.
A healthy Mo with Thomas and Irving in the same backfield would be amazing. Mo could be the lead back but they almost certainly wouldn't ride him quite as much and would mix in the other guys to provide a change of pace.

Anyone know the Williams injury? I don’t remember if it was disclosed.

Anyone know the Williams injury? I don’t remember if it was disclosed.
Looked like a break of some kind when it happened, but I don't know that specifics were ever given.

If Mo comes back at close to 100%, do you attempt to redshirt Irving? Give him a year to bulk up and add some strength.

Obviously there's many variables as a season plays out.

If Mo comes back at close to 100%, do you attempt to redshirt Irving? Give him a year to bulk up and add some strength.

Obviously there's many variables as a season plays out.
I would just have him like normal, and see how the season goes. If he doesn't play in more than 4 games (including post-season games), then defacto he redshirts.

I would just have him like normal, and see how the season goes. If he doesn't play in more than 4 games (including post-season games), then defacto he redshirts.
Exactly, you've always got the 4 games to work with.

It wouldn't be great to burn a redshirt for a couple carries a weekend, for someone who could be an impact player for you in his extra year.

If everyone was back it would not surprise me to see Williams transfer out to somewhere that would get him more carries because he would likely be on the outside looking in with that group of players.

If Mo is back it could mean Ky and Bucko have to take a backseat for a year similar to what Mo had to do when both Rodney and Shannon were somewhat healthy.

No matter what happens with the other guys it is comforting to know we will head into next year with 2 really good running backs who should only get better as they get more experience.
I dont know that both will be okay with taking a year back considering how well they played.

If PJ does what PJ normally does, he’ll keep Mo as the starter even if he is not the same post injury.
So it wouldnt surprise me if one or both transferred out if they know they are the better backs but PJ wont start them due to his loyalty issues

Given the silence on Trey’s injury, and the fact that it was life threatening, I somehow doubt he will be back playing competitive football. Seems to be a high risk scenario.
Could be or couldn't be. All depends on what it was. If it was some freak injury or something that is now fixed or very unlikely to happen again I can see him returning. If there will always be a risk of this happening again, then I can see him retiring.

At this point we have no clue.

Besides your hypothetical returning player list which would be outstanding I don’t think anyone has been clamoring to pass on 60% of plays? Even if the Gophers threw 10 more passes per game next year versus 2021 that would only put them mid-pack in the Big Ten. Running a more balanced offense would also take tread off the tires of the RBs and arguably make it easier to win standard downs. More desirable would be somewhere in that 25 pass per game area?
It would also help if we would ever just for once consider running more plays

I dont know that both will be okay with taking a year back considering how well they played.

If PJ does what PJ normally does, he’ll keep Mo as the starter even if he is not the same post injury.
So it wouldnt surprise me if one or both transferred out if they know they are the better backs but PJ wont start them due to his loyalty issues
You’re delusional. All 3 would split carries next year. This commentary about loyalty is silly and purely rooted in Morgan, who oddly enough looked pretty good last well when we actually mixed up where we were throwing the ball

I would like to see Irving get some reps in the slot next year as a bubble screen and jet sweep threat. I’ve been frustrated by our offense’s inability to take advantage of safeties and LBs cheating towards the box instead of covering the slot WR, and Irving seems to be much more of an open-field threat than our current WRs. Also seems like there’d be a lot of good misdirection and other action that could be built off that look.

Ibrahim has nothing to gain from returning.
If his Achilles tendon heals and he is functional he should train for a NFL try out.
I doubt if Potts ever plays football again.

I would love Mo to come back but the NFL really does look at "tread on the tires" with RBs. He will already have a ton of carries and a ton of production. So I don't think he can do much to improve his stock. They know he's really good and they know he has taken a lot of hits already. So I think he's likely the same player today as he would be next year.

If Mo comes back next season, he will be 24 years old during the year. Dalvin Cook is 26 years old. If he comes back to the U, he really loves it here.

With Potts, it's almost impossible to make a prediction what his future holds.

The general assumption seems to be that Mo has NFL dreams, just as we assume that any player would of course love to play in the NFL.

That seems likely and logical, and yet... I'm not sure that every college player is drooling at the prospect of an NFL career. Plus, Mo plays a position that has been de-valued by the NFL lately.

How does Mo get into the NFL if he isn't fully healed in time for combines/tryouts?

Seems like an awfully big gamble to try and make a team as an UDFA and work your way up if you have the opportunity to prove your health in college. Even Rodney came back for a 6th year and that likely earned him some NFL money because he was able to show he was healthy that last year.

If Mo had been looking like a 1st rounder, there are examples of teams taking gambles on kids who had bad injuries their senior years. But for a kid who was probably a Round 4-6 pick when healthy and coming off an achilles...seems like he has a better chance to earn a guaranteed roster spot with a good year in college.

the track record of RB's coming back from an achilles is not great.

I found an article in a medical journal detailing a study of NFL players with an achilles injury. the study found that 64 to 71% of players were able to return, but 29 to 36% of players never returned to play.

of the players who returned, the average time of return was about 11 months.

Given that Mo had his injury on Sept 2, that would put his return at about August 2. So unless he has a faster-than average recovery, that means he misses the combine and college day workouts.

I can't see him getting drafted without being able to demonstrate that he's healthy.

I would like to see Irving get some reps in the slot next year as a bubble screen and jet sweep threat. I’ve been frustrated by our offense’s inability to take advantage of safeties and LBs cheating towards the box instead of covering the slot WR, and Irving seems to be much more of an open-field threat than our current WRs. Also seems like there’d be a lot of good misdirection and other action that could be built off that look.
Stop! That would mean you scheme to your players strengths. This team at times seems as though it has to smash a square peg through a round hole.

I see Mo trying to make money. I honestly hope he does. Another serious injury in college could prevent him from making any NFL money.

I have a feeling that Trey is done with college football. Idk if we will ever know the details but it seems serious.

As for the rest I expect at least one to hit the transfer portal. Just seems to be the new age.

Top Bottom