In the I never saw that coming category......

Excluding FCS games:

Rutgers scoring defense national rank by year

2013 - 91st
Joined big ten

2014 - 85th
2015 - 107th
2016 - 118th
2017 - 86th
2018 - 84th
2019 - 120th

Robb smith
2020 - 81s
2021 - 52nd

not saying he didn’t deserve to get fired but he did just lead them to their best two years on defense in their big ten era. Including this year being clearly the best:
I’m sure he deserved to get fired but other than getting fired not sure how you can rag on him too bad for this

It's his track record. This is the FIRST TIME he has improved a defense as a return DC. Maine, Arkansas and Minnesota got worse each and every year!!!!
Excluding FCS games:

2013 - 91st
Joined big ten

2014 - 85th
2015 - 107th
2016 - 118th
2017 - 86th
2018 - 84th
2019 - 120th

Robb smith
2020 - 81s
2021 - 52nd

not saying he didn’t deserve to get fired but he did just lead them to their best two years on defense in their big ten era. Including this year being clearly the best:
I’m sure he deserved to get fired but other than getting fired not sure how you can rag on him too bad for this
It's his track record. This is the FIRST TIME he has improved a defense as a return DC. Maine, Arkansas and Minnesota got worse each and every year he was the DC!!!!

In some organizations is it possible some can keep a job not because they are the best or even particularly competent at their jobs but because they know where the bodies are buried, so to speak.

It's his track record. This is the FIRST TIME he has improved a defense as a return DC. Maine, Arkansas and Minnesota got worse each and every year!!!!

It's his track record. This is the FIRST TIME he has improved a defense as a return DC. Maine, Arkansas and Minnesota got worse each and every year he was the DC!!!!
GrEAt point.. glad ya made it twice

that might be true but I’m not going to negatively judge his Rutgers defense because of something that happened 10 years ago at Arkansas

And apparently winds up at Duke as the DC. The Peter Principle remains undefeated.
I'm assuming he'll fail here as well. When he does, he might be thinking about finding a different line of work or a different role in football.

Excluding FCS games:

2013 - 91st
Joined big ten

2014 - 85th
2015 - 107th
2016 - 118th
2017 - 86th
2018 - 84th
2019 - 120th

Robb smith
2020 - 81s
2021 - 52nd

He was also coaching under Greg Schiano, who is supposed to be one of the best defensive minds in the country at any level of football, so it's not surprising that Rutgers defense would improve.

He was also coaching under Greg Schiano, who is supposed to be one of the best defensive minds in the country at any level of football, so it's not surprising that Rutgers defense would improve.
I didn’t realize

that might be true but I’m not going to negatively judge his Rutgers defense because of something that happened … at Arkansas
Why not? The NCAA does it all the time, and with penalties.

In coaching, it's not the Peter Principle, it's the Buddy System. As in, my buddy needs a job, so I'm going to hire him, or recommend him to another buddy.

it's the biggest freakin' game of musical chairs ever invented. and you have to be really freakin' bad to be left without a chair when the music stops playing.

Top Bottom