In support of a Claeys extension thread

We get out coached in the last half because our players aren't conditioned to play 4 quarters. And that responsibility falls directly on Klein. Get a new S and C director. Just about guarantee improved performance.
Or because the QB threw 4 second half interceptions.

Mason had the offense clicking for the most part, and his defense stunk. Blowing a sizable lead in the second half of a bowl game is what got him him fired.

With Claeys, it is the opposite. It will be the offense that may lead to his demise as a head coach if he and JJ do not improve it. Some of the blame rests on the coaches for their play calling and adjustments in the second half. It is like they are not doing a good job adjusting for instance to the Badger's jet sweeps.

I too would like to see a more athletic QB whether it be Seth Green, Demry Croft, Mark Williams or the JC QB everyone is talking about.

We are a couple of game changers away from eking out a couple more wins. A Maxx Williams type of guy at TE, we need for a couple of wideouts to shine or a new recruit who will a true 4-star caliber player, continue to recruit JC & HS linemen (both offense & defense). Jay should settle down and put together an offense that plays to the strength of his QBs like what Paul Chryst does.

I don't think we are that far away.

The key point is Claeys and company must show that they can recruit effectively.

He gets his chance for a year or two.

Claeys should and will get an extension IMHO.

While I agree with much of what you said, I cannot agree with this. Mason had two teams (1999 & 2003) that had 9 regular season victories and ended the season ranked. Mason's teams also beat wisconsin twice (2001 & 2003) and beat a #2 Penn State and a # 5 Ohio State and a dubuously ranked #11 Purdue.

I don't think anyone would argue that Kill/Claeys is a huge step up from Brewster. Nobody thought that Mason was the best coach in the world, but the Kll/Claeys coaching era is a notch below what we experienced under Mason (which was deemed inadaquate).

I'd like to keep Claeys another year (unless Coyle has some BIG name up his sleeve) to see if the team is trending upward or downward. Meager extension with low buyout is the way to go IMO.

Mason won 8 regular season games games ONCE and 9 regular season games ONCE in his entire tenure. Kill won 8 regular season games twice in 4 years. Those are the facts. Unfortunate Kill had to step down but he did more in his first 4 years than Mason. He had as many 8 regular win seasons in 4 years as Mason had in 10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he gets an extension, it should be written in his contract that he goes to a clock management class. Amazing how so many coaches don't have a clue when it comes to managing the clock.

My only disagreement is that Les Miles is a pipe dream. Where do you think he is going to go, Oregon? Ha! Minnesota is actually the BEST landing spot he could hope for right now if he wants a Power 5 coaching job in 2017. Ya'll need to stop with the "who'd possibly want to stoop so low as to coach at our shabby institute" mentality.

Also, say... by some miracle Coyle finds enough money to pay Strong (who gets a significant reduction in his $10mil buyout if he takes a job right away) or Miles to come here- They'd probably taste success right away with Claey's players, and jump ship for much greener pastures in the next year or 2. I want a guy that will stay here and build something.

I'm not saying a coach would stoop low to come here. It's more financial. There's evidence with some recent basketball hires that they're willing to pay decent money to get a coach here. But it hasn't happened on the football side yet. But I do stand by the part about how if there were a miracle worker with the football program- that if a job at Miami or Georgia or UCLA comes up, he's gone no matter how much we'd throw at him to stay. That's a cold hard fact.

A lot of great points for and against Claeys to stay.

I just hope Coyle makes up his mind one way or another quickly. Either extend Claeys or fire him now.

If he gets an extension, it should be written in his contract that he goes to a clock management class. Amazing how so many coaches don't have a clue when it comes to managing the clock.

I know! I said this in a thread earlier this year, but CFB coaches should hire a college kid who plays Madden all the time just to manage the clock for them. Turn on his headset the last 2 min of each half and that's it.

BTW, I'm pro extending Claeys. Dude can coach football. My biggest worry is recruiting. But then I remember that Claeys, Sawvel, and Sherels recruited our defense the past 5 years. With Claeys now getting a look at offensive recruits as well, I believe things will improve. I have no idea what Johnson and Miller bring as far as recruiting goes. Fingers crossed...

I'm all for an extension, remember, we are in year one of a change on offense. I really think that we have a lot of potential if we can get the right quarterback. I saw progress on the O-line this year even with sophomores making up the left side and center. On defense I saw them get better as the season went on. Sawvel has showed an ability to reload in the secondary, with the potential in the front seven, I like our defense going forward.

Extend him. Our program is in a much better spot than it was. We were 3-4 plays from being 11-0 going into the badger game. Let's see him with a new QB and keep the defense. I really like our defense.

I believe he should be extended, continue to build defense and hope offense can figure it out.

Well said. Claeys had a chance and he failed to capitalize. I could argue Sawvel has done better as a DC and Johnson worse as an OC. Our points per game increase are due to turnovers, short fields, weaker competition, and better kicking. Look, people have to remember WHY Claeys was hired in the first place! Claeys brought in Jay Johnson and he got his ass handed to him in the 2nd half of every single loss and even some wins! You can't put that on Leidner. That's on Claeys, he made the hire! He knew he had 1 year to show what he could do and he didn't show sh^t. There are a boatload of coaches who could have gone 8-4 with this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't agree with most of your post. Claeys deserves an extension. As stated on another thread, the buyout is actually $3M as whole staff have guarantees for 2017.

Low Energy TC. Not a HC. Good technician, but the difference makers are the master motivators.
Does any sane person see him as that? Jerry filled that role.

Just like Bud Grant and Tony Dungy, huh?

Just like Bud Grant and Tony Dungy, huh?

Pro coaches do not have to sell their program to recruits, they just draft who they want. That is a big reason some great college coaches don't translate to NFL, main skill set is worthless.

Maybe low key guys can recruit in college (Snyder? Kstate, Patterson, TCU) but I haven't seen any signs yet that Claeys has that ability. I don't think you need to extend him. You keep him under contract on the existing contract if you want to keep him and make him prove he can do it next year. Giving him an extension (that can be bought out) doesn't solidify his being the coach for the next 4 years. Winning more next year solidifies his job for the next 4 years regardless of whether you extend him and recruits can see that the same way. Losing more next year with or without an extension has him gone too, just changes the price tag.

as far as in game adjustments are concerned, what coordinator stops Mitch from throwing those picks in the 2nd half yesterday? Or the horrid pick at the end of the Nebraska game?

A coach willing to make the hard decision after the 2nd interception that his 5th yr QB has lost it for this game and the rest of the team will check out if he doesn't bench the QB. No other player on that team would be allowed to make that many big mistakes without riding the pine. Not benching Mitch sends the message to the team that all the talk about accountability and picking each other up is just lip service because the team isn't the team without Mitch at QB, and there is no faith that any back ups could possibly come in and do better. Even captains deserve to get benched when under performing.

Pro coaches do not have to sell their program to recruits, they just draft who they want. That is a big reason some great college coaches don't translate to NFL, main skill set is worthless.

Maybe low key guys can recruit in college (Snyder? Kstate, Patterson, TCU) but I haven't seen any signs yet that Claeys has that ability. I don't think you need to extend him. You keep him under contract on the existing contract if you want to keep him and make him prove he can do it next year. Giving him an extension (that can be bought out) doesn't solidify his being the coach for the next 4 years. Winning more next year solidifies his job for the next 4 years regardless of whether you extend him and recruits can see that the same way. Losing more next year with or without an extension has him gone too, just changes the price tag.

I see. Think you completely missed my point.

A coach willing to make the hard decision after the 2nd interception that his 5th yr QB has lost it for this game and the rest of the team will check out if he doesn't bench the QB. No other player on that team would be allowed to make that many big mistakes without riding the pine. Not benching Mitch sends the message to the team that all the talk about accountability and picking each other up is just lip service because the team isn't the team without Mitch at QB, and there is no faith that any back ups could possibly come in and do better. Even captains deserve to get benched when under performing.

It was mitch's to win or lose. he lost. The ship sailed on benching Mitch a loooooooooooooooooooong time ago and those guys are all gone. Yeah, the O coaches messed up on the lakeville kid. it's over.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom