In State Recruits

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Here is the ranking of top in state recruit each team got.
OSU = #1-3
Penn State = #4 (#1 to MSU)
MSU = #1
Mich = #3
Wis. = #2 (#1 to MSU)
Neb. = #1
Ind. = #4 (#1 to Notre Dame)
MN = #1
Rutger = #16 (#1 to Michigan)
Iowa = #3 (#1 to ISU)
NW = #7
Mary = #2 and possibly #1
Illinois = #20 (#1 to LSU)
Purdue = #15

i'd be more interested to see where about the top 3 went in every state. but i'm too lazy to do the leg work.

Wow, Illinois and Purdue really jump out as having the most opportunity for improvement.

Alabama took the #1 OL from both MN and IA.

Wow, Illinois and Purdue really jump out as having the most opportunity for improvement.

They are in tough situations. Illinois will probably never get any or all of the "Top 3" instaters on a regular basis, because the state is so heavily recruited, unless something changes dramatically, soon. Same for Purdue as they lose enough of the in-state talent to Notre Dame on a regular basis. Also, for Purdue, having 3 FBS programs (including themselves) in your state doesn't help you, either.

Beckman and the Illinois football program get the crap beat out of them by the Chicago media, and this won't help. Chicago is where virtually all the talent is in the state and it gets swallowed up by Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan, MSU and OSU. The Illini get the leftover scraps.

Because I'm bored. Here's where the top five recruits from the Big Ten states landed. Per 247.

New Jersey: Michigan (2), Notre Dame, Penn State, Ohio State
Maryland: Maryland (2), Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida State
Pennsylvania: West Virginia, Pitt, Michigan State, Penn State, Virginia Tech
Ohio: Ohio State (5)
Michigan: Michigan State (2), Michigan (2), Ohio State
Indiana: Notre Dame, UCLA, Ohio State, Indiana, Missouri
Illinois: LSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Tennessee, Northwestern
Iowa: Alabama, Iowa State, Iowa (3)
Wisconsin: Wisconsin (4), Michigan State
Minnesota: Minnesota (2), Alabama, Arkansas, NDSU
Nebraska: Nebraska (3), Stanford (1), NDSU

So 40 of the 55 will be playing in the Big Ten or at Notre Dame. (72%)
29 will be staying in their home state. (53%)
2 of the 5 poached by the SEC are from Minnesota.

Because I'm bored. Here's where the top five recruits from the Big Ten states landed. Per 247.

New Jersey: Michigan (2), Notre Dame, Penn State, Ohio State
Maryland: Maryland (2), Notre Dame, Michigan, Florida State
Pennsylvania: West Virginia, Pitt, Michigan State, Penn State, Virginia Tech
Ohio: Ohio State (5)
Michigan: Michigan State (2), Michigan (2), Ohio State
Indiana: Notre Dame, UCLA, Ohio State, Indiana, Missouri
Illinois: LSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Tennessee, Northwestern
Iowa: Alabama, Iowa State, Iowa (3)
Wisconsin: Wisconsin (4), Michigan State
Minnesota: Minnesota (2), Alabama, Arkansas, NDSU
Nebraska: Nebraska (3), Stanford (1), NDSU

So 40 of the 55 will be playing in the Big Ten or at Notre Dame. (72%)
29 will be staying in their home state. (53%)
2 of the 5 poached by the SEC are from Minnesota.

I'd love to know how that 72% figure matches up with the other conferences.

I'd love to know how that 72% figure matches up with the other conferences.

If forced to guess, I'd say less than the PAC-12 which kind of has a monopoly on the top players out west, about equal with the SEC, and more than the Big 12 or ACC who overlap with the SEC.

It's a rough way to compare regions, though. The fifth best player in California is not comparable to the fifth best player in Utah, just as the fifth best player from Ohio or PA is not comparable with the fifth best from Nebraska. A better study would look at the top 50 players from each conferences footprint, irregardless of state lines.

If forced to guess, I'd say less than the PAC-12 which kind of has a monopoly on the top players out west, about equal with the SEC, and more than the Big 12 or ACC who overlap with the SEC.

It's a rough way to compare regions, though. The fifth best player in California is not comparable to the fifth best player in Utah, just as the fifth best player from Ohio or PA is not comparable with the fifth best from Nebraska. A better study would look at the top 50 players from each conferences footprint, irregardless of state lines.

If you start right now you can probably stay ahead of the pack on this.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom