In over 300,000 games…

UpAndUnder43

Reaction score
Across NBA, WNBA, D1 men’s and D1 women’s the past 25 seasons only ONE TIME has a team has scored 95+, shot 70% or better from 3 and recorded 5 or less turnovers. It was the Gophers last night. And they lost.

It‘s been in the high 70s and 80s the majority of the year.

I did not like their defense last night at all. Made no adjustments until late when they finally put Garcia on Domsack for a possession.

They had to make an adjustment. You can't try to outscore IL. Probably meant Ola Joseph to come in and play Domsack. Would have hurt bringing Mitchell out offensively, but had to try and make it more of a grind.

With Johnson bringing in Thorson, thought they would be more of a defensive team

I did not like their defense last night at all. Made no adjustments until late when they finally put Garcia on Domsack for a possession.

They had to make an adjustment. You can't try to outscore IL. Probably meant Ola Joseph to come in and play Domsack. Would have hurt bringing Mitchell out offensively, but had to try and make it more of a grind.

With Johnson bringing in Thorson, thought they would be more of a defensive team
Ola-Joseph is not a defensive solution. A big part of why he isn't playing much is because he has been so bad on the defensive end.

Domask and Shannon are both 6'6". That is a brutal matchup for most teams but especially us with our general lack of size in our main guards. Garcia did ok on Domask the handful of times he guarded him but he would have had a really hard time staying with him all game and probably would have gotten into foul trouble.

Both teams shot the ball ridiculously well last night. Not sure what defense would have been able to stop either squad the way they were lighting it up.

I think Illinois had the #45 defense before yesterday's game
Yep, and until January they had a top 20 defense.

Give Minnesota credit. I didn’t think Illinois played horrible defense. Minnesota made some big time contested shots.

Minnesota is very talented. I’m sure happy Illinois doesn’t play at Minnesota.

Yep, and until January they had a top 20 defense.

Give Minnesota credit. I didn’t think Illinois played horrible defense. Minnesota made some big time contested shots.

Minnesota is very talented. I’m sure happy Illinois doesn’t play at Minnesota.
Big Ten tournament is in Minnesota.....just sayin.....:)

Was a heck of a game last night, neither team could miss.

Had we not fallen asleep on defense and allowed so much wide open on the backside and not fouled as much maybe it would have been different?

They tried playing strait up man, didn’t work. They tried doubling, didn’t work. They tried a zone, didn’t work. They made adjustments they just didn’t work. This team has had games were they defended well, this was one.

With Johnson bringing in Thorson, thought they would be more of a defensive te

They tried playing strait up man, didn’t work. They tried doubling, didn’t work. They tried a zone, didn’t work. They made adjustments they just didn’t work. This team has had games were they defended well, this was one.
With some of the comments on here, it makes me wonder if people actually watch the games

The doubling was pretty weak though. They weren't coming in very hard with the double and allowed the guy with the ball to make easy passes to the open man. If you're going to double, that second guy has to come in hard so the only option is for them to pass to the closest guy and then you can recover.

I didn't see much of the first half. But they did not play zone in the second. IL basically ran in the same play over and over. Give it to Domsack, pick to the left to get a switch, and let him go to work. He just over powered them. Run 1 -3-1. 2-3 zone. 3-2 zone. Play Ola Joseph. Something.

The doubling was pretty weak though. They weren't coming in very hard with the double and allowed the guy with the ball to make easy passes to the open man. If you're going to double, that second guy has to come in hard so the only option is for them to pass to the closest guy and then you can recover.

If I knew nothing about either of these teams prior to last night, my opinion after watching the game would be the same as it is now. Illinois clearly had superior personnel on a number of critical dimensions including depth. Given that, I thought the Gophers gave it a pretty good effort.

After about 10 games this season, I concluded that this team's "depth" is only depth against lesser teams. We simply didn't have the quality and quantity of horses to keep up with Illinois for the entire game. That deficit has been exacerbated by JOJ's disappearance in the latter part of the season and Ihnen's failure to merit regular minutes by the middle of the season.

Even more lopsided. #3 offense, #94 defense. 13 overall
That's so curious and unexpected, as Underwood's teams have typically emphasized defense and have been good at it. On the studio postgame show, they talked about how he/they seem to be content with outscoring their opponents. That seems to be a formula that might blow up in their face in the postseason. Time will tell, I guess.

The Gopher Men and Women combined allowed 213 points on Wednesday. (Men 105, Women 108)

I wonder if that is some kind of record for most points allowed on the same day by men's and women's teams from the same school.
Combined, 2 points worse than the NBA West All Stars.

Top Bottom