Impressive (Hoff)

The next five games feature Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State twice, along with Indiana. We'll know more about Hoffarber after this stretch. If we can go 3-2 during that time, 2 of the 5 at Williams, it'll likely be due to Hoffarber continuing his wicked shooting streak. If we go 3 and 2 lead by Hoffarber's play, I will apologize for questioning whether or not he was anymore than an 11-13th player on a Big Ten team.
"We'll know more about Hoffarber after this stretch." We know plenty about Hoffarber now, it's not like he hasn't seen major minutes every year in his career thus far as a Gopher.

I don't care if we go 0-5 in the next 5 games, his play over the past few years, especially this year, should be more than enough for people not to question if he's "more than a 12th man on a Big 10 team."

That statement in itself is a joke.

"We'll know more about Hoffarber after this stretch." We know plenty about Hoffarber now, it's not like hasn't seen major minutes every year in his career thus far as a Gopher.

I don't care if we go 0-5 in the next 5 games, his play over the past few years, especially this year, should be more than enough for people not to question if he's "more than a 12th man on a Big 10 team."

That statement in itself is a joke.

Last year he shot 41% from the field, 34% from 3PT, and averaged 6pts, hardly a resume of someone considered a proven player. He's hot and deserves to start and get 25+minutes this year. Yes he does all of the little things, but his value is diminished when he's cold because he can't put the ball on the floor to get to the basket and he's not going to shut-down opposing wings and 2's.

I stated that I questioned whether he was a top 10 rotation player in the Big Ten last year. The definition of such a player in my view on Coach Smith's team is someone who logs 17-28 mins per game. I'm optimistic that last year's slump was an aberration, but think the jury is still out until he produces against MSU, Purdue, or OSU.

You think Coach Smith will press the Boilermakers like they did against Iowa today?

It will be interesting. I haven't seen a lot of the consistent hammer full court press we saw a few times a year ago and I'm wondering when he will implement that. It proved difficult for a lot of teams to beat, but I think if Tubby applies it at the right time it can catch teams off guard and force turnovers or time outs. I think it will come out at some point though.

Top Bottom