I'm no expert, but is this a good thing?...

I'm not sure every choice needs to be "good" or "bad" outside the folks who really want to spin it that way to push whatever other opinions they have.... god knows that will happen starting ... now.

As for gameday it's not going to make a difference, the number of cops were few, and I didn't see them active very often, different cops aren't likely to do much differently as far as gameday goes.

As far as football goes, this really doesn't matter.

Last edited:

It’s a really easy statement to make that could be walked back in a less contentious moment if it really needed to be.

It seems like a nonsensical, emotional statement that is going to need to be walked back at some point out of necessity.

Yes, this was a tragedy. No, it does not mean we do not need a police force near campus that extends beyond the university's.

I and a small group of others got assaulted, randomly, by a crazy man with a knife just off campus (near my apartment) back in the days. The police were right there when I needed them, helped me and my friends, and detained the threatening individual. We don't need the Mpls police giving the middle finger to our great university and just staying away altogether.

There are more “good cops” percentage-wise than there are “good people” in society. We need to look inward and be less judgmental.

They have a thankless job exacerbated by the media’s love of the ever-present feral part of society.

This guy didn’t deserve to die the way he did. A reactionary blanket policy will only cause the 80% of society to be at the mercy of the predatory 20%.

Other police forces will step up. The game day force I believe is voluntary.

There are more “good cops” percentage-wise than there are “good people” in society. We need to look inward and be less judgmental.

They have a thankless job exacerbated by the media’s love of the ever-present feral part of society.

This guy didn’t deserve to die the way he did. A reactionary blanket policy will only cause the 80% of society to be at the mercy of the predatory 20%.

Other police forces will step up. The game day force I believe is voluntary.

The cops I have talked to are not so eager to step up. The U decision was poorly timed and in the end will prove to be a disaster. With the current political situation in Minneapolis, the cops there are in a very difficult position. We all saw the video. Its one cop, 3 cops not willing to intervene with their supervisor that do not represent the entire department so indicting the whole force and cutting ties is shameful. Why the U is falling in line with the Mayor is shameful too.

This isn't the first time this request has been made.

Should also be noted, they're only hired for additional security. University already has their own police force. They'll most likely contract with other cities police forces for gameday needs, which is usually crowd/traffic control and patrolling for underage drinking

We'll still be safe at gopher games.

The cops I have talked to are not so eager to step up. The U decision was poorly timed and in the end will prove to be a disaster. With the current political situation in Minneapolis, the cops there are in a very difficult position. We all saw the video. Its one cop, 3 cops not willing to intervene with their supervisor that do not represent the entire department so indicting the whole force and cutting ties is shameful. Why the U is falling in line with the Mayor is shameful too.

I doubt it'll have any noticeable affect on game day safety

MPLS Police just lost a bunch of over-time hours for their union. This will be impactful and other agencies will likely jump at the new opportunity.

I heard the University was considering hiring Hell's Angels to be security at the stadium, but Keith Richards talked them out of it.

African American athletes pay some attention (I don't know how much) to events that caused the death of an African American man. The University responded correctly IMO. If you don't agree, review the football roster.

I heard the University was considering hiring Hell's Angels to be security at the stadium, but Keith Richards talked them out of it.
I always consult with Keith Richards and Ja Rule before making any important decisions.

It isn't typically too hard to find police officers looking to make extra money with these types of side jobs, so I'd be surprised if they have too much trouble staffing football games, concerts, etc. There are a lot of officers from smaller departments who don't make a lot of money and need the extra income.

I agree that the political situation in Minneapolis makes the job of police officers jobs difficult, but you can't ignore that the actions of the police over the years have contributed to that environment. And I don't think it is fair to evaluate the University's decision by dismissing this as one event where it was "one cop, 3 cops not willing to intervene with their supervisor" like this decision was made in a vacuum and based solely on this one event. There is a long pattern of the MPD failing in its mission and culminating in this incident where three officers stood by while that superior officer killed a handcuffed man, slowly over several minutes. I expect that at some point we will see their written reports of the incident. What do you suppose that those reports say? Why do police reports so often say what the officers know they are supposed to say versus what actually happened?

There are definitely other law enforcement options close for larger campus events like StP police, Roseville Police, county sheriff depts.

B.S. The Minneapolis Police Department has a nation-wide reputation for being rogues and beyond the control of anyone.. This action by our new prez is long over due. It's going to hurt the Mpls cops far more than it's going to hurt the U.

I can guarantee people would have a problem if the U didn't do anything and black student-athletes transferred out because they felt unsafe.

Realistically this does not change anything in terms of safety but it sends the message that the U values their students and won't work with a department where 3 officers let one of their coworkers do this without stepping in and doing the right thing when they can just as easily work with other departments.

There is a problem with policing in this country. Anytime police are involved, there is a chance that they unnecessarily escalate the situation and someone is hurt/killed. If we had more accountability for police, I would be more comfortable with their presence.

I can guarantee people would have a problem if the U didn't do anything and black student-athletes transferred out because they felt unsafe.

Realistically this does not change anything in terms of safety but it sends the message that the U values their students and won't work with a department where 3 officers let one of their coworkers do this without stepping in and doing the right thing when they can just as easily work with other departments.
When the people who witness police-wrongdoing step up, change happens.

If Marty Balin was still alive he would have beat Keith to the punch.

In this situation and with what is going on, this is not even funny. Things are crazy.

Top Bottom