I'm more convinced after today than any win this season

Reaction score
That this is a special team that will go far in March. After that first half we completely outplayed Indiana in the second half. WE SOMEHOW FOUGHT OUR WAY BACK AND HAD A CHANCE TO TIE IF WE SECURE A REBOUND.

That this is a special team that will go far in March. After that first half we completely outplayed Indiana in the second half. WE SOMEHOW FOUGHT OUR WAY BACK AND HAD A CHANCE TO TIE IF WE SECURE A REBOUND.
Yes! Rough crowd, rough opposing coach, a Hoosier team out for blood...we came so close after a huge deficit. SO proud of this team.

Trevor was fouled on that rebound but the refs didn't have the nads to call it.

March is still a long way away.

Refs didn't make lots of calls against Indiana. The court was slanted all game. Charges at one end were blocks at the other...5 or 6 turnovers that were hacks no called. Only one foul on Indiana rebounds...when Zeller was pushing off all game under the basket. Wasn't the reason we lost...but turn some of those calls around and I think this game is a lot closer than it was...and it was close anyways.

This team is special. If the second half had been mailed in, I would be questioning if they are legit. If they had got it down to 15 at the end I'd be saying it is a hollow moral victory. By fighting their way back to a one possession game within a minute left, I think they served notice it is going to take a hell of a game to beat them, by ANY team.

Lots of "what ifs" with the biggest being "What if Indiana hadn't played unconscious in the first half?"

I am in total agreement! This game reminds me of a tough loss the Gophers had against Michigan during the 1989-90 season. The Wolverines were the defending national champs but the Gophers fought them tooth and nail and you came out feeling like we had won the game. That team came within a missed three of going to the final four. The Big 10 is the best I have ever seen it. This team is talented, tough and will go far! Go Gophers!

Gophs played well in the 2nd half. I usually do not believe in moral victories and believe a loss is a loss, but if I were to believe in them, this would be the game. Good comeback, I was impressed.

Dido, we just have to control these big runs that they give up. Love the effort, determination, it's those extra plays ( i.e. missed layup and putback slam attempt of steal, Mbakwe not getting that last rebound)

We'll get there. Very promising game.

Oh, and could those referees be more one sided btw?? :mad:

Now both teams know what each other will be bringing to the table come Feb. 26 at the Barn. That game could be a fun rematch.

I don't believe in moral victories...and I don't think this was one. We played +15 in the second half, on the road against the #5 team in the country...and they weren't playing no scrubs. If IU is anything but stellar in the first half shooting 3s and we get a couple of calls going our way...we win this game...even after being down 23 at half. Freaking awesome the way this team fights to the bitter end...we will be rewarded in March when the refs don't all have the last name of Zeller and we have just as many fans at the game as our opponent.

Of the ~15-20 awful calls in the second half, that was not one of them. Trevor didn't keep his body in front of Zeller and that sealed the deal.

That one was clean. Trevor had the ball in his hands, unfortunately just couldn't secure it.

The referees just called an awful 2nd half though..

Don't worry, when we are at home against Michigan the calls will be going OUR WAY!

That one was clean. Trevor had the ball in his hands, unfortunately just couldn't secure it.

The referees just called an awful 2nd half though..

Don't worry, when we are at home against Michigan the calls will be going OUR WAY!

What evidence have you seen over the past XX number of years that the Gophers will get the same kind of ridiculous calls in a big game that IU had this game? Can you think of even one example? We're not talking about getting some bogus calls in non-competitive against NDSU or Toledo or St. Sisters of the Poor; I mean when's the last time the Gophers had that kind of advantage from the stripes in a game against a ranked team; or in any Big Ten game for that matter?

I totally agree. I am completely happy with this loss. I don't think there's a team in the country that would want to play us on a neutral court right now. This is awesome...

Agreed, the Gophers have no reason to feel bad about losing this game, but they will. That's why I love this team.

I don't believe in moral victories...and I don't think this was one. We played +15 in the second half, on the road against the #5 team in the country...and they weren't playing no scrubs. If IU is anything but stellar in the first half shooting 3s and we get a couple of calls going our way...we win this game...even after being down 23 at half. Freaking awesome the way this team fights to the bitter end...we will be rewarded in March when the refs don't all have the last name of Zeller and we have just as many fans at the game as our opponent.

Then you don't have a clue about playing on the road in he Big Ten.

This was as close to a moral victory as you can get imo. We gained some things from this game. You gain nothing positive from losing by 23.

The Gophers played an incredible game today, I thought. Indiana was ridiculous for shooting in the first half, even with some hands in their faces they were draining 3s. Our rebounding was subpar, and that was in large part due to Zeller outplaying Mbakwe (or simply outsizing him). The refs made 3 terrible blocking foul calls that were charges. Ingram was standing in the way of an Indiana player for what seemed like an hour.We dominated the second half, and our guards showed what we've got If the refs gave us a few calls that game could have been ours. We're going to compete in the B1G and this game was close at the end, if Mbakwe would've grabbed that board, who knows what could've happened regardless of those calls.

This game prepared us IMMENSELY for the Big Ten Tournament, and more importantly NCAA tournament down he road. Blessing in disguise.

Wish Trevor would have rebounded that 2nd missed ft with 20 seconds left and only down 3. That just stung.

I was at the game, and it was pretty entertaining when some of the IU fans around me started complaining towards the end of the game. The guy next to me said the refs were letting Minnesota "mug" them.

I was at the game, and it was pretty entertaining when some of the IU fans around me started complaining towards the end of the game. The guy next to me said the refs were letting Minnesota "mug" them.

Just like other teams that wear Red (think Wisconsin, OSU, etc.), for whatever reason the fans feel it's their god-given right to have every call go their way, and the refs agree.

VERY PROUD of the effort! Just hope this team can come to the point of not digging such a deep hole. Especially against a great IU team.

Top Bottom