I'm done with Izzo

go 31

Reaction score
How can a future hall of fame coach have 4 transfers in less than 1 year? Tom Herzog in 5/2010; Chris Allen; Korie Lucious and now Garrick Sherman.

How can a future hall of fame coach have 4 transfers in less than 1 year? Tom Herzog in 5/2010; Chris Allen; Korie Lucious and now Garrick Sherman.

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
1995–1996 Michigan State 16–16 9–9 7th NIT 2nd Round
1996–1997 Michigan State 17–12 9–9 T–6th NIT 2nd Round
1997–1998 Michigan State 22–8 13–3 T–1st NCAA Sweet 16
1998–1999 Michigan State 33–5 15–1 1st NCAA Final Four
1999–2000 Michigan State 32–7 13–3 T–1st NCAA Champions
2000–2001 Michigan State 28–5 13–3 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2001–2002 Michigan State 19–12 10–6 5th NCAA 1st Round
2002–2003 Michigan State 22–13 10–6 T–3rd NCAA Elite Eight
2003–2004 Michigan State 18–12 12–4 T–2nd NCAA 1st Round
2004–2005 Michigan State 26–7 13–3 2nd NCAA Final Four
2005–2006 Michigan State 22–12 8–8 T–6th NCAA 1st Round
2006–2007 Michigan State 23–12 8–8 T–7th NCAA 2nd Round
2007–2008 Michigan State 27–9 12–6 4th NCAA Sweet 16
2008–2009 Michigan State 31–7 15–3 1st NCAA Runner-Up
2009–2010 Michigan State 28–9 14–4 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2010–2011 Michigan State 19–15 9–9 T-4th NCAA 1st Round

Further proof

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
1995–1996 Michigan State 16–16 9–9 7th NIT 2nd Round
1996–1997 Michigan State 17–12 9–9 T–6th NIT 2nd Round
1997–1998 Michigan State 22–8 13–3 T–1st NCAA Sweet 16
1998–1999 Michigan State 33–5 15–1 1st NCAA Final Four
1999–2000 Michigan State 32–7 13–3 T–1st NCAA Champions
2000–2001 Michigan State 28–5 13–3 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2001–2002 Michigan State 19–12 10–6 5th NCAA 1st Round
2002–2003 Michigan State 22–13 10–6 T–3rd NCAA Elite Eight
2003–2004 Michigan State 18–12 12–4 T–2nd NCAA 1st Round
2004–2005 Michigan State 26–7 13–3 2nd NCAA Final Four
2005–2006 Michigan State 22–12 8–8 T–6th NCAA 1st Round
2006–2007 Michigan State 23–12 8–8 T–7th NCAA 2nd Round
2007–2008 Michigan State 27–9 12–6 4th NCAA Sweet 16
2008–2009 Michigan State 31–7 15–3 1st NCAA Runner-Up
2009–2010 Michigan State 28–9 14–4 T–1st NCAA Final Four
2010–2011 Michigan State 19–15 9–9 T-4th NCAA 1st Round

Further proof!

No National Championship since 2000. He is done.

Perhaps he should get some new assistants.

ridiculous

You have to be kidding me. The dude has 6 Final Fours and 1 Championship in 13 years. Every four year player he has had has been to a Final Four. This year is the first time he's missed the tournament in his career. Many good coaches are very lucky if they win more than one championship in their career. Rick Pitino only has one, John Calipari has zero, Ben Howland has zero, and Tubby's championship was a fluke. With the exception of Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, and Billy Donovan, there are very few, if any, active coaches with multiple championships. Izzo is still easily one of the best coaches in the country hands down.

You have to be kidding me. The dude has 6 Final Fours and 1 Championship in 13 years. Every four year player he has had has been to a Final Four. This year is the first time he's missed the tournament in his career. Many good coaches are very lucky if they win more than one championship in their career. Rick Pitino only has one, John Calipari has zero, Ben Howland has zero, and Tubby's championship was a fluke. With the exception of Krzyzewski, Roy Williams, Jim Calhoun, and Billy Donovan, there are very few, if any, active coaches with multiple championships. Izzo is still easily one of the best coaches in the country hands down.

It's sarcasm, this is supposed to be a joke.

That said, what statement is this based off of? I remember the "Awkward win over ______ proves ______", but I don't believe I recall this.

gg5

Yes, you are being kidded. :)

If required, Google sarcasm and parody.

This year is the first time he's missed the tournament in his career.

For the record, Izzo did not miss the tourney this year. He made it. Lost in the first round to UCLA. However, he missed the NCAA in each of his first two years as a head coach. He's now at 14 NCAAs in a row.

Successful programs don't have four players transfer in 12 months.

I know the OP is being facetious, but MSU's NCAA tourney streak (i.e., making it every year since 1998 could be in big trouble next season. Lucas was by far their leading scorer this year. They had three guys who averaged more than 6.5 ppg this year, and two of them are gone now, so where's the scoring going to come from? Draymond Green will have his work cut out for him over this summer if he expects to shape that roster into an NCAA at-large contender. They will probably make the tourney again, but (like this season) they don't appear to have the talent to go anywhere when they make it.

Maybe Shama needs to write an article bashing M. State. Seriously, people get way to hyper over a few transfers.

If you think its wrong to question Tubby then you're insane.

The way we are headed........is not good. Players bolting. Consistent late game choke jobs. Not one semblance of an offense...

Players graduating from HS today don't care who Tubby Smith is, he won his NC, what, 14, 15 years ago?

It's almost embarrassing how Minnesota fans treat themselves. You all have self-esteem issues. You can't believe this wonderful coach from up on high selected us!!! Get some self-respect and take a look at where we are RIGHT NOW. Tubby had a 2 year window to do something and he was a contributing factor to the botching of that talent.

BTW, thanks for deleting my original thread without merit.

The way we are headed........is not good. Players bolting. Consistent late game choke jobs. Not one semblance of an offense...

Players graduating from HS today don't care who Tubby Smith is, he won his NC, what, 14, 15 years ago?

It's almost embarrassing how Minnesota fans treat themselves. You all have self-esteem issues. You can't believe this wonderful coach from up on high selected us!!! Get some self-respect and take a look at where we are RIGHT NOW. Tubby had a 2 year window to do something and he was a contributing factor to the botching of that talent.

You just had a negative thought about Gopher sports, the thought police will need to create another sarcastic (funny) thread about another program in order to create equilibrium.

Dirk

Insane may be a bit strong.

Considering your posts I have read I am sorry I missed your doomed thread. I am sure it was a kicker.

Right now we have been in the tourney two out of the last three years. The last time our Gopher hoopsters could say that was 1991. To date we have not had any NCAA infractions or investigations. Some might think that is a low bar but check our history. I think the program is heading in the right direction.

If you think it is not fast enough perhaps you would be more fulfilled rooting for Kentucky. They seem to have gotten really quick results with Cal.

Do you think we were a good team before Nolen got injured?

Go back to taking your meds or maybe take less of them. Either way just do the opposite of what you are doing so you start making some sense.

I thought we were an above average team with Nolen, but we were held back by our offensive/defensive philosophy.

Hi-Lo offense, and ball-line defense are things of the past.

Tubby restricts these players too much and hasn't developed any players. Iverson got worse and worse and worse. Ralph is still soft. Nolen never corrected his shooting form. Rodney has barely improved.

He recruited a 20 year old PG (Maverick) who couldn't be trusted to BE A POINT GUARD when he was the last man up.

So, yeah, I have questions about where this is going.

In the past 6 months, UNC has lost David Wear, Travis Wear, and Larry Drew to transfer along with kicking Will Graves off the team. They were an Elite 8 team this year.

A couple of years ago, Duke lost Eric Boateng, Jamal Boykins, Taylor King, and Elliot Williams to transfer over the course of 18 months yet they went on to win a NC last year.

Good programs aren't insilated from transfers.

In the past 6 months, UNC has lost David Wear, Travis Wear, and Larry Drew to transfer along with kicking Will Graves off the team. They were an Elite 8 team this year.

A couple of years ago, Duke lost Eric Boateng, Jamal Boykins, Taylor King, and Elliot Williams to transfer over the course of 18 months yet they went on to win a NC last year.

Good programs aren't insilated from transfers.

The difference is that those teams have plenty of talent to fall back on. Those teams get a lot of big time recruits and the cookie crumbles to where there isn't enough PT for everyone.

Plus he is only 112-48 in the Big Ten against teams other than Iowa.

CAN IZZO NOW!!!!

Top Bottom