I'm done with Billy Donovan

Unregistered User

Wild animal with a keyboard
Reaction score
The guy can NOT craft an inbounds play at the end of the game, mismanaged time-outs, and it's been years since he won a NC.

He needs to be fired.

:clap::clap::clap:

Congrats Unregistered, this is a gem! Still laughing... I'm waiting to see if Dr. Don spits out his drink when he reads the post. :drink:

Not that I agree with Dirk Diggler's post, but this is just not a relevant comparison. Donovan won his national titles at Florida, Tubby hasn't won a single NCAA tournament game or finished in the top 4 of the Big Ten at Minnesota.

Not that I agree with Dirk Diggler's post, but this is just not a relevant comparison. Donovan won his national titles at Florida, Tubby hasn't won a single NCAA tournament game or finished in the top 4 of the Big Ten at Minnesota.

Spoil sport.

Donovan makes his mistake in Elite 8. Tubby makes his at home against NW.

Donovan makes his mistake in Elite 8. Tubby makes his at home against NW.

Thanks. Now we know for sure that you don't actually watch or pay attention to the games.

Billy Donovan > Tubby Smith

and it isn't even close.

Both coached under Patino and both have a national championship.

Donovan coaches at a fairly easy school to recruit. It is bright and sunny all of the time, he also never has the pressure Tubby did at UK. Florida is a football school, but gets bball recruits because of Donovan and the whether.

MN is a football / hockey school, regardless of the recent failures. And doesn't have the nice temperatures to attract recruits. Tubby Smith, the Big 10, and the city attracts recruits to MN, plain and simple. Believe it or not, a lot of basketball players like Florida and sunny days.

Billy Donovan 17 Seasons
Career D1 Record: 395-167 (.703)
First four seasons at current School (Florida): 78-49 (.614)

National Titles (Per season): 2 (.118)
Lost in Title Game: 1 (.059)
Lost in Final 4: 0 (.000)
Lost in elite 8: 2 (.118)
Lost in Sweet 16: 1 (.059)
Lost in 2nd Round: 3 (.176)
Lost in 1st Round: 3 (.176)
NIT: 3 (.176)
No Postseason: 3 (.176)

Tubby Smith - 20 Seasons
Career D1 Record: 467-198 (.702)
First four seasons at current School (Minnesota): 80-53 (.602)

National Titles: 1 (.050)
Lost in Title Game: 0 (.000)
Lost in Final 4: 0 (.000)
Lost in elite 8: 3 (.150)
Lost in Sweet 16: 5 (.250)
Lost in 2nd Round: 3 (.150)
Lost in 1st Round: 3 (.150)
NIT: 1 (.050)
No Postseason: 3 (.150)

The two coaches are actually pretty close

Thanks. Now we know for sure that you don't actually watch or pay attention to the games.

It's an analogy dummy. The facts are that Tubby hasn't won a big game here. If he were to get to the final four and draw up an in-bounds pass that didn't work, I wouldn't be as upset as seeing him make coaching errors against bottom feeders in conference.

Scher,

I'm going to come across sounding like a jerk here, but they aren't close.

Tubby has gone to one Final Four. He did it with players he didn't recruit.

Billy Donovan has gone to three Final Fours in the past 12 years. He has won two titles and has done a good job rebuilding the Gators.

He took Florida to the title game with the Teddy Dupay group in 2000 and then built it up again with Brewer, Horford, Noah, etc. Then, this year, he gets them on the verge of the Final Four again.

Also, the rise of Florida and Tennessee is part of the reason why Tubby/Kentucky went backwards.

Billy owns Tubby. That's reality.

Scher,

I'm going to come across sounding like a jerk here, but they aren't close.

Tubby has gone to one Final Four. He did it with players he didn't recruit.

Billy Donovan has gone to three Final Fours in the past 12 years. He has won two titles and has done a good job rebuilding the Gators.

He took Florida to the title game with the Teddy Dupay group in 2000 and then built it up again with Brewer, Horford, Noah, etc. Then, this year, he gets them on the verge of the Final Four again.

Also, the rise of Florida and Tennessee is part of the reason why Tubby/Kentucky went backwards.

Billy owns Tubby. That's reality.

Donovan was already at Florida when Tubby arrived, he'd been there one season.

Tubby posted his best record 32-4 (16-0) while winning the SEC and making the elite 8 ... after Florida and Donovan had already made it to the NCAA championship game, the following two seasons Tubby had 5 and 6 losses respectivley while Donovan went 25-8, 24-7, and 22-9.

Donovan's two championships came during Tubby's last two years at UK. Those were both down years for Tubby.

I guess it depends when you consider "Florida's rise" to be.

Was it when they lost the national title game? Or was it when they won it back to back?

However, Florida's rise must have been too much for Donovan even as he went "backwards" into the NIT for two straight years and then lost in the 1st round of the NCAA.

If you consider it to be when they went back-to-back, well we can't really determine how that would have affected UK afterward, because Tubby was out right after that.

I think at this point, I would give Donovan the edge over Tubby ... but I would argue it is a lot closer than many say. Donovan "feels" superior because his success has been more recent, Tubby's elite 8's were 6, 8, 12, and 13 (Nat'l Title) years ago. Donovans elite 8's have occured 5 (Nat'l Title) years ago, 4 (Nat'l Title) years ago, and now this year.

Lon Krueger built Florida up from nothing. Not Billy Donovan. Not to take away from what Billy has done there, but Krueger had them in the Final Four in 1994 as well. When he couldn't keep Vince Carter in-state and away from NC, he got mad and went to Illinois. The specific team Billy took over wasn't great, but the program was on solid footing.

Certainly Billy has done more overall than Tubby and during their over-lapping periods in the SEC. There's no disputing it.

Lon Krueger built Florida up from nothing. Not Billy Donovan. Not to take away from what Billy has done there, but Krueger had them in the Final Four in 1994 as well. When he couldn't keep Vince Carter in-state and away from NC, he got mad and went to Illinois. The specific team Billy took over wasn't great, but the program was on solid footing.

Certainly Billy has done more overall than Tubby and during their over-lapping periods in the SEC. There's no disputing it.

Donovan was at Florida the whole time Tubby was at UK.

Overall Record from 97-98 - 06-07 (Tubby @ UK and Donovan @ FL)
Tubby Smith 263 - 83 (.760)
Billy Donovan 248 - 86 (.742)

Conference Record from 97-98 - 06-07 (Tubby @ UK and Donovan @ FL)
Tubby Smith 120 - 40 (.750)
Billy Donovan 108 - 55 (.663)

Tournament from 97-98 - 06-07 (Tubby @ UK and Donovan @ FL)
(How far they made it)

National Titles
Tubby Smith: 1
Billy Donovan: 2

Runner-Up
Tubby Smith: 0
Billy Donovan: 1

Final Four
Billy Donovan: 0

Elite 8
Tubby Smith: 3
Billy Donovan: 0

Sweet 16
Tubby Smith: 2

Second Round
Tubby Smith: 4
Billy Donovan: 3

First Round
Billy Donovan: 3

NIT

Those are numbers while they were both in the SEC ... Again, I'd still argue it is pretty close (However, giving Donovan the edge - titles matter more)

Tubby has a better overall and conference record.
Donovan has more titles and title appearences
Tubby has more elite 8's and sweet 16's and more second round losses
Donovan has more first round losses and more NIT's.

Now people know why I have retired as Head Referee of Pi$$ing Contests.

You guys put way too much work into pi$$ing. No amount of stats, proof, knowledge, etc. will ever replace opinion.

Good luck in the future, and do NOT pi$$ straight into the wind.

Top Bottom