Im calling out the kids of the state of minnesota

gopherdiehard

Reaction score
show some sack and don't follow the flash! coach kill and staff are obviously great coaches (via their winning track record anywhere) show some pride and turn this program from good to great! this is our state! i hate the d bag badgers but they built there program on instate kids, and that's a big part of what we have to do

What a lousy endorsement. "d bag badgers". You were doing fine until you turned it into a Badger thread. How many recruits in Minnesota have relatives in Wisconsin. I would think a high percentage.

Ok - I am sure all the in-state kids will fall in line.

show some sack and don't follow the flash! coach kill and staff are obviously great coaches (via their winning track record anywhere) show some pride and turn this program from good to great! this is our state! i hate the d bag badgers but they built there program on instate kids, and that's a big part of what we have to do

This was the missing part of the plan!! Well done, they are all coming to U of M now!

Some kids just want to get away from home - away from Mom and Dad - and carve out their own space.

And, if they get a chance to get away from home, while receiving a full ride at a winning program, they're going to leave.

If the Gophers want to keep the elite in-state kids from leaving, they have to build a program that can legitimately compete with the helmet schools. They're not there yet. They may get there someday, but they're not there yet.

Ergo, some of the top MN kids are going to leave the state as long as they perceive greener pastures at another school.

Thanks for this speech. Word on the street is every high school athlete read this and is sorry. They are now all committing to the U.

I get excited about the Saturday night/Subday Morning 4 AM threads. They always bring up good points.

Sarcasm.

show some sack? Who starts a post like this?

I'll try and hijack this post into something maybe a little less acerbic, but still in the same ball park. I don't really think having the kids from Minnesota stay in Minnesota falls much on the kid's backs at all. It's tough for them to automatically put the U at the forefront when they have grown up and watched Mason's decline and then firing, Brewster being hired and then turning out to be an idiot and now Kill coming on board with some promise but also many questions marks tied to his health, frankly our QBs and whether he'll actually get us over the hump. I was a kid of the 80's and watched in person the Nebraska '83 debacle and I still would have come and played here in a heartbeat in '84 if given the opportunity even if I had other D1 options because I grew up bleeding Maroon and Gold. We'll have a few of those types who will go with us regardless and then a few of the marginal BCS type kids who will go here because we're their best D1 option. The high end Minnesota kids right now we're still asking to take a pretty big leap of faith to stay home and play for the Gophers. If we're able to sustain the type of year we had in '13 and maybe incrementally improve on it over the next year or two the leap of faith we're asking them to take becomes incrementally smaller and smaller. Hopefully, four or five years from now it won't be a leap of faith and we will have a program in place that's good enough wins wise and facilities wise to where the local kids on the high end will become believers at a younger age and stick around and help us get even better. As it stands, the admin at the U and all of us fans who one way or another have "tolerated" decades of below average B1G play around here are way more accountable for a kid potentially wanting to go play for say FSU or Michigan than the kid who is making said decision. All we can do is hope that Kill and his staff can sell to these kids that everything is on the right track and that their team goals can be met (New Year's Day bowl, B1G contender, etc) if they agree to wear Maroon and Gold.

I think the biggest issue is producing NFL talent. There are currently four active players in the NFL from The University of Minnesota. That's terrible, and less than the following non-BCS schools:

-Appalachian State
-Arkansas State
-Boise State
-BYU
-Central Florida
-Central Michigan
-Colorado State
-UCONN
-East Carolina
-Florida International
-Fresno State
-Hawaii
-Houston
-Kent State
-Louisiana Tech
-Louisiana-Lafayette
-Memphis
-Miami (OH)
-UMass
-Marshall
-Nevada
-UNLV
-New Mexico State
-Ohio
-Rice
-San Diego State
-USF
-SMU
-Southern Miss
-Temple
-UTEP
-Toledo
-Troy
-Utah State
-Western Michigan
-Wyoming

And the following FCS and Division II schools (including ties):
-Abeliene Christian
-Alabama State
-California (PA)
-Delaware
-Eastern Washington
-Grand Valley State
-Hampton
-Hofstra
-James Madison
-North Dakota State
-Portland State
-Richmond
-South Carolina State
-Southern Illinois
-West Texas A&M
-William & Mary

We're dead last in BCS programs.

While this isn't Kill's fault, it is a huge problem, and for those of you that say "I don't care about making NFL players, I care about making college players", this is hurting us to that end as well. The ultimate goal of the majority of HS kids with D1 offers is to make the NFL. When Illinois has produced 25 NFL players, Rutgers has produced 23, and FCS school Delaware has produced 7, we need to skyrocket our current number to make that appeal.

I think the biggest issue is producing NFL talent. There are currently four active players in the NFL from The University of Minnesota. That's terrible, and less than the following non-BCS schools:

-Appalachian State
-Arkansas State
-Boise State
-BYU
-Central Florida
-Central Michigan
-Colorado State
-UCONN
-East Carolina
-Florida International
-Fresno State
-Hawaii
-Houston
-Kent State
-Louisiana Tech
-Louisiana-Lafayette
-Memphis
-Miami (OH)
-UMass
-Marshall
-Nevada
-UNLV
-New Mexico State
-Ohio
-Rice
-San Diego State
-USF
-SMU
-Southern Miss
-Temple
-UTEP
-Toledo
-Troy
-Utah State
-Western Michigan
-Wyoming

And the following FCS and Division II schools (including ties):
-Abeliene Christian
-Alabama State
-California (PA)
-Delaware
-Eastern Washington
-Grand Valley State
-Hampton
-Hofstra
-James Madison
-North Dakota State
-Portland State
-Richmond
-South Carolina State
-Southern Illinois
-West Texas A&M
-William & Mary

We're dead last in BCS programs.

While this isn't Kill's fault, it is a huge problem, and for those of you that say "I don't care about making NFL players, I care about making college players", this is hurting us to that end as well. The ultimate goal of the majority of HS kids with D1 offers is to make the NFL. When Illinois has produced 25 NFL players, Rutgers has produced 23, and FCS school Delaware has produced 7, we need to skyrocket our current number to make that appeal.

Think Kill might have had a hand or two in this one!

Think Kill might have had a hand or two in this one!
Not really. Kill left after the 2007 season. Two of that four are rookies who got there after he left. One of the others was recruited by Kill but never played for him. The only one who Kill coached was Brandon Jacobs.

Northern Illinois has 4 players currently in the NFL, low for even a MAC school. Doug Free was drafted before Kill got there. Larry English played his senior year under Kill. Chad Spann and Rashaan Melvin each played a few years for Kill.

And then of course there's Quis, which makes four kids that Kill has coached for more than a year who are currently on an active roster in the NFL. That number needs to go up at Minnesota as well. Shede and hopefully Brock Vereen will help.

Top Bottom