I'm an optimist but I think Tubby has got to make the sweet 16 to keep his job

I'm getting sick of watching us completely fall apart and appear to have no answer for the zone. If Tubby can't pull off a Sweet 16 run, he needs to go. I couldn't bare to watch more than 5 min or so of today's game.

I am as little of a Tubs fan as anyone, I blame hime more for the roster than his coaching, but I will say that I believe if he wins an NCAA game, no way he gets fired, but I could easily be wrong...

why is that goldengophers? Because I hold back my criticisms of Tubby, in an effort to bring some balance to the discussion?!

Because I see Kansas losing to TCU, previously winless in conf play.
Because I see UL losing 3 in a row.
Because I see Missouri going 1-6 on the road vs a far inferior league?
Because I see Cincy going 2-4 in their last 6 home games?

Yet what I don't see, is KU, UL, Missouri or Cincy fans acting like its the end of the world. NONE of the fans of those teams think that their teams aren't going to make the NCAA tournament.

Only Gopher fans act like its a sin to lose a road game to a Top 40 team. HOW we lost, sure, thats a different story. But its one I don't feel the need to make an issue out of, because dozens of Tubby Haters are doing just fine making an issue out of it.

And guess what, UMn's got a better resume than both Cincy and Missouri. Both of those teams, and VCU as well, are looking at possible 3 or 4 game losing streaks in the next 2 weeks.

I mentioned in another thread that I have been on your side sticking up for this team all season, but after tonight we are now in a tie with Illinois and IOWA for 6th place in the Big Ten. After our next two games we probably will be in 8th place in our conference.

Although you bring up good points above about other teams' struggles you, and anybody else cannot possibly tell me that you are not disappointed in this season at this point. Seriously, in the next week and half we will probably be in EIGHTH place!

Now I still think we get in the tournament based on our non conference success and luck that the Big Ten is so loaded this year, but at this point even I can't help but be disappointed in how this has turned out for this team.

Well, seeing as my hopes had been so artificially raised earlier in the season, and I had no clue that teams like Wisconsin and Iowa were going to be factors, yeah, I'm disappointed in how this season has gone.

Issues abound, and I did not think there would be so many, and the biggest issue in my mind is whether Tubby's coaching abilities are equipped to take this team beyond the 1st round of the NCAA tournament.

I'm disappointed in how the scedule has seemingly set us up for disappointment, with the NW road game coming right on the heels of the two big games vs Indiana and Michigan, and now this road game vs Iowa sandwiched together with a road game vs OSU and a home game vs Indiana.

Leaving 3 of our most winnable games to be played at the very end of the season after we've been beaten up by the scedule all the way to that point.

But in light of how good the rest of the Big Ten is, and how little depth we have, I'm not all that disappointed, really.

I've been looking at alot of things, trying to wrap my brain around all of this, and I'm thinking we might see Iowa going 4-1 to finish out the Big Ten season, moving them to 10-8, and with 4 wins and a loss that will still help their RPI rating, they could play themselves into the NCAA tourney before seasons end.

I also see Illinois finishing up at or around 8-10 and getting into the NCAA tourney.

I have looked at Purdue's, Penn St's and Nebraska's scedules, who they've played, who they've beaten, and where those games were played, and in light of how we seem at least able to jump out to big leads vs almost anyone, or able to catch up to anyone no matter how far back we fall, I'm thinking we win all 3 of our last 3 games. Those 3 teams simply are not very good. Most of their wins are vs each other and/or NW.

And as for our next 2 games, well, Indiana's pretty up and down this season, for a #1 ranked team, and it being a home game for us, we could still pull off a big upset in that game.

And OSU?! Looking at their scedule, honestly, I see them possibly dropping all the way down to 9-9 by the end of the conf season. They've been coasting by with the Michigan win and easy games otherwise, keeping them up where they have been in the standings and rankings.

But today's beatdown at the hands of Wisconsin, a team not really known for putting down beatdowns on teams, shows me that our next game could be the most important of the season so far!!!!!

Both OSU and Minnesota are at a crossroads in their seasons. Both will have suffered beatdowns. UMn's moving into a softer part of its scedule, OSU is finally having to play the toughest part of their scedule, starting with us. Minnesota could start its comeback in the game vs OSU, and we could send OSU further into a tailspin that drops them down and down til talk of them fearing the bubble will start up. If we beat them, it won't matter if we beat IU or not, I think we'll win our last 3. Obviously if we lose to OSU but beat IU, then I think we win our last 3 as well. If we lose our next 2, well, it will depend on the strength of character of our players.

But I'm starting to think that the Big Ten will get 8 teams into the tourney this year.

Oh yeah, one more thing I noticed, it's looking like Purdue will be 6-9 with very little chance of even making the NIT when we come to town. So not sure how much gas they will have left in their tanks at that point in the season. They may just put off trying until the BTT starts up?! Could be a factor helping us win probably our 3rd toughest of the next 5 games.

Purdue 6-9 heading into the final game they must not be on a 18 game schedule like the rest of the conference.

Wow - so much hate after a loss....funny how after the WI game I remember a few of you on the Tubby bandwagon. How one game can change Gopherhole!

Not a hater but this is 3 years in a row with epic Feb collapses injuries and excuses not withstanding that is a trend. Fact is the guy has not won a NCAA game in 6 years in my opinion any team outside of NW, Neb, and PSU that doesn't win a NCAA game in this day and age and it is time to move on if they do not win an NCAA game.

I agree. There's absolutely no way Tubby will be fired if he makes the round of 32. I realize some people are only saying they want him to be fired if he doesn't make the Sweet 16, but I don't understand how anyone think he will be fired if he wins a game. The only scenario I really see him getting fired is if we don't make the tournament. Maaaaybe if we barely get in at 8-10 and then get blown out in the first round. 9-9 and a relatively close tournament game and I think he stays for sure.

I am as little of a Tubs fan as anyone, I blame hime more for the roster than his coaching, but I will say that I believe if he wins an NCAA game, no way he gets fired, but I could easily be wrong...

Wow - so much hate after a loss....funny how after the WI game I remember a few of you on the Tubby bandwagon. How one game can change Gopherhole!

The words "hate" and "haters" are the new way of attempting to make anyone who disagrees with you seem oh so rotten. Parski - this is a fan site. Fans get disgusted when the home team loses and does it in such putrid fashion. You don't have to hate anyone to want the game to be played or coached differently.

The words "hate" and "haters" are the new way of attempting to make anyone who disagrees with you seem oh so rotten. Parski - this is a fan site. Fans get disgusted when the home team loses and does it in such putrid fashion. You don't have to hate anyone to want the game to be played or coached differently.

I keep hearing this one guy say the team seems to turn the ball over way too many times, they miss too many shots around the basket, they aren't able to attack a zone, they don't shoot very well at times, they don't seem to be focused enough, player so and so needs to make better decisions, players miss defensive assignments too much etc... Is he a Tubby Hater? This guy's name is Tubby Smith.

I was trying to get back on, I really was. I desperately want Tubby to be the guy who gets us to the promised land. I was slipping, and I thought we were in the middle of our annual conference regular season meltdown. The Badger game gave me hope, it made me think this year was going to be different, we were going to crawl out of the slide and finish hot. Then we showed up and gave good effort for 10 minutes of a basketball game. Tubby can get me back on board by beating OSU or IU, but at the end of the day, the proof will be in the pudding, and my feelings on him will be based on how we perform in the NCAA tournament.

Considering this is Tubby's "best" team at Minnesota... There has to be something wrong with the system. You can't say Wisconsin, or even Iowa, has better athletes than the Gophers. Yet we are tied at the moment with Iowa, and Wisconsin is doing a lot better than us. In my opinion, the problem is Tubby's coaching style and his system. We've all seen his hockey line changes. On a couple occasions, he's taken out Dre after two fouls and didn't play him for the rest of the first half. Even when the other team was slowly making their run. It's like Tubby forgot that Dre was on the bench. I get the point of taking him out for a few minutes, but for the whole half...? Why Oto and Mav ever see the court is baffling also.

So I think it's time for a change.

Top Bottom