Illinois vs Wisconsin

Some guy

Reaction score
A lot of people high on Illinois. I have this as a double digit Wisconsin win. Someone convince me that Illinois beats them because that would be awesome.

Illinois has developed an identity. Rugged defense and able to run the ball. That typically wins some games in the B1G.

I think it will be a competitive game.

This is completely subjective, but what really surprised me about the Gopher's loss to Illinois in 2021 is the way Illinois seemed to physically take it to the Gophers.

To my eyes, since about mid-season 2018, the Gophers under Fleck have always played very tough, physical football. We have almost always dominated in the trenches, especially our huge offensive line.

That Illinois team last season seemed to match up with us physically quite well. It was a bit of a shock to me. That's why I am keeping a wary eye on Illinois this season.

In contrast, Wisconsin just seems a half-step behind where they usually are in the trenches.

But... it's a long season. We'll see how it shakes out.

This is completely subjective, but what really surprised me about the Gopher's loss to Illinois in 2021 is the way Illinois seemed to physically take it to the Gophers.

To my eyes, since about mid-season 2018, the Gophers under Fleck have always played very tough, physical football. We have almost always dominated in the trenches, especially our huge offensive line.

That Illinois team last season seemed to match up with us physically quite well. It was a bit of a shock to me. That's why I am keeping a wary eye on Illinois this season.

In contrast, Wisconsin just seems a half-step behind where they usually are in the trenches.

But... it's a long season. We'll see how it shakes out.
I think a big reason why Illinois looked physical and tough last season is because the 2021 Gopher offense was very ineffective at times, especially when it was head to head with Illinois' defense.

That being said, I do feel as though Illinois is a program on the rise and the team has developed an effective identity on both sides of the ball. Rugged defense matched with an offense that can effectively run the ball. Very Big-Ten-like.

I think a big reason why Illinois looked physical and tough last season is because the 2021 Gopher offense was very ineffective at times, especially when it was head to head with Illinois' defense.

That being said, I do feel as though Illinois is a program on the rise and the team has developed an effective identity on both sides of the ball. Rugged defense matched with an offense that can effectively run the ball. Very Big-Ten-like.

To me, they seem like a team that likes to try to beat you up. They also seem to have a few really fast, athletic players.

To me, they seem like a team that likes to try to beat you up. They also seem to have a few really fast, athletic players.
Commented in another thread that we will find out a lot about Illinois in the next 2 weeks when. They have this one with Wisconsin on the road followed by a home game against Iowa.

The good news for us is that we will have an extra week to get ready for them and I like our chances with KC and Rossi having extra time to study their opponent.

A lot of people high on Illinois. I have this as a double digit Wisconsin win. Someone convince me that Illinois beats them because that would be awesome.
Wisconsin just lost Clay Cundiff who was third in targets and their best pass catching option at tight end. The line has not looked good. The 5* who came in for Mahlman has been their worst graded lineman. Center and RT have looked good per PFF. Defensively their inside backers have not played up to the standard one has expected from wisconsin and that has really hurt them.

I think that Illinois's defense should be able to limit Wisconsin as much as Washington State did -- and they will be better coached situationally (Wisconsin was able to scored a TD at the half against Wazzu due to poor clock management the series prior). Chase Brown is playing excellently, Tommy DeVito looks like a Jack Coan impersonator who is just doing the right things, and they have two good wideouts in Pat Bryant and Isaiah Williams.

If Illinois plays within themselves and doesn't commit stupid penalties they win in my opinion.

Hopefully, a couple of hard games vs Wisconsin and Iowa will soften up the obvious physicality of Illinois. Nothing like a few bumps and bruises to impact the mental side of the game.

Otis-Would Illinois simplify things if we go and beat them and then somehow lose to PSU and then Iowa, and WI. I think we. 're good for all our games except possibly the PSU whiteout game.

Wisconsin just lost Clay Cundiff who was third in targets and their best pass catching option at tight end. The line has not looked good. The 5* who came in for Mahlman has been their worst graded lineman. Center and RT have looked good per PFF. Defensively their inside backers have not played up to the standard one has expected from wisconsin and that has really hurt them.

I think that Illinois's defense should be able to limit Wisconsin as much as Washington State did -- and they will be better coached situationally (Wisconsin was able to scored a TD at the half against Wazzu due to poor clock management the series prior). Chase Brown is playing excellently, Tommy DeVito looks like a Jack Coan impersonator who is just doing the right things, and they have two good wideouts in Pat Bryant and Isaiah Williams.

If Illinois plays within themselves and doesn't commit stupid penalties they win in my opinion.
The 5* that came in for Mahlman, was that the .99 kid from Pennsylvania, or a different one? Genuinely curious. Also, where does that LB (Kaden Johnson?) from here who went there a few years ago play, inside or outside?

Thanks.

Hopefully, a couple of hard games vs Wisconsin and Iowa will soften up the obvious physicality of Illinois. Nothing like a few bumps and bruises to impact the mental side of the game.
The good news is that whoever loses the Wisconsin/Illinois game will have 2 conference losses. I feel like the magic number for us right now is teams getting to 3 conference losses. I just have a really hard time seeing us dropping 3 conference games this season.

But anything can happen. We need this one against Purdue to give us a 3 game cushion over them and basically eliminate them from the title chase now. Then can turn our sights on doing the same thing to Illinois in a couple of weeks assuming they are still a threat after the next 2 games.

The 5* that came in for Mahlman, was that the .99 kid from Pennsylvania, or a different one? Genuinely curious. Also, where does that LB (Kaden Johnson?) from here who went there a few years ago play, inside or outside?

Thanks.
That one -- Logan Brown. Johnson is an RsSO OLB.

That one -- Logan Brown. Johnson is an RsSO OLB.
Interesting, thanks. Any idea what the issue is? I mean, wasn't his dad a lineman for PSU, and his older brother already was on the Badger's team? So you'd think he'd come out of high school pretty ready.

Are both him and Mahlman in the same class, eligibility-wise?

Interesting, thanks. Any idea what the issue is? I mean, wasn't his dad a lineman for PSU, and his older brother already was on the Badger's team? So you'd think he'd come out of high school pretty ready.

Are both him and Mahlman in the same class, eligibility-wise?
Mahlman is a RsFR Brown is a RsJR. In the games I've watched he's just been too slow (I'm not an elite football mine) and PFF and agreed with what I've seen.

I misremembered -- Brown is from Mi -- Rucci is the 5* from last year and he's in the same class as Mahlman -- he's the backup LT

Commented in another thread that we will find out a lot about Illinois in the next 2 weeks when. They have this one with Wisconsin on the road followed by a home game against Iowa.

The good news for us is that we will have an extra week to get ready for them and I like our chances with KC and Rossi having extra time to study their opponent.
Would be awesome if Illinois split the next two weeks. As it would essentially eliminate 2 of 3 of Iowa, wisconsin, and Illinois provided that Michigan beats Iowa and Minnesota beats Purdue

The good news is that whoever loses the Wisconsin/Illinois game will have 2 conference losses. I feel like the magic number for us right now is teams getting to 3 conference losses. I just have a really hard time seeing us dropping 3 conference games this season.

But anything can happen. We need this one against Purdue to give us a 3 game cushion over them and basically eliminate them from the title chase now. Then can turn our sights on doing the same thing to Illinois in a couple of weeks assuming they are still a threat after the next 2 games.
Once we beat Purdue we can be Purdue fans.
Northwestern currently unbeaten in conference 👀

Would be awesome if Illinois split the next two weeks. As it would essentially eliminate 2 of 3 of Iowa, wisconsin, and Illinois provided that Michigan beats Iowa and Minnesota beats Purdue
Yep, we need to take care of business on our end and let the other teams pile up a few conference losses by going head to head.

Once we beat Purdue we can be Purdue fans.
Northwestern currently unbeaten in conference 👀
lol....yeah.....having a hard time being too worried about the Cats this year.....if we can't beat them we don't deserve to win the division.

Conversely would make a great road atmosphere if 5-0 Minnesota and 5-1 Illinois met in Champaign

Last edited:

Additionally would make a great road atmosphere if 5-0 Minnesota and 5-1 Illinois met in Champaign
If Illinois splits with Iowa and Wisconsin they would have 2 conference losses. In the fear being built up about Illinois people seem to forget they got beat by Indiana.

If Illinois splits with Iowa and Wisconsin they would have 2 conference losses. In the fear being built up about Illinois people seem to forget they got beat by Indiana.
I've tried to be quite clear in my assessment of Illinois that they have to play mistake free football. They hurt themselves with penalties in that Indiana game, couldn't buy a stop on the game winning drive, and the ref's took a touchdown away from them.

They remind me of Minnesota last year. Losing to either Illinois or Bowling Green didn't diminish the abilities of the team if they played to their potential

It was one of the few games that I was able to attend last year and I came away impressed with Illinois. However, it was also a game where our inability to throw the ball was the most egregious.

Illinois COMPLETELY sold out on the run and our WR were running bizarre (long developing) routes and were often running wide open and Tanner simply couldn't see them. I'm not making an excuse because they beat us fair and square, but if we had just average QB play, I think we win that game by 10 points.

Our inability to throw the ball in that game was egregious.

lol....yeah.....having a hard time being too worried about the Cats this year.....if we can't beat them we don't deserve to win the division.
I would think so either but they have almost built a program on being a spoiler. They have slayed a few dragons in years they totally sucked. But yea gophs should be a heavy favorite

It was one of the few games that I was able to attend last year and I came away impressed with Illinois. However, it was also a game where our inability to throw the ball was the most egregious.

Illinois COMPLETELY sold out on the run and our WR were running bizarre (long developing) routes and were often running wide open and Tanner simply couldn't see them. I'm not making an excuse because they beat us fair and square, but if we had just average QB play, I think we win that game by 10 points.

It's a fuzzy memory at this point, but wasn't Illinois also getting a decent amount of pass pressure? So the long developing routes were just not working.

I would think so either but they have almost built a program on being a spoiler. They have slayed a few dragons in years they totally sucked. But yea gophs should be a heavy favorite
If Northwestern runs the gauntlet of:

Penn State
Wisconsin
Maryland
Iowa
Ohio State

and is still in contention when they play us I will be officially worried. Gut feeling is they will be well out of it long before they get to us :)

I believe this is the game that was Fleck's last straw on Sanford. The next week vs. Iowa and remaining games the tactics on offense seemed to change, going early to the passing game to open up the run (duh!).

edit add: the lack of viable outlet pass options in Sanford's offense drove me insane.

I believe this is the game that was Fleck's last straw on Sanford. The next week vs. Iowa and remaining games the tactics on offense seemed to change, going early to the passing game to open up the run (duh!).
That's also when Fleck was talking about Simon being part of the play calling/game planning (after the Illinois game).

It's a fuzzy memory at this point, but wasn't Illinois also getting a decent amount of pass pressure? So the long developing routes were just not working.
solid memory -- they got 6 sacks last year

Top Bottom