Illinois QB

Nate

cum grano salis
Reaction score
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...expects-to-play-both-backup-qbs-vs-minnesota/

Offensive coordinator Bill Cubit sounded very, for you Seinfield fans out there, Krueger-ian about the idea.

“I don’t know. I’ll be honest with you — I’ve never done it before,” Cubit said. “Both guys have pretty good qualities. We’ll figure it out.”

O’Toole has thrown for 524 yards with three touchdowns and four interceptions this season. Bailey had not recorded a statistic this season until entering the Wisconsin loss late in the game.

With Lunt out until mid-November, Beckman has to gamble in hopes of saving his job. The Illi are 3-4 this season (0-3 Big Ten) and are winless against Power Five competition. Their only two FBS wins, over Western Kentucky and Texas State, came by eight and seven points respectively.

The Illinois fans are blasting him.

I think Beckman made a mistake hiring Cubit. It seemed strange for Beckman to go to a full out passing attack in year two by hiring Cubit. This QB debate sort of confirms that for me. Beckman would like Bailey because Beckman is more comfortable with a run oriented spread, option etc. Cubit wants O'Toole who is better able to throw on every down. Despite our relative success on offense last year, I don't think Beckman should have ever hired Cubit. Bad fit.

Wow, I am kind of surprised at how often Cubit just responded to a reporter's question with "I don't know. I really have no idea." Seemed depressed and confused (I guess I can't really blame him). Seemed against the 2-QB system. Should be interesting on Saturday...

Wow is right.

http://www.illinoisloyalty.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=21730&page=13

That's a pretty sad thread. I feel bad for the Illini fans.

These are dead men walking. The Gophers need to focus, and take care of business. Give them no Hope.
BEAT THE ILLINI !!!!!!!!!!!!

Clearly the OC and HC are not on the same page about how to plan for the game. I can only imagine how the players feel going into this weekend. They had an extra week and the coaches didn't even have a game plan laid out yet.

Between just hearing Kill on WCCO, where he sounded quite confident, and watching this Illinois coach come off like he is beaten... I'm going to say this game is over already. I've learned to trust Kill and I've been around enough to read between the lines to know when a coach is frustrated and pre-beaten.

Let me put this in a different way: if the Gophers do not win this one easily... There is a real danger they are regressing and done improving as a team for this season.

Watched Beckman's most recent press conference from that link. Seems like a nice enough guy, but I just think he has a lot of "Brewster" in him. Mostly seems overwhelmed.

Watched Beckman's most recent press conference from that link. Seems like a nice enough guy, but I just think he has a lot of "Brewster" in him. Mostly seems overwhelmed.

Beckman is definitely Brewster 2.0. If you close your eyes when he talks, you can almost see Brewster.

Between just hearing Kill on WCCO, where he sounded quite confident, and watching this Illinois coach come off like he is beaten... I'm going to say this game is over already. I've learned to trust Kill and I've been around enough to read between the lines to know when a coach is frustrated and pre-beaten.

Let me put this in a different way: if the Gophers do not win this one easily... There is a real danger they are regressing and done improving as a team for this season.

Not so, grasshoppa. Plenty of teams have a bad week and bounce back. There's been no regressing in the JK regime. It doesn't work that way. Glitches happen, bad games, bad breaks, bad calls... If we don't win this one easily it could be that we fall into the same trap so may athletes and teams in so many sports fall into -- realizing early on we're way better than them and relaxing. It's human nature.

But, I have a feeling the Gophers want to go balls out after last week and will give an inspired effort.

Top Bottom