Illinois announces home football games at Memorial Stadium this season will be limited to 20% capacity w/6-foot social distancing & reserved seating.

I hope the broadcasts inject crowd noise. Makes the games much more interesting for whatever reason.

I hope the broadcasts inject crowd noise. Makes the games much more interesting for whatever reason.

If you're on ESPN2 the crowd noise sounds like it is in a tin can 10 miles away ... so it would be amusing to see them give a damn now.

Hmmm....the "no tailgating" thing is a bit surprising and concerning.

If the U were to have a similar policy, that might be the tipping point to have me sitting it out and watching from home. I'm not sure I'm OK with spending good money and not be allowed to tailgate.

Hmmm....the "no tailgating" thing is a bit surprising and concerning.

If the U were to have a similar policy, that might be the tipping point to have me sitting it out and watching from home. I'm not sure I'm OK with spending good money and not be allowed to tailgate.
I'm sure tailgating will happen just not on university property.

It was only about 20 months ago that anyone could have said the same about Minnesota; and honestly, we couldn't argue with them.

20 months is being generous. You could have said the same thing 10 months ago. Really anytime up to the PSU game.

I'm sure tailgating will happen just not on university property.
In pretty much every other B1G city, yes. But considering Mpls has restricted this to the degree they have, the U not having it would pretty much kill any chance of it happening here.

I - L - L ! .... i n i (softly in the distance)

I never thought about tailgating, but it's impossible at the lots around the Bank to have social distancing, plus w/ eating and drinking, no masks will be worn (for the most part). I would think they'll have to at minimum do every other spot, push people to further lots, etc. With reduced capacity, could be fine. But all that is if there are games and if there are fans at said games. I still think the latter is highly unlikely and the former is looking more and more unlikely every day.

I never thought about tailgating, but it's impossible at the lots around the Bank to have social distancing, plus w/ eating and drinking, no masks will be worn (for the most part). I would think they'll have to at minimum do every other spot, push people to further lots, etc. With reduced capacity, could be fine. But all that is if there are games and if there are fans at said games. I still think the latter is highly unlikely and the former is looking more and more unlikely every day.
They can't seem to manage to keep tailgaters from trying to horde an open parking spot next to their tailgate spot that they didn't pay for ... hard to imagine they can control them any other way ...

In pretty much every other B1G city, yes. But considering Mpls has restricted this to the degree they have, the U not having it would pretty much kill any chance of it happening here.
Restricted how?

Restricted how?
The fact that Mpls doesn't allow private citizens or businesses sell their parking lots for tailgating. Many other B1G cities allow this, but not Mpls. So if you're not at a University lot, no tailgating. The one exception seems to be the River Flats, but that's because it's owned by the park system.

The fact that Mpls doesn't allow private citizens or businesses sell their parking lots for tailgating. Many other B1G cities allow this, but not Mpls. So if you're not at a University lot, no tailgating. The one exception seems to be the River Flats, but that's because it's owned by the park system.
What private lots are close enough and large enough for tailgating?

Jacob Fry will send a SWAT team to shut down anything going on, even in a private lot.

Top Bottom