Illini HC Tim Beckman fed players porridge at banquet if they didn't follow rules

Then there's that one player that likes porridge: "Jokes on you coach, I love this *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#"

Do they have to say "Please, sir, I'd like some more"?

Sounds like he's trying to outdo Kill's brown shirts in the B1G creative discipline awards. Jerry needs to come up with something to show he's still the king. Maybe he'll force players who underperform to stay after and peel potatoes.

Sounds like he's trying to outdo Kill's brown shirts in the B1G creative discipline awards. Jerry needs to come up with something to show he's still the king. Maybe he'll force players who underperform to stay after and peel potatoes.

I hear locking kids in a maintenance shed works wonders...at least medicinally, that is. Not sure about discipline.

This isn't about discipline...this is a banquet to celebrate the season...the brown shirts are about letting your team and yourself down and not being able to hide from your teammates at practice...it is about accountability to your team, the program, the school and the state that supports you...doing a stunt like this is about the Coach...it isn't remotely the same.

This is a banquet to celebrate the season

No, it wasn't.

This was a "made-up" banquet designed specifically to reward those who followed the rules of winter workouts and to punish those who didn't follow the rules of winter workouts, heading into spring ball. The entire purpose of the "banquet" was about discipline and it wasn't that much different than the brown shirts.

This isn't about discipline...this is a banquet to celebrate the season...the brown shirts are about letting your team and yourself down and not being able to hide from your teammates at practice...it is about accountability to your team, the program, the school and the state that supports you...doing a stunt like this is about the Coach...it isn't remotely the same.

First, most of these types of policies or tactics are used by a number of coaches across the landscape of American sport.

Second, whether it is a bowl of porridge, brown shirt, or having to do Leach's "Tower of London" with a brick over your head, it doesn't matter. All methods have everything to do with letting people know who is in charge, the procedures your going to follow, and the consequences for not following said coaches expectations or methods.

Most importantly, not having enough respect for yourself to follow those.

While it may or may not be our method of choice, I am quite confident Beckman got a message across to his kids -- which is probably a refreshing change from when {name redacted} was coaching there.

Buck

Top Bottom