Illini COVID Situation

Whoa. That's a long list. Starting QB.....that's tough.

Whoa. That's a long list. Starting QB.....that's tough.

At this point we need all the help we can get. I don't think that list was just Covid but if their infections go up even more the game next week could definitely be in doubt.

I see Wisconsin's covid list has grown, seems like a good chance they might have to miss more then just this weekend as well.

Do these numbers put them into some type of covid red-red zone for being able to play a game? Seems Sconnie dropped a game for less impact...

So did they get it from Wisc, or did they give it to Wisc?

Laughable that when the Wisc news was breaking, I recall a comment in one of the articles that an Illini representative said they had no positives tests at that time.

Do these numbers put them into some type of covid red-red zone for being able to play a game? Seems Sconnie dropped a game for less impact...
The protocol seems to be a combination of the positivity rate on the team AND the positivity rate of the local population.

It wouldn't surprise me if Champaign, IL is at least doing "OK" right now.

The language SON posted did not say anything about such a situation as "Red/Green" (team bad, local good) ... they might be in that situation right now.

14 players out of 105 roster ... I mean that's pretty well above 7.5% positivity??

Seems like they should've "paused" on Thursday and no-contested this game, at least.

14 players out of 105 roster ... I mean that's pretty well above 7.5% positivity??

Seems like they should've "paused" on Thursday and no-contested this game, at least.
i don't believe the above numbers are all covid cases

Wait a second .... so is the Tweet saying just 2 players are out with Covid, in the same breath as saying 14 players are out for the game?

Seems like quite a rash of injuries, then?

I thought contact tracing wasn’t going to be an issue in the big ten?

8 key questions about the Wisconsin football team’s COVID-19 outbreak

As of Saturday morning, the Badgers football program has 22 active cases of COVID-19 — 12 student-athletes and 10 staff members. The program only identified one of those cases, saying head coach Paul Chryst has contracted the virus. Sources told the State Journal that offensive coordinator Joe Rudolph and quarterbacks Graham Mertz (above) and Chase Wolf were among those to test positive.
UW athletic director Barry Alvarez said during a news conference Wednesday that the program had one positive test in the first few weeks of daily testing. Then one student-athlete tested positive on Wednesday, Oct. 21, followed by 21 more people within the program between Oct. 24-31.

Public Health Madison and Dane County told the State Journal on Tuesday that 60 COVID-19 cases are identified as being associated with UW football. The dates of those positive tests range from early June to Monday..

Does Illinois’ team have COVID-19 cases after playing the Badgers?

Yes.

Illinois announced Saturday morning that quarterback Brandon Peters and tight end Griffin Moore tested positive for COVID-19 on Thursday. Both players will be out of game action for 21 days.
"Contact tracing also sidelined several other players for (Saturday) and next week's game against Minnesota," a release from the program read
Illinois lost its season opener 45-7 to UW at Camp Randall Stadium..

I thought the big ten stated that their frequent testing would reduce the likelihood of guys being held out for contact tracing? Maybe not.

Seriously?
Yes. Every player and staffer tested every day meaning I wasn’t aware people who test today negative still have to sit out today.

you aren’t contagious if you don’t have it. Even if you were near it

I completely understand being overly cautious.....but hopefully in order to avoid canceling a bunch of games......the Big Ten adapts their policy.

Purdue coach Jeff Brohm, who missed the Boilermakers opener against Iowa, returned to the sideline after missing 10 days with a positive COVID-19 test.

Besides Peters and Moore, sidelined Illini players on Saturday include: defensive back Christian Bobak, linebacker Shammond Cooper, offensive lineman Brevyn Jones, wide receiver Kerby Joseph, offensive lineman Doug Kramer, defensive back Michael Marchese, kicker James McCourt, offensive lineman Moses Okpala, defensive lineman Keith Randolph, wide receiver Trevon Sidney, offensive lineman Jordyn Slaughter and quarterback Isaiah Williams.
Kramer and McCourt are roommates with Peters, and Cooper and Randolph live with Moore, according to Illini Inquirer.

I thought the big ten stated that their frequent testing would reduce the likelihood of guys being held out for contact tracing? Maybe not.

Probably did, but couldn't eliminate it. With what's going on in Wisconsin contract tracing is hardly foolproof.

The protocol seems to be a combination of the positivity rate on the team AND the positivity rate of the local population.

It wouldn't surprise me if Champaign, IL is at least doing "OK" right now.

The language SON posted did not say anything about such a situation as "Red/Green" (team bad, local good) ... they might be in that situation right now.
The city/area as a whole doesn't matter.

There are two measures they look at, test positivity rate and population positivity rate. Test positivity rate is total positive tests divided by total tests over a 7 day rolling average, where 2-5% is orange and over 5% is red. Population positivity rate is the number of people who are currently positive divided by the number of people involved in the testing program, where 3.5-7.5% is orange and over 7.5% is red. Both seem to include more than just the players but it's unclear how broad it is. At the very least it seems to include the coaches and it could potentially include anyone who comes near the players. I've seen 170 people tested per team thrown around but I'm not sure if that's an average, a cap, a max, or what.

If that 170 is accurate for Illinois, they could have 12 players test positive and still be below red. That would mean only 2 on the list would need to be out for something other than a positive test which seems possible. And even if they're in the red, they could still play if test positivity is in the orange.

Test positivity rate is probably better because of the timing. To make the math easy, let's say they are testing 100 people once a day. Last Saturday through this Wednesday, everyone was negative, so 500 negative tests. Thursday and Friday, 14 tested positive each day and 86 tested negative each day. Total over 7 days is 28 positive tests out of 700 total tests so they're at 2% and right on the edge of the green and orange zones (assuming none of the non-players being tested are positive). For Wisconsin, the positives came earlier before the game so by game day, they wouldn't have that padding of days where everyone tested negative in their 7 day rolling average.

I'm just mad that Wisconsin (UW and State of) spilled their uncontrolled Coronavirus problems into my state. Shut the whole thing down, Packers included.

Oh, and Illinois QB2 is in for a career game next week

This COVID year just kind of shows what a messed up year this will be.

If you are doing a "reload / rebuild" year, this is probably the best year to do it.
Winning a Big Ten Title this year will be the weakest Big Ten Title in some time.

The city/area as a whole doesn't matter.

There are two measures they look at, test positivity rate and population positivity rate. Test positivity rate is total positive tests divided by total tests over a 7 day rolling average, where 2-5% is orange and over 5% is red. Population positivity rate is the number of people who are currently positive divided by the number of people involved in the testing program, where 3.5-7.5% is orange and over 7.5% is red. Both seem to include more than just the players but it's unclear how broad it is. At the very least it seems to include the coaches and it could potentially include anyone who comes near the players. I've seen 170 people tested per team thrown around but I'm not sure if that's an average, a cap, a max, or what.

If that 170 is accurate for Illinois, they could have 12 players test positive and still be below red. That would mean only 2 on the list would need to be out for something other than a positive test which seems possible. And even if they're in the red, they could still play if test positivity is in the orange.

Test positivity rate is probably better because of the timing. To make the math easy, let's say they are testing 100 people once a day. Last Saturday through this Wednesday, everyone was negative, so 500 negative tests. Thursday and Friday, 14 tested positive each day and 86 tested negative each day. Total over 7 days is 28 positive tests out of 700 total tests so they're at 2% and right on the edge of the green and orange zones (assuming none of the non-players being tested are positive). For Wisconsin, the positives came earlier before the game so by game day, they wouldn't have that padding of days where everyone tested negative in their 7 day rolling average.
Thanks for this post! I had it wrong.

This COVID year just kind of shows what a messed up year this will be.

If you are doing a "reload / rebuild" year, this is probably the best year to do it.
Winning a Big Ten Title this year will be the weakest Big Ten Title in some time.

How do we rebuild exactly when the guys we have right now are going to be here for a few more years and they are terrible? Are we really going to be better next year or the year after if the guys right now are slow, play out of position, and can’t tackle? If anything, I feel like we might go backwards for a few years until we get a new coach.

Also does it really make a difference if Illinois has a bunch of players out? We couldn’t stop Maryland and they are supposed to be much worse than Illinois.

How do we rebuild exactly when the guys we have right now are going to be here for a few more years and they are terrible? Are we really going to be better next year or the year after if the guys right now are slow, play out of position, and can’t tackle? If anything, I feel like we might go backwards for a few years until we get a new coach.

Also does it really make a difference if Illinois has a bunch of players out? We couldn’t stop Maryland and they are supposed to be much worse than Illinois.

I'll explain how.

1. I think Deangelo Carter is a pretty good player. He had the Int last night and he's a redshirt freshman. Give him another year or two in the weight room, and you might have your NT to anchor your line for 2-3 years.

1b. We have good DL talent coming in the next class and some as pure freshman right now. They are only 18-19 year olds right now so they haven't fully grown into their bodies like D-lineman need to in the Big Ten. The fact they aren't playing isn't because they aren't talented enough to start it's because they are growing yet.

2. I think Lindenberg is going to be really good. He's a freshman.

3. Tyler Nubin might be good. He's starting his first couple games and looks a little like he's thinking too much and not playing freely.

4. We'll get Braelen Oliver back probably next year. He showed signs of being special last year.

5. We are only two games in and we didn't have a lot of camp time. I think PJ will have options to fix some things with guys who are currently on the roster and not playing yet. I think he'll be patient with a few guys, but we might start to see some other guys rotate in at LB.

6. I think our secondary is still probably going to be okay if we get a pass rush. Taulia T was making some great throws last night between CB's and Safeties. If a QB makes those throws on any defense, it's hard to stop. Not all QB's will hit those like he did last night.

I don't think all of these guys stink, I think they will all get better during the next 6 games and through next year.

I'll explain how.

1. I think Deangelo Carter is a pretty good player. He had the Int last night and he's a redshirt freshman. Give him another year or two in the weight room, and you might have your NT to anchor your line for 2-3 years.

1b. We have good DL talent coming in the next class and some as pure freshman right now. They are only 18-19 year olds right now so they haven't fully grown into their bodies like D-lineman need to in the Big Ten. The fact they aren't playing isn't because they aren't talented enough to start it's because they are growing yet.

3. Tyler Nubin might be good. He's starting his first couple games and looks a little like he's thinking too much and not playing freely.

4. We'll get Braelen Oliver back probably next year. He showed signs of being special last year.

5. We are only two games in and we didn't have a lot of camp time. I think PJ will have options to fix some things with guys who are currently on the roster and not playing yet. I think he'll be patient with a few guys, but we might start to see some other guys rotate in at LB.

6. I think our secondary is still probably going to be okay if we get a pass rush. Taulia T was making some great throws last night between CB's and Safeties. If a QB makes those throws on any defense, it's hard to stop. Not all QB's will hit those like he did last night.

I don't think all of these guys stink, I think they will all get better during the next 6 games and through next year.

All I can say is that I hope you’re right. Though going from Week 1 and Week 2 has dashed my hopes pretty badly.

I'll explain how.

Agreed on all accounts. This season is going to be a major disappointment compared to my expectations 10 days ago. But I’m not sure I’m ready to shitcan the program and start over yet

All I can say is that I hope you’re right. Though going from Week 1 and Week 2 has dashed my hopes pretty badly.

I mean, these aren't the only options either.
In 2018 our defense sucked. They switched something, and then we were a top defense for the last few games of the year. I don't know how that happened, but it's not like we have 45 defensive players all who have no clue how to play football and all are undersized / too slow to play big ten football. If they are all too slow and too small, other teams wouldn't have been trying to recruit them.

Top Bottom