ILL vs. USC

Tater

f.k.a. "Tubtastic"
Reaction score
Anybody else watching this game? IL is killing USC 33-14 in the first half. I can't tell if Groce has a good team or if USC is that $hitty.

USC looks very sloppy. If they play like this against the Gophs they'll lose by 25.

USC looks awful, but Illinois plays some pretty tenacious perimeter D. USC has had a ton of possessions where the ball never gets inside the 3 point line.

Illinois up 57 - 26 at half. Wow what a pasting

Illinois was fired up and focused, USC was not prepared to play at that intensity level - too many open shooters for Illinois and too many turnovers (both forced and unforced) for USC. I like John Groce, I said before I think he get Illinois to have a bounce-back year this year, perhaps an NCAA tourney berth. The first half USC helped make Illinois look like a top-10 team. Let's see what happens if and when Illinois plays a real team (UNC) in the final at Maui.

But it was definitely an incredible roll that Illinois was on, to make the last 11 shots they took in the half. Clearly their players were locked in and ready.

Ugly.

63-36 Illini, 14:32 2nd half

Not sure why you guys are surprised by this. They were terrible last year when we beat them.

Not overly surprised but I did hear that USc was supposed to be improved and IL was supposed to fall off a tad with a new coach.

Illinois was shooting lights out in the first half, slack defense might have got them started but they weren't missing, shoot like that in the B1G and they could beat anybody.

I remember USC being a completely awful team when we played them last year. Inferior to some of the "local" D1 teams we played, in fact (e.g. SDSU, NDSU).

USC is a bad team, but Illinois isn't. At latenighthoops.com we picked the Illini as #7 in the B1G... that's a bit higher than others had them, but they've got some veteran players and a number of very good sophomores who should make a nice jump this season. Hard not to place a lot of the blame for poor seasons in recent years on Bruce Weber.

He writes some pretty good stuff and some pretty crappy stuff, but he is fun to read, and I, for 1, am glad to have in on GopherHole.

Glad he is not staff and has his own site & if people enjoy it, great. Don't care if he post here or not, unless he goes on another tirade.

Top Bottom