ILL looking good at Wisky

Wisconsin screws us even when they lose! Not good for the bubble if Illinois wins.

Kudos to the Illini

The upside is Bo loses at home! Who-Ray!

The downside is the Gophers just can not catch a break this year. They will have to suck it up and win the games they need to win, one at a time.

They certainly have opportunities in front of them.

Go Gophers!

I do not think Illinois beating Wisky is necessarily bad for us. Now, Illinois is 9-3. They have 4 winnable games in the schedule, namely vs. OSU, at Michigan, vs. MN, and vs. Wisconsin. Those games are at least 50-50. It is very likely that they are to win 2 or more games. Even with just two more wins, Illinois could be a lock as long as they beat either OSU or Wisconsin. 11 conference wins, top 40 rpi by the end of the season (I think), 3 wins against top 25 opponents with high rpi (a road win at Wisconsin to boot) with a good road win at Clemson, etc., probably are enough to counter-balance the three bad losses in the early part of the season. They might be the 5th lock for the Big Ten. Not of bubble status.

goferit

I do not think Illinois beating Wisky is necessarily bad for us. Now, Illinois is 9-3. They have 4 winnable games in the schedule, namely vs. OSU, at Michigan, vs. MN, and vs. Wisconsin. Those games are at least 50-50. It is very likely that they are to win 2 or more games. Even with just two more wins, Illinois could be a lock as long as they beat either OSU or Wisconsin. 11 conference wins, top 40 rpi by the end of the season (I think), 3 wins against top 25 opponents with high rpi (a road win at Wisconsin to boot) with a good road win at Clemson, etc., probably are enough to counter-balance the three bad losses in the early part of the season. They might be the 5th lock for the Big Ten. Not of bubble status.

I think it bodes ill for us as the chances of the Gophers getting to 5th place now have been diminished. Additionally I do not believe the Big Ten is guaranteed six spots in the tourney nor are we guaranteed finishing in sixth!

I still have hope they can get to 11-7!

It's never too early to start rooting for other bubbles teams to lose.

We want Texas Tech to lose at Oklahoma- Currently TTU up 4 with 4 mins

We want Wichita State to lose to Evansville. WSU losing by 3 in the 2nd half

We wanted Virginia Commonwealth to lose and they did.

The Gophers can win their way into the tournament, regardless of what Illinois does. So just revel in the Becky defeat!

I think it bodes ill for us as the chances of the Gophers getting to 5th place now have been diminished. Additionally I do not believe the Big Ten is guaranteed six spots in the tourney nor are we guaranteed finishing in sixth!

I still have hope they can get to 11-7!

I do understand what you are saying here as I have been checking up on Illinois and NW since they are the likely bubble competitors. But, I think it is meaningful only when they are indeed to become bubbles. I no longer believe that Illinois is a bubble unless some weird thing happens down the road. I may be wrong here.

I do not think there is a quota of bids per conference. If there are enough teams with qualifications better than others', the Big Ten may have as many as seven teams in. If something happens to Illinois, NW and us such that we all finish 9-9 with no more meaningful wins, the Big Ten may end up with 4 teams in. The way things are going, I think 5 locks and one bubble (burst or not) are possible for the Big Ten. But, that does not mean I think we deserve so many berths just because we are a BCS conference.

Thanks for the help, Illini. You guys have a brutal schedule and won't be at the top in the end, but I was worried about the Badgers. Yay.

Illinois played a heck of a game. At one point they made 15 of 17 shots. They deserve a lot of credit for shooting the ball like that. The game was tied at 53 and the Badgers usually make the plays to win those games at home. Oh well.

Next.

Illini win is killer for Gophers' BTT bye chances

I was hoping we could catch Illinois in the standings, but with the Illini's clutch performances in their last 2 games that's now looking like a monumental task. Now it looks like the Gophers (yet again) will have to play the first day of the BTT. Whether it's as a 6 or 7 seed, not thrilled with the idea of having to play Indiana, Iowa or Penn State on play-in Thursday. A win does absolutely nothing for the Gophers, but the dreaded bad loss would seal their fate.

Top Bottom