I'll know things have changed for Gopher Football in 2012 when:

When no one gets their underwear all twisted up in knots just because one of the usual subjects (Reusse, Barreiro, etc.) takes a cheap shot.

When we "chop down the posts" AT Madison . . .

This. If this happens, nobody could deny that things will be different around here. No other single suggestion on this board would turn Gopher football fandom on its collective head like pulling this off.

And it's not that they are colossally better than us. It's the undeniable, and unrelenting bitter taste we've had in our mouths ever since a certain blocked punt. Ever since that precise moment, I have seen wisky football achieve football glory that they clearly don't deserve, and we have slowly slipped from:

beating Michigan on the road (the previous week) and then pounding wisky into submission on the ground for 58 minutes on one hand
---and now--- firing two head coaches and losing to FCS opponents two years in a row on the other hand.

I want us to steal it from them, and I want them to be undefeated up to that point. I want them to feel completely robbed.

That is when I'll know things have changed around here.

(EDIT: distant second would be beating a damn good Michigan team in their first game at The Bank, after they went undefeated all-time at the Dome - that will be a pleasant changing of the guard as well)

when I am surprised they lose rather than hoping they win.

I think the only way I will feel like things have changed is when we start winning the conference games against the teams we should be on an even level with and are at the very least competitive with the ranked teams in the conference. Starting the season 4-0 would be awesome but looking at the competition that really should be a minimum expectation, we will know Kill is getting it done when the conference win total starts increasing.

If the gophs finish the non con 2-2 it will be an improvement from 2011. just sayin'.

When we can go a full game without a foul-start call on 3rd and short.

Top Bottom