If you're going to schedule Quad 4 games...

Jeopardy
A: UST
Q: How low can the value of a quad4 game get?

I have absolutely nothing against St Thomas, but if I was coaching the Gophers, I would never schedule them. Other than a slight uptick in one game for attendance, I see that as a lose-lose situation for the U of M. While just far-off rumors at this point, it makes sense for the Big East to contact them one day to possibly join (private school, Twin Cities market, huge alumni presence, location to the other west schools of the conference (Creighton, Marquette, DePaul). Why help them in their transition to D1? All of a sudden they could be the cream of the Summit League with a new basketball arena planned, rolling their way to a Big East invite and... if getting accepted... making it even harder to recruit Minnesota kids for the Gophers. If they didn't check all those Big East boxes, I'd have no problem playing them.

I have absolutely nothing against St Thomas, but if I was coaching the Gophers, I would never schedule them. Other than a slight uptick in one game for attendance, I see that as a lose-lose situation for the U of M. While just far-off rumors at this point, it makes sense for the Big East to contact them one day to possibly join (private school, Twin Cities market, huge alumni presence, location to the other west schools of the conference (Creighton, Marquette, DePaul). Why help them in their transition to D1? All of a sudden they could be the cream of the Summit League with a new basketball arena planned, rolling their way to a Big East invite and... if getting accepted... making it even harder to recruit Minnesota kids for the Gophers. If they didn't check all those Big East boxes, I'd have no problem playing them.

Yeah it's not in the best interest of the U for sure. There's no need when you can pay Wisconsin GB, SDSU, NDSU, UND and many others who don't directly compete with your market. That being said, basketball is a little more willing to play those games compared to in football so who knows.

Small point, but relevant: not just private, but Catholic.

Yeah it's not in the best interest of the U for sure. There's no need when you can pay Wisconsin GB, SDSU, NDSU, UND and many others who don't directly compete with your market. That being said, basketball is a little more willing to play those games compared to in football so who knows.
The Dakotas don’t recruit the Cities, or have large numbers of alumni here?

The Dakotas don’t recruit the Cities, or have large numbers of alumni here?

Of course they do, but it's not just down the road for a kid who wants to stay in the TC area. Roles are reversed, but it's similar to Marquette and UW Milwaukee not playing since like 2011 or something. Just no real benefit to the U.

Of course they do, but it's not just down the road for a kid who wants to stay in the TC area. Roles are reversed, but it's similar to Marquette and UW Milwaukee not playing since like 2011 or something. Just no real benefit to the U.
That is a good comparison, fair enough.

I'm not seeing a huge benefit outside of a few more tickets sold for one game, but I can't look at this as a possibility to lose recruits to St. Thomas. From a football standpoint it would hurt losing on walk on or role type players but in basketball things are different. St. Thomas won't compete for the super star Twin Cities players for many man years...heck, in most cases the Gophers can't compete for those players!

The biggest negative I see would be in the NET ranking. My guess is St. Thomas will be nowhere near a top 75-100 NET team for quite a while. When it comes to NET screw geography. Get some teams on the schedule that will help those rankings even if they are in smaller conferences.

Put it this way:

Why pay Arkansas-Pine Bluff $50K, when you can pay UST $30K.

Plus, you can draw an extra 3K.

I am not saying schedule UST in addition to Pine Bluff, I say schedule UST instead of Pine Bluff.

Last edited:

Along time ago i talked to a very successful coach who told me that he scheduled the lower level D1 teams in his state because it grew the game in the state. That was proven to be true. Later on his son did it in another state and as a power lost some of those. Big deal, it helped those programs and eventually made his even better.

Along time ago i talked to a very successful coach who told me that he scheduled the lower level D1 teams in his state because it grew the game in the state. That was proven to be true. Later on his son did it in another state and as a power lost some of those. Big deal, it helped those programs and eventually made his even better.
If its gonna help us in the NET yeah, if not I'll take a pass.

If its gonna help us in the NET yeah, if not I'll take a pass.
Win enough games in the conference, win more than 10% of our games against ranked teams. If St. Thomas hires the right coach they can have a wonderful program within 4 years of starting.

We know who UST’s coach is going to be the first four years.,

If D1 Basketball is not what John Tauer signed up for, or is suited for, maybe they can get Sean Sweeney, who played at UST to come back and be the HC.

He appears to be more of an NBA guy, but not a bad candidate, other wise I'd hire Todd Licklighter right away. (okay not so much) They could do a lot worse than hiring the old DeLasalle coach Dave Thorson and ex Clem assistant as well.

We know who UST’s coach is going to be the first four years.,
That is a good plan for transitional stability but i would be surprised if he got 4 years in. They have their eye on coaches for two years from right now. I know of one that will be sought after and a great fit and he will win.

Why would you be surprised if Tauer got 4 years in? Who is they? AD? President?

Why can’t Tauer win there?
Maybe he can but he has few recruiting ties and a staff with very little. It now requires full time plus. He is a very good teacher. The strong candidate i refer of i can not name as a breach of confidentiality.

Recruiting ties can't be learned/created?

If UST is offering a Summit League scholarship to a player of that level, isn't that local opportunity in of itself a thing that would attract that player (as opposed to having to leave for a Dakota school)?

Maybe he can but he has few recruiting ties and a staff with very little. It now requires full time plus. He is a very good teacher. The strong candidate i refer of i can not name as a breach of confidentiality.
Within the State he has strong recruiting ties just within the big schools alone. wayzata EP, East Ridge CDH.... minnnehaha..

He will need to upgrade and diversify his staff.

Tauer will be recruiting to win in the Summit not the ACC...

Within the State he has strong recruiting ties just within the big schools alone. wayzata EP, East Ridge CDH.... minnnehaha..

Bolded: need a black assistant coach to recruit black players? I'm not trying to start some culture wars BS. Genuinely asking if this is just the norm of how it's done at the higher levels.

He will have to get much better players than what he has been able to get out of the state.

Of course he will goes without saying. However now he goes out State now he is a D-1 coach who can give a kid a $240K scholarship

Put it this way:

Why pay Arkansas-Pine Bluff $50K, when you can pay UST $30K.

Plus, you can draw an extra 3K.

I am not saying schedule UST in addition to Pine Bluff, I say schedule UST instead of Pine Bluff.
Yeah. The cheaper money game is the angle for the U

Top Bottom