If you could bring back one Gopher from the past 10 years...

AAK led the nation in passing efficiency and he could run, too. Obviously we need a back who can break tackles - MBIII. Willie would be the guy on defense. Remarks on Weber here are interesting. He completed passes at a better clip than Gray, but was not as good a runner. AAK would have done the job and we'd be maybe 4-3 now.

Bob: AAK had a GREAT line, Great running backs and some Great receivers at his disposal. I would have loved to have seen Weber with that kind of support. In fact, I would love to see Gray with that kind of support. Even Shortel with that kind of support. That kind of support helps quarterbacks look SO much better.

How about Corey Sauter with that kind of support? Billy Cockerham with that kind of support would have been fun to see as well. I think a lot of the qb's the Gophers had would have looked pretty darn good with that 2003 offensive TEAM AAK included.

I really don't know how any of the qb's would have looked (other than Weber who pretty much had to play without much support of the kind the 2003 team had...)

; 0 )

MBIII (or Maroney). A legitimate nfl running back can have a HUGE impact on a below average college football team. For example, the Gophers when they had Barber and Maroney.

I would say Barber, Maroney, or Decker. This team is in desperate need for a playmaker on offense and anyone of these three were pretty good at making plays. I think I would lean towards Maroney. In my opinion he was a better college running back.

Gordy Shaw to coach the O-line and recruit Minnesota. Sorry I know you mean a player, but long-term I'd love to have Gordy back. I'd sure love to have either MBIII and Maroney in the backfield again. Tyrone Carter on D.

With all due respect, most of the answers are stupid.

Who would most improve out team?

The answer is obvious: Greg Eslinger changed games. He allowed us to change match-up numbers after the snap.

If Carter is eligible, he comes in #2.

Clarifications: Our best back was Barber. Our best receiver was Decker. Our best pass rusher was Riley. Our best quarterback was....I have no clue. I happen to think Khaliq, Cupito and Weber all had pretty good ceilings, regardless of how things turned out.

Our O-Line and running game is so bad that not even Eslinger would help enough imo. WVD would help get a rare pass rush-thus helping the poor D-Backfield out. I'd go with defensive help in a heartbeat.

Tyrone Carter's last season was 99-00, which would be 11 years ago, am I not mistaken?

DE or DT

I start with trying to build on defense first. We need a plugger DTthat takes up a lot of blocks in the middle or someone that could get pressure from the middle, I would take Garret Brownb or John Schlect back in a heart beat, they would keep the linebackers cleaner and we would not be able to be run on as easily. There are less cut-backs and easier plays for the linebackers with one more DT. For DE it is WVS "Willie" or Greg "Stylez" G White, both were the Gophers last two good pass rushers.

Are you guys kidding? Youd bring back a mediocre qb to lead us to maybe 3 wins instead of 1?

I'd bring back freshman Lawrence maroney. His hr threat instantly makes the whole team better.

No love for JewJew Party?

Maybe I missed it, I didn't read all the posts.

Barber or Maroney were who I thought of first, but I'm not sure how effective they would be with this line. A guy like Eslinger could be the leader of the O-line and open up some lanes.

Gopherdude is the first to suggest a DT. I actually think Kirksey and Jacobs have been ok this year, it seems that we give up most of the running yards off tackle. Hopefully Amaefula and Perry et al can learn to contain the edges and force plays back inside.

My point wasn't to take a shot at Kirksey or Jacobs, just to start building with DT

I think both of them have played pretty well this year, considering everything else on the line. I like that we have been stout at times up the middle and Kirksey and Jacobs have been apart of that. Behind those two we do not have a lot of guys. I think starting on defense and using the model everyone uses, large big men that can plug, at the DT and NG spots, fight off blocks and keep the linebackers from taking on lineman are ideal. Starting there we had two good tackles in the past that would have worked well together Garret Brown and John Schlect were good college defensive tackles that would have worked well with this group of linebackers, just my opinion though.

If you could get a Shawn Cody, Warren Sapp or a Nagota type from the Ravens in the middle you can build everything from there(this is being captain obvious). Problem is these are the toughest, rairest types of athletes and guy's to recruit and get, quick large guys that can really move and close down the middle and down the line. Kirksey was pretty good with Brown in the past was another thought, they were a good tandem as was Small and Brown.

I didn't take it as a shot, just a different point of view.

I actually think one of the biggest reasons we've struggled so much in Big 10 play (and NDSU) is the loss of Stoudemire. The defense Claeys installed was built around his ability to play boundary corner, and we sure could use his coverage and tackling ability. By having him out since the NDSU game, it's also exposed our lack of depth. Our defense definitely would have been more competitive the last 4 games with T Stoud and K Henderson starting and others like B Vereen and M Carter as the nickel/dime backs. K Hendeson really stepped up and played well against Nebraska.

Players:
1. Karon Riley (first thought)
2. Tyrone Carter
3. Greg Eslinger
4. Eric Decker
5. MB III

Coach:
David Gibbs

Eric Decker - we currently do not have a playmaker on offense.

Top Bottom