If you could bring back one Gopher from the past 10 years...

John Galt

Reaction score
to help this current team, who would it be and why?

My vote would be for Willie VanDeSteeg. We desperately need a consistent pass rush off the edge. I'd argue that we would be 3-4 or 4-3 if he was on this team (with victories over NMSU, NDSU, and possibly USC).

2nd choice would be Eslinger to improve the line play. He was so good at pulling, getting into space and making the key block.

Dominique Barber. A sure tackler at safety that could limit the damage on some of the big plays (or maybe Adam Weber....3....2.....1...okay let me have it ;))

Decker

He'd make Gray a lot better as a passer.

How about Eslinger to help the O-line. Not a sexy choice, but he'd be a lot of help.

Willie V. was my first thought, so I'll go with him.

What about Glen Mason, nobody said anything about it having to be a player. Just kidding. There are a lot of players I would like to see back on this team, but I don't think bringing back just ONE player, no matter what position they play is going to help, except maybe on the O-line. So maybe a Eslinger or Setterstrom. I love Willie, but I would just run plays to the opposite side he is on making it harder for him to have an impact, same goes for Barber and TC. Decker and Spaeth wouldn't help if the line doesn't give our QB time to pass, and we also have to hope one of our SUB 50% passers could get the ball to them, but at least we know they probably wouldn't drop the pass if it got to them.

Karon Riley

Or any of the following at the helm, in no particular order:

> AAK
> Cupito
> Weber
> Foggie
> Cockerham

Tyrone Carter would also be a good one.

Carter wasn't here during the last 10 years.

1. Ron Johnson 2. Willie VDS 3. Eslninger/Setterstrom 4. Adam Weber 5. Eric Decker

Willie V. is my choice. Second choice is all of the above.

I'd probably have picked Carter but he's too long ago (so is Karon Riley, his last season was 2000).

Willie makes sense, but i'd probably go with AAK.

I'm thinking of a cheerleader that would do things my wife never even thought of.

I'm thinking of a cheerleader that would do things my wife never even thought of.

This brings up the point of the hot twin cheerleaders. Anyone who attended the U from c. 1996-2001 knows what I'm talking about. I have no idea what their names were, but they were often the object of lust in my social circle. Frankly, they weren't even that good-looking, but the whole "twin" thing bumped them from like a 6 to a 9. We need them back on the sidelines.

This brings up the point of the hot twin cheerleaders. Anyone who attended the U from c. 1996-2001 knows what I'm talking about. I have no idea what their names were, but they were often the object of lust in my social circle. Frankly, they weren't even that good-looking, but the whole "twin" thing bumped them from like a 6 to a 9. We need them back on the sidelines.

I know who you are talking about. They are a combined 12, I agree with your assesment. If they weren't twins, no one would have been talking about them.

1. Adam Weber (Could run the team without an offensive line or running game and had experience in fighting for his life on virtually every play. A TOUGH kid.
2.MBIII (could pick up yards on his own and could pick up the blitz. Also, I think he and Gray would make a great combination for the running game. Some good faking and a lot of linebackers would get beaten up trying to tackle both. What a punishing combination.....they would make the OL look a LOT better, and most likely would help the OL BE a lot more effective. MBIII could also catch the ball out of the backfield. What a great option for an "option game...")
3.Thomas Tepeh (could pick up yards on his own and could pass block)
4.Eslinger...An Offensive line starts with the center.
5. Ron Johnson: He flat-out went out and got the ball. He was physical and strong.

Weber. If he had an extra year of eligibility we would be doing much better on offense, especially with all the experience he had with rotating coordinators :)

Honestly though, I think we beat USC, NDSU, and NMSU with Weber. If we had a five year, 60% qb in any of those games its a victory. There are more sustained drives, and more balance to the offense, as Weber's arm was solid and accurate enough to pose a threat. Just no flat routes. Plus, I just plain and simple miss the spin move sack.

Surprised no one has said Maroney. Of all the players we've had the last 10 years, he would make the the most immediate and biggest impact on this team.

There's a couple I'd like back - certainly Eslinger, MBIII and Big Willie. Would love a healthy Brandon Owens right about now too. How about a Decker/Payne receiving corps. And that's about it...sad

Weber. If he had an extra year of eligibility we would be doing much better on offense, especially with all the experience he had with rotating coordinators :)

Honestly though, I think we beat USC, NDSU, and NMSU with Weber. If we had a five year, 60% qb in any of those games its a victory. There are more sustained drives, and more balance to the offense, as Weber's arm was solid and accurate enough to pose a threat. Just no flat routes. Plus, I just plain and simple miss the spin move sack.

I agree with that. #2 and #3 would be Decker and Willie.

Anyone want to alter the question a little bit just for the hell of it? If you could take one offensive player and on defensive player from any college team in America right now and put him on our team for this year only, who would it be (excluding Luck because that's too easy)?

I'd go with QB Robert Griffin from Baylor and CB Tyrann Mathieu from LSU. I know he just got suspended but the guy is all over the place.

I'm cheating and hitting one for each side of the ball.

Offensively, I won't go QB, though a senior Weber this year would have helped a lot. I will say Ron Johnson. I was close to saying Maroney, but I don't know if we'd have the holes to allow him to unleash. Having two big play type receivers would help McKnight, as well as offer two targets to help move chains and also get a lot of TDs, which is something both guys are capable of getting.

Defensively, I'd go WVDS. We need pass rushing in the worst way, and in the last decade, he was our best one that I can remember. That would help the secondary as well, as QBs with less time to throw make secondaries look better than they are.

With all due respect, most of the answers are stupid.

Who would most improve out team?

The answer is obvious: Greg Eslinger changed games. He allowed us to change match-up numbers after the snap.

If Carter is eligible, he comes in #2.

Clarifications: Our best back was Barber. Our best receiver was Decker. Our best pass rusher was Riley. Our best quarterback was....I have no clue. I happen to think Khaliq, Cupito and Weber all had pretty good ceilings, regardless of how things turned out.

Kaliq. This football season has illustrated just how bad it gets when you don't have a QB. See Colts, Indianapolis in addition to our own issues.

Clarifications: Our best back was Barber. Our best receiver was Decker. Our best pass rusher was Riley. Our best quarterback was....I have no clue. I happen to think Khaliq, Cupito and Weber all had pretty good ceilings, regardless of how things turned out.

With all due respect to Barber, I'll take Maroney and his breakaawy speed. Agree on Decker if he's healthy. At QB, I'll take Billy Cockerum (sp?) running the option.

Sorry to get off topic again, but a friend and I were looking at the dance team closely on Saturday and thought that there were 2 sets of twins on the team. There are two short blondes (typically on the far right) and they are Flip Saunders' girls. Not sure if they are twins. Something to look for next week.

gophertime said:

With all due respect to Barber, I'll take Maroney and his breakaawy speed. Agree on Decker if he's healthy. At QB, I'll take Billy Cockerum (sp?) running the option.

Unfortunately, Maroney wasn't a great blocker, especially in pass protection. For that reason I'd take Barber over him.

The answer is obvious: Greg Eslinger changed games. He allowed us to change match-up numbers after the snap.

Not so fast my friend. Setterstrom should get equal love then. A great lineman and leader. Too bad you are only going ten years. DE Lamanzer Williams if he played like he did his senior season would have been my choice. He was the first AA since Kingswriter in 71'(?).

Eslinger was great, but I personally think our QB play, our WR's are so bad that it wouldn't have mattered that much. We have a hard time completing a 10 yard pass when we have time. Eslinger was great, and if we were slightly better (or if this same question was last year), I would have picked Eslinger.

Now, we need a QB. I think Khaliq was quite a step up from Weber in terms of being a college QB. I especially think he would have made a lot of sense in our current offense.

Top Bottom